Looking good Will. Saw ol' Bemular there on facespace and decided to stick my beak in. 

For texture to the rod you could always use some of the gel medium you used on the water of your 'nid board. You could also try some clear bathroom sealant. 

• Like 1

Oh wow sculpting! Fantastic, i think you'll find once you've done it it can become quite addictive and open a ton of creative possibilities.

Hes looking good already Will, nice shape. And yeah if you have areas that are less than 6mm in thickness its best to make sure it has a lot of support underneath because super sculpey is quite brittle once baked.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

There's something. ... unsettling about that creation. 

Creepy naked Pingu is creepy.

2 hours ago, Blastvader said:

Looking good Will. Saw ol' Bemular there on facespace and decided to stick my beak in. 

For texture to the rod you could always use some of the gel medium you used on the water of your 'nid board. You could also try some clear bathroom sealant. 

Oh-ho, does that mean we know one another in RL, or at least both members of 'Eavier Metal?

The gel might work - the trick I think is to get something that I can pull into points which gel might not have enough grab to do. Epoxy will work but needs to be at just the right point. Bathroom sealant is a good idea, I've seen "pointy" things done with that although it usually looks a bit cloudy?

1 hour ago, Hunter Rose said:

Oh wow sculpting! Fantastic, i think you'll find once you've done it it can become quite addictive and open a ton of creative possibilities.

I'm absolutely loving it at the moment, the sculpt-bake-sculpt-bake cycle is really good because you don't need to keep it all workable all the time. I'm sure I'm making all kinds of noobish mistakes but since I'm modelling a dodgy rubber suit (and creating a model of a man wearing one, ahaha) I can probably get away with a lot.

This evening I've added the lower lip, chins, throat plating, which is a bit Tyranid-style (write what you know) and some diamond scales at the very bottom. Again I think it's more detailed in reality than in the photo - the clay hides detail which will show up when primed, but I suspect flaws that are invisible now will spring into being too.

30844238541_ed8e1e7431_b.jpg

I'm having to make surface features up since the photos I have are neither detailed nor clear, but that's quite fun.

I need to think about how to support the many back spines - I was thinking about drilling holes and gluing in wire, or maybe card or mesh fins to back up the clay?

Cheers,

Will

• Like 8

The latter Will. Never been to NZ.

As for the other thing: gel mediums can be shaped if you allow them to partially dry before doing so. Though I'm not sure how sharply defined one could get the peaks.

When it comes to bathroom sealant you need to look for stuff that says it is 'cristal' clear rather than just clear. Also the milkyness sometimes seen could be because the stuff requires moisture to go off, if it is put on too thick it forms an impermeable skin and the stuff in the centre will never cure. 

Toodles,

Paul

Due mostly to this topic, I spent all day on the couch watching season one of Ulraman. I also got half way through 80. Great times.

As far as the skin goes, go to Amazon and look up Ultraman Bemluar. They have tons of high res photos of the toys and statues that are out there. My son owns the 500 series figure of Bemluar, but it's really crude. They might could help.  I would post links,  but I'm not sure of the rules. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jessica said:

h0883ACBA

Baltans iz creepy, evun Ceiling Cat fearz Baltans. Young Miss Vale was quite into Ultraman until the Baltans episode...

Haven't done much today, I did manage to snap off the end of the lower lip while packing the jaw with tinfoil but it was a clean break and easy enough to fix with CA. I then filled in the lower mouth but haven't sculpted it yet, and started building up the shape of the features. Miss Vale and I visited the craft shop and got some nice glass eyes which fit perfectly, but on reflection have pupils which are rather too large:

30951976095_cc4e0be94a_b.jpg

It makes him look totally adorable rather than confused and angry, which isn't really the right look. I want to illuminate the eyes from behind, so I need to find some cabochons or beads that'll fit, or maybe I can make some spheres from translucent polymer clay and use those? I could even use something plastic but I'll need to fit them after baking and do the eyelids with epoxy putty.

Choice choices. In the meantime I'm going to finish the head and start in on the death by a thousand spikes...

30650045480_828606fd98_b.jpg

Cheers,

Will

• Like 5

Sculpting spikes at the moment - I tried adding wire for a couple of long ones but I think I'm mostly going to try and wing it.

All made much more exciting by another big quake in Christchurch which went on for what seemed like ages here. No damage but a couple of things fell over and the aftershocks are turning my stomach to jelly...

:jelly: <-- new forum is ace

Will

11 hours ago, Will Vale said:

another big quake in Christchurch

*groan* not another one.... I really want my friends and family to leave there but alas - they're too stubborn 

Edited by Madhatter

He's looking good Will, just looked up a photo and i see what you mean about the eyes which is a shame, they look good but yeah a bit too 'adorable'.

Its funny i dont know if you're an A Team fan but it looks just like the monster suit Hannibal used in one of his fim roles (and was in the main credits at the start)

Edit: oh man yeah heard about the quakes on the news, hope you stay safe mate

17 minutes ago, Will Vale said:

new forum is ace

That was also present in the old forum :rolleyes::pie: wasn't though :)

There's a significant danger of your Benjamin looking better than the original... I know that's not technically difficult, but you have a decision to make.  Stay faithful to the original, or do the best you can.  Those two statements being polar opposites! :lol: I dare you to make a detachable "flame hat" for old Bumbler as well! :rofl:

I clearly didn't explore the emoticons enough before :)

I'm trying to keep the outlines quite close to the original but fill in the details, especially surface texture, myself. I looked at some of the toys on Amazon but they're a bit too cleaned up looking, although they do help figure out some of the volumes and how the connect to each other.

There's also this neat thing, which is someone's take on "what Bemular would be like if he was cool" as far as I can see :)

24809497706_da549a7acd_b.jpgBemular by TOKYO TAG TEAM, on Flickr

I think he lacks a little of the original's charm though!

So the quake last night (which we weathered OK, thanks!) meant some extra time when there was no chance of sleeping owing to aftershocks, so I used it to sculpt some more spikes and refine the head shapes:

30966802735_a92116c7c4_b.jpg

30966806235_15b984f746_b.jpg

It's getting there, although there are some things that I haven't quite got right and it's also hard to shape the spikes as they mostly don't have any reinforcing.

The tongue is a temporary addition to help see if the mouth was working right, but I do like it :)

Cheers,

Will

• Like 4

the tongue is very reptilian which is spot on. I think a forked tongue would be quite cool - although not exactly in keeping with the original

I like the full length "cool" one - very neat. 

Glad to hear your safe and well.

• Like 2

That's Bemular from the Ultra Monster Battle movie.  He had a brief battle with an Ultraman before he was vaporized by an ultra beam. Ultraman recycles monsters all the time, his last appearance was in Orb.

Little known fact, Bemular was originally the hero of the show. They changed their minds but kept his original roar, which is Godzilla's roar played backwards.

I just really love monster movies. ...:wub:

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 3

A forked tongue would be cool, I think I'll probably stick with the Jamie Oliver Fat Tongue (tm) though.

I've been waiting for slow work stuff this morning so have been sculpting spikes, reprofiling the head, adding texture and adding the lower gum. That all gets me to here, which is the baked result.

30854918532_1276a13eab_b.jpg

22792558168_b2cea4f944_b.jpg

Again, there's more going on in the surface than is visible in the pictures. I hope!

I fitted the smaller pair of eyes I bought and I think they'll work. I need to mount them and then build out the fuller eyeball around them which will let him look forwards a bit better.

Not too much to do now - upper mouth, eyes, teeth, tongue, hands and more spikes. But I think the head was the key bit to get right.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 4

On 11/12/2016 at 0:12 AM, Will Vale said:

Usually when I try something new I get paralysed by indecision and stall for ages. Not this time!

30840849721_c244df06d4_b.jpg

Huh, looks just like me.

Not hairy enough!

I made some armatures for the claws, which are just flappy sticks on the real suit. I thought I'd look at my hands for inspriration but got left and right mixed up (classic mistake) and had to redo the thumb and palm.

25341031589_1f21d5f414_b.jpg

30675171880_672a151894_b.jpg

Not perfect, and the claws need some tidying up, but I'm pretty happy with it. The flat back of the arm will end up with some more spikes I expect!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 5