RN Armed Trawler Equipment

mdesaxe

Can anyone identify the "box" behind the sailors in these two photographs (taken aboard HMT Bedfordshire 1941-1942)? The box was on the port side roughly amidships on the deck that was fitted over what had been the fish hold.

http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/mdesaxe/media/Z940-11.jpg.html

http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/mdesaxe/media/Z940-9.jpg.html

Thank you,

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

I think the top box is a Ready-Use locker which would hold ammunition or flares etc., ready for immediate use rather than have to be brought up from the magazine.  The second box appears to be a stove but cannot think why one would be on the main deck. Another theory is that it could be a ventilation outlet from the engine room?

Mike

I would agree same box.

The end of the derrick is visible behind which would place it forward of the accommodation and trawl winch and boiler. The doorway to the right would be the companionway to the fish hold (converted to additional crew quarters).

As to use I'm going with bootneck, a ready use locker. Due to the vent / chimney seen to the right of the man I'm going with pyrotechnics of some form, the only type of locker I've seen vented.

Just my opinion, hope it  helps.....

Kev

You can see part of the same vent just poking out behind the sailor in the first photo. I would say that it's above the boiler, I'll ask my dad the next time I'm home.

You could also try the 'Hull Trawler Group' on Facebook!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your input. I have managed to locate the builder's drawings for the trawler before its conversion. The box turns out to be one of the fish hold hatch covers. The hold was converted into accommodation space for the much enlarged crew. The hatches before and abaft the one in the photos were converted into companionways. The vent was installed to improve ventilation. The odd circular covers on the top and side were there so that the trawler crew could load fish without opening the entire hatch at sea and risking swamping the hold. There actually were four covers originally; the foremost also was retained unchanged.

Thanks again,

Maurice

• Like 2