1/48 - Sukhoi Su-35 "Flanker-E" by Kitty Hawk - released - upgd kit boxing released

Homebee

• 2 weeks later...

It does look good, pleasantly surprised to see so many weapons when their releasing a weapons set too.

So after all they did not correct the tail sting. The flare dispensers are still on the top side (Part C11), while by now it is only true for the handful of prototypes, all the production aircraft have them on the underside. Even the first production batch, dark grey aircraft had them removed from the top during up-grade.

It would be intersting to see a closer look at the ejection seat.

Best regards

Gabor 

On 30/5/2017 at 8:30 PM, ya-gabor said:

So after all they did not correct the tail sting...

Gabor,

Tail sting aside, do you see any other major inaccuracy ?

Edited by galfa

The tail sting was obvious from the photos. The details are not really visible. One would need to have a closer look. 

If one takes a closer look at the different airframes in the Su-35 family (prototypes, preproduction, first batch production, current production . . .) then you will see that it is not really possible to produce one plastic kit and to be able to hang on it every possible name within the 35 family. In some cases they had considerable differences which no single kit would be able to cater for!

As I said before I would be curious to see the ejection seat. A lot of manufacturers make the mistake of adding to every Russian kit the standard (now close to 45 year old) K-36DM S2 seats without looking at the details. The seat in the Su-35 is a completely new design in every way only the K-36 name was kept as a "brand" name.

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

only the K-36 name was kept as a "brand" name.

Similar situation with Martin Baker seats. Take a Mk.4 used in a Mirage III and a Mk.4 used in a Mirage F1... they are significantly different.

5 hours ago, Laurent said:

Similar situation with Martin Baker seats.

Hi Laurent,

Well not exactly Martin-Baker had a very different concept. They adapted the basic seat version to any aircraft type and what is far more important to specific Air Force requirements (or given countries standards) in order to get the sale of the seats. This meant that the basic systems of a given seat version were used but the “body” into which it was incorporated differed / adapted to the particular aircraft types requirements ( size of the available space in the cockpit, guide rail possibilities . . .) Air Force requirement for particular parachute versions, differing harness systems, often a there was a need for knee side protection . . . So you will see from the outside a very different seat but inside it had the same rocket motor system, timer release, telescopic ejection gun, drogue gun, leg restraint . . . which were the particulars of that given mark of M-B seat.

With Zvezda it is very different. They have a defined seat structure and since for decades the Zvezda OKB has a monopoly in supplying seats to all aircraft manufacturers (in Russia), it is the aircraft makers who adapt to the size limits. The early seats (K-36D, K-36L, K-36DM, K-36DM Serii2 . . . ) all had the same seat frame and only the headrest and some other minor parts were modified as it was developed to improve operational capability. Some “internal” systems were changed, new materials used but they were all basically the same. The new generation of Zvezda seats now only have the K-36 name in common with the predecessors. A completely new “body” has brand new and far superior systems inside which have nothing to do with anything that was used before! So it is completely different from what Martin-Baker did in the past.

So lets see what KH has used.

Best regards

Gabor

1 minute ago, ya-gabor said:

So lets see what KH has used.

Final implementation may differ but... SU3519.jpg

... suggests (same assembling flow) it's the same as in the Su-17M3/M4 so an early K-36.

:analintruder: Monsieur Laurent...!!!

:shocked: Not quite able to tell whether or not Kitty Hawk have replicated the S-shaped feature on the LERX of this kit, as on the Svezda 1/72nd Flanker kit; anyone?

I see that they've done an awesome job about the correct shape of the spine! Also, the correct angle on the MLG wells!

Cheers,

Unc2   

On 6/1/2017 at 4:21 AM, ya-gabor said:

The tail sting was obvious from the photos. The details are not really visible. One would need to have a closer look. 

If one takes a closer look at the different airframes in the Su-35 family (prototypes, preproduction, first batch production, current production . . .) then you will see that it is not really possible to produce one plastic kit and to be able to hang on it every possible name within the 35 family. In some cases they had considerable differences which no single kit would be able to cater for!

As I said before I would be curious to see the ejection seat. A lot of manufacturers make the mistake of adding to every Russian kit the standard (now close to 45 year old) K-36DM S2 seats without looking at the details. The seat in the Su-35 is a completely new design in every way only the K-36 name was kept as a "brand" name.

Best regards

Gabor

How about overall shape? I cannot see anything wrong with it. It really looks good. What is your take?

9 minutes ago, foxmulder said:

How about overall shape? What is your take?

As I have said above: The details are not really visible. One would need to have a closer look.

I dont think one can make any serious review of a kit based on few photos. This would be very silly and irresponsible both in the direction of the manufacture and for fellow modellers.

There are few obvious things visible like the tail sting or the engine exhaust positioning. But it is completely fruitless to go into bloody fights over a kit that no one has held in his hand till now, like they did / do on another forum over at ARC over this kit in the past few days. It does not help a bit to form an opinion of the kit but only gives an opportunity for frustrated chat addicts to went their anger.

Pointless!!!

Lets wait and see the kit when it is available.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1

As I have said above: The details are not really visible. One would need to have a closer look.

I dont think one can make any serious review of a kit based on few photos. This would be very silly and irresponsible both in the direction of the manufacture and for fellow modellers.

There are few obvious things visible like the tail sting or the engine exhaust positioning. But it is completely fruitless to go into bloody fights over a kit that no one has held in his hand till now, like they did / do on another forum over at ARC over this kit in the past few days. It does not help a bit to form an opinion of the kit but only gives an opportunity for frustrated chat addicts to went their anger.

Pointless!!!

Lets wait and see the kit when it is available.

Best regards

Gabor

Word!

8 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

But it is completely fruitless to go into bloody fights over a kit that no one has held in his hand till now, like they did / do on another forum over at ARC over this kit in the past few days. It does not help a bit to form an opinion of the kit but only gives an opportunity for frustrated chat addicts to went their anger.

Pointless!!!

Yes, please; spare us the drama which happened over on ARC - always the same sort of pointless criticism (carried out by the very same bloke), this time about some really trivial issue as with the manufacturer not having provided the kit with the correct position for the exhausts while the aircraft is not powered while on the tarmac. :rolleyes:

Quite sure the average modeller would be able to fix that issue if only they had the correct gauge of styrene tubing to play with, some basic skills and a minimum of brains...

Oh, but the drama...  

Have to add that it would have been nice to have in the box the engine exhaust in the “static” form for the kind of money they ask for the kit. And lets not forget the year is 2017 so one can expect such things!

One has to take into account that the kit has some extra gimmicks (whether you like it or not) like an open gun bay. Has anyone ever seen it open, not only on static aircraft but anywhere during maintenance?  The one thing that would be open is the ammo box panel on the other side. To have the option to see the radar is a more likely situation but the engines would be “down” when the plane is on ground! So if anything this should have been provided rather than the gun or the radar!

Yes, one can reproduce the dropped nozzles, but will it have all the fine details that the general modelling public is expecting from a kit in 2017????

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1

Yes, one can reproduce the dropped nozzles, but will it have all the fine details that the general modelling public is expecting from a kit in 2017???? 

Gabor, I'm a lot more worried about the new KH kit having the correct shape on the LERX I've mentioned above. Dropped nozzles I'm certain I can replicate myself.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Our review sample arrived today, which is good news :)

Mike, could you please provide some cross-section piccies about the LERX area when you're good and ready?

Cheers,

Unc2