The Boeing B-17 STGB Chat

vppelt68

On 09/11/2016 at 5:02 PM, Arniec said:

I have got a Matchbox and a Revell one  in 1/72 and a 1/48 beast from Monogram as well. So I am in.

Cheers,

No one likes a show off you know ! ;) 

As Enzo would say can we put you down to build all 3 of them in this GB ? :wicked:

I'm sure I have one of these in the stash, so I'm in.

Last one I built of these was the old "Bit of Lace" from Airfix that had pride of place on the bedroom ceiling, being attacked by "Jerries " on one side and "Japs" on the other !

Cant see the present Mrs Jockney letting me repeat this however..... :chair:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sarge, all we need from you is to sign in to start one... When the Boeing gets going, you know you wanna finish it. Just think of all that OD surface you can paint (I prefer the earlier ones over the later NMF). V-P

But where would I put a half finished Flying-Fortress.....I'd be tripping over it in no time!  :unsure:

I like B-17s and thus (being me) have several (all the significant types) in my stash.....God knows what I'm going to do with them, because if I built one I'd have nowhere to put it.  :mental:

Why not build just half-a-Fortress? These new 72nd scale kits got pretty nice interiors oob. Decorate one fuselage half inside and out, add just one wing etc. On the other hand, just skip building most of the interior, button up the fuselage and concentrate on the exterior. Most of the interior is invisible anyway. Of course they can be built with all bells and whistles, but do they have to?

Oh, and you can always make it hang from the ceiling :thumbsup: and then add little friends, and then Bf 109:s around it, and then... and then...

• Like 1

Not really my cup of tea.....Half a Fortress on the back of an M-26 Dragon Wagon or similar might hold some appeal, but I've seen it done in 1/32 quite recently so mine would feel distinctly inferior right from the start.  :confused:

However I'll sign up provisionally with Mary-Ann from the film Air Force.....Probably live to regret it, but there you go.  :mental: 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Please count me in. Several options in the stash, I'm currently kicking myself for missing out on the DK Decals RAF and RCAF B-17 sheet with markings for one of the RCAF's transatlantic mail plane Forts from 168 (Heavy Transport) Squadron. Shouldn't be a hard scheme to replicate from spares and generic sheets, though, and next year will just barely reach the 75th anniversary of the first RCAF Fortress mission, flown by 9204 on December 15, 1943...modelling that scheme carries the bonus of not having to replicate the mailbag mission tally symbols from scratch, although it would be a shame not to have them, but if I can't find a copy of the DK sheet it seems the best option.

Another possibility, from the Iliad Design "Stars in the Sky" sheet, is "Yankee Doodle" of the 384th BS, 5th BG in the Pacific, flown by 2Lt Gene Roddenberry.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am game add me to the list ,  35+ years since my last B-17 build,  the new Airfix B-17 is on the shelf winking at me ...  hopefully it will be the center attraction to my 1/72 US warbirds based in Essex themed builds.

I will also get a Revel B-17F so I can have an OD and NMF finished Fortress !! Both will be in markings of 381st  Triangle-L  , I will probably have to make my own decals - just to keep things interesting!!

Need to convince the boss 'mrs rj' that all those after market additions are really required :) 

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/03/2017 at 11:31 AM, Sobby_23 said:

I would be keen for this, the RAF Fortress is right up my street! 

Is that one of the very early ones with no rear turret, bright blue underneath?

On 16/03/2017 at 11:31 AM, Sobby_23 said:

I would be keen for this, the RAF Fortress is right up my street! 

Is that one of the very early ones with no rear turret, bright blue underneath?

• 2 months later...

I'd love to participate, got 4 or 5 in the stash. If I had to only make one type of aircraft for the rest of time, it would be B-17s 😀Think I would go with Academy b-17g as already built two from Revell and 1 Hasegawa.

• Like 1