Tamiya 1/32 - RF-51D Korean War

Wolwe82

Hi Wolwe. I was beginning to wonder where you were! Glad you are back and with absolutely phenomenal modelling on display!! As John and Jason said above - that is one of the most realist looking cockpits I have ever seen!!  :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Your skills are getting better and better.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Airscale make a range of etched cockpit accessories, but many years ago Reheat produced etched instrument bezels, radar surrounds and assorted switch panels ( which were too flat for 1/32 scale ) and I still have some left.

John

• Like 1

Cheers Stix, i m so sorry i dont have that much time as i used to have to check BM that often as i would like to :( I ll have to check your, Johns, Steves and others new builds to see what are you all working on :) Cant wait to see it! :) 

• Like 1

Oh wow! :wub: That has to be the most stunning scratchbuilding and paintwork I've seen in a long time. Amazing skills and a project that deserves all the care and attention you are lavishing upon it. Keep this level of work up and you'll produce an award-winning result.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2017 at 8:05 PM, Wolwe82 said:

Thanks a lot guys for your very kind words :) Well, you have always been very nice to me, overlooking the flaws and mistakes i m doing all the time :) your support means realy a lot to me, cheers guys :) 

Sure I can speak for all of us when I say we're glad we can be of help and encouragement sir. As for overlooking flaws and mistakes, well that's easy to do when we can't see any ;) 

• Like 3

Hi Wolwe, I saw your post on the Mustang STGB chat thread asking for info on Korean War Mustangs and thought I might be able to help.

In  the Squadron Signal " Walk Around " book on the Mustang there are some good photos of Korean War F 51s, including the engine compartment and gun bays. The engine compartments were often over painted with black but not in every case, there is a photo of a maintenance line up which shows them in both colours so the choice is yours. There is a good photo of the gun bay of an easily identifiable F 51 of the period and it is definitely the original colour, and also the wing root  and fillet show signs of the zinc chromate yellow where the silver paint has been worn away.

I cannot really help with the undercarriage bay colour as in most photos it is in shadow but the inside of the inner doors are all NM or silver lacquer, there are some good close-ups of the main gear wells and they are in zinc chromate or interior green but the captions do not say in which era they were taken. I have an Osprey book based specifically on Korean War F 51s but I am unable to find it and I cannot post photos at the moment due to an ongoing problem with my computer and Photobucket.

Hope this helps

John

• Like 1

Me again, just been re-reading some of the text in the Mustang walk around and found a caption which states that after the war ( WW II ) many of the chromate yellow parts in the engine compartment were repainted zinc chromate green. I wonder if this also applied to the undercarriage bays and gun bays, in the close-ups of the gear wells there are a couple which could be chromate yellow thinly over painted with chromate green, and one of the hinged gun bay panels ( the one with the loading instructions ) looks more green than yellow. Confusing isn't it?

Still looking for the other book.

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

John thanks a lot for amazing info. I wont be able to continue on the mustang for a month or so (have to build Dr.I triplane as a gift, i have half year for it, but knowing myself, i ll focus on it now and finish it well ahead rather :) ), so i ll have time to try to find some more info :) 

But your info helps me a lot, the worn areas all down to the zinc chromate on wing roots looks interestng to me too, as i want to paint the airframe overal with aluminium laquer (as i did read the F-51s were overpainted with it before Korean war and also on many photos you can see the surface is pretty dark and matt and on some areas scratched on bright metal), now with another colour tone in mind it could be interesting :) i ll want to get as many photos as possible, so far i have collected like 50-60 good photos of Korean mustangs, but more shots never hurts when you want to study the subject :) 

So any more info ll be more then welcome :) cheers John and others too :) 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi 11bravo, thanks for asking - sadly, there is no update on this build at all so far  :( My time for modelling was reduced to the very ground as we had a baby comming, so i had to work on preparing the house for him :) Now he is 13months old and i m trying to spend as much time with him and help my wife as much as i can, so still not much time for modelling.. :( But hopefuly this changes soon :D