Typhoon footage youtube - IA's of 56 sq, D-Day, 174 Sq

Troy Smith

the wacky world of youtube,  the still that linked to  to this is a  Tempest, the famous one with uneven sized C1 upperwing roundels, 56 inch and  36 inch on either wing...

what caught my eye was the Mk IA 56 Squadron footage in particular, I have seen the stills of US-A before,

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234966380-hawker-typhoon-ia-56-squadron/

but not of US-D at 0:58- 1:02 mixed in with IIRC the Thorney Island wing with full AEAF stripes, plus 174 Sq (XP) at 1:17, sky band but black (?) spinners and rockets, (date?)  and the misplaced Tempest shot, along with some rocket loading.

I assume assembled by someone who  has very little  idea what  they are looking at,  so hopefully of more interest for those who do know.

I'll stick the link to the Ducimus Typhoon and Tempest Camo and  markings guide up for those puzzled at the scheme changes,as it's still an excellent primer

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/04-Hawker-Tornado-Typhoon

wonder when a  12 gun conversion will come out for the 1/24th Tiffie car door kit ?   Or Airfix  doing the right thing and  scaling the big kit down to 1/48th ;)

hope of interest

T

• Like 1

Hi

I always liked the paint colours on XP-M, presumably it had a replacement engine panel with a different batch of paint, as it almost looks three colur camo :) 

cheers

jerry

• Like 1

Lovely footage, the aircraft with the early roundels is taking off from RAF Westhampnett with the racecourse of Goodwood on the hill behind. This recently came up on the RAF Westhampnett FB page and Typhoon RB396 restoration.

Arent all production Typhoons MkIb's whether car door or bubble top?

31 minutes ago, 85sqn said:

Lovely footage, the aircraft with the early roundels is taking off from RAF Westhampnett with the racecourse of Goodwood on the hill behind. This recently came up on the RAF Westhampnett FB page and Typhoon RB396 restoration.

Arent all production Typhoons MkIb's whether car door or bubble top?

16 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

The IA was the 12 gun model, which can be seen in the video.

bob

as bob points out, 12 gun wing.

The fifth production Typhoon Mark IA, R7580, parked at Duxford, Cambridgeshire, while being tested by the Air Fighting Development Unit. The following month it joined No. 56 Squadron RAF, the first operational unit to be equipped with the type.

large.jpg?action=d&cat=photographs

note the 6 ejector slots underwing

from the link I posted above

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234966380-hawker-typhoon-ia-56-squadron/

which has a couple of stills of US-A

• Like 1

An interesting vid. I was quite taken by the amount of gull wing the Typhoon had which shows up better from some angles than others & was quite evident in some of the shots in the vid, something that doesn't show to the same extent on ground shots such as the Ia photo in Troy's last post, to my eye anyway.

Steve.