what is best way to clean tamiya acrylics from airbrush ?

Merlin

H & S Evolution and trying tamiya acrylics through it.

Found there was a blob of paint very visible on the needle part way through spraying, 2 parts paint 1 part X20 thinners 20 psi.

finished the session, though my old trick of placing a blob of thinners in the cap area to keep needle from dryingn out doesnt work as this cap has holes round it !

now to clean it, first used water for blow though then X20, and when put x20 in had bubbles lots, bubbling back into cup and spewing out the x20.

disassemble cap etc, place into jar of x20, remove and still paint all over it, now I hate to think whats inside the inner nozzle, scrubbing away with cotton bud to try and remove paint, trying to get into corners of front of cap,

even the paint reservoir and a cotton bud took some effort, doesnt look like it did when it was brand new just prior to this test.

and whats the cause of that paint blob on the needle, this was simple medium size spray pattern, just laying colour down.

Merlin

Buy a couple of litre bottles of Asda or Tesco "All Purpose Cleaner". Costs about 25p per litre.

Put some in a container (old margarine tub / yoghurt tub etc). Dump the business end of the airbrush in the cleaner and leave it for about 30 minutes. Scrub the bits with a stiff paint brush. Strip the working parts and leave them in some fresh cleaner for a while longer if needs be... Or just to be sure.  That will sort it.

These cheap cleaners remove dry, caked on Tamiya Acrylics with ease and my Evolution AB spends a fair amount of time in cleaner cos I forget to clean it after use.

Give it a soak in IPA or metho, or Windex (the clear blue liquid with ammonia in it). If you use Windex, make sure that you wash it out thoroughly, as the ammonia can damage the chrome in the a/b.

Be careful what you stick where, you don't want to damage things.

An even better way is to use an ultrasonic cleaner with Windex. Magic.

Personally, I've pretty well stopped using Tamiya acrylics except for what's in the paint stash. When it needs replacing, I use Gunze Sangyo. I seem to get on a lot better with it.

I always keep a cotton bud dipped in X-20a handy when spraying Tamiyas and use it to remove the paint build up at the nozzle.

I don't recommend flushing Tamiyas through with water.....I use Revell Aqua Cleaner or IPA to flush through until all paint is removed.  I then flush through with water to finish off.

FWIW

Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner works very well with the acrylic Vallejo Game Color which are a pain to airbrush. Should work with Tamiya as well. Alcohol is also a very good cleaner for all things acrylic. I do not recommend using cotton buds with airbrushes, though it seems to be common practice. I highly recommend using old brushes instead.

Paint building up is common with acrylics. Again a brush and some Alcohol or Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner work very well.

Water won't help much with cleaning acrylics and thinners can gum them up and make things worse.

On 09/11/2016 at 0:38 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I always keep a cotton bud dipped in X-20a handy when spraying Tamiyas and use it to remove the paint build up at the nozzle.

I don't recommend flushing Tamiyas through with water.....I use Revell Aqua Cleaner or IPA to flush through until all paint is removed.  I then flush through with water to finish off.

FWIW

I agree - water and Tamiya Acrylics in my experience don't mix. I haven't had much luck with Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner either. I also keep a cotton bud soaked in x-20a to dab on the needle and flush through with either Badger or Creative Model Airbrush Cleaner, these unclog. 

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen

1 hour ago, DaveCromie said:

Just as a wee sideline to this I have started using Interdental Brushes from my pharmacy to deep clean my airbrush. Various sub-milimetre sizes and only £3 or so for 8 brushes!

DC

Yep, great things for cleaning an Airbrush!

• Like 2

Morning Chaps :bye:

I have always used the Tamiya Airbrush cleaner from basically when I started using my paint thrower, and also had the issues mentioned above.

After a friend gave me some advice, I've now started using Acetone for both Acrylics and Enamels and it works hundreds...

I found that Tamiya Airbrush cleaner is good, but it still tended to leave traces of paint in the sleeve, but the Acetone cleans it up shiny shiny.

Best thing is Acetone from the Pharmacy is way way more cheaper than Airbrush Cleaner :D

:ninja:Mad Steve:ninja:

I have had no problem whatsoever using Tamiya acrylics through my H & B Evolution. I use both Tamiya and Xtracrylic thinners all the time - mostly Xtracrylic thinner - and that works well for me in making the Tamiya flow well through the brush.

For cleaning out the brush, after every session, I use Spraycraft or Liquid Reamer cleaner from an aerosol can. I think they are essentially the same product and are quite strong. As a final part of the process, I then spray some tap water through the brush to clear out any remaining cleaner.

Finally, before I start spraying a new colour, I always remove the needle to check if there is any dried residue on the needle. If there is, a swipe with a couple of passes of wet and dry paper which removes any grungy bits and restores the needle to a nice smooth finish.

Even though the above process sounds a bit long winded, it actually only takes a couple of minutes each time and becomes sop much part of the proceedings, that you hardly notice it.

Now and then, depending on how much painting I am doing, I will remove the spray head and clean it out using an airbrush cleaning small wire brush. It's over a month since I last had to do this but it does need to be done every so often.

In Summary then:-

Murdo method...

Buy a couple of litre bottles of Asda or Tesco "All Purpose Cleaner". Costs about 25p per litre.

Put some in a container (old margarine tub / yoghurt tub etc). Dump the business end of the airbrush in the cleaner and leave it for about 30 minutes. Scrub the bits with a stiff paint brush. Strip the working parts and leave them in some fresh cleaner for a while longer if needs be... Or just to be sure.  That will sort it.

Rob G

Give it a soak in IPA or metho, or Windex (the clear blue liquid with ammonia in it). If you use Windex, make sure that you wash it out thoroughly, as the ammonia can damage the chrome in the a/b.

An even better way is to use an ultrasonic cleaner with Windex. Magic.

Sgt Squarehead...

I use Revell Aqua Cleaner or IPA to flush through until all paint is removed.  I then flush through with water to finish off.

Schwarz-Brot...

a brush and some Alcohol or Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner work very well.

Victory is in the kitchen...

either Badger or Creative Model Airbrush Cleaner, these unclog.

Mad Steve...

Acetone for both Acrylics and Enamels and it works hundreds... the Acetone cleans it up shiny shiny.

Best thing is Acetone from the Pharmacy is way way more cheaper than Airbrush Cleaner

Eric Mc...

For cleaning out the brush. I use Spraycraft or Liquid Reamer cleaner from an aerosol can. I then spray some tap water through the brush to clear out any remaining cleaner.

Quite a range there.... I was also told to use Nail paint remover, so another vote for Acetone. Acetone seems a good start point, "shiny shiny" suits me....Also told to use car windscreen cleaner.

Just dont soak the Evolution head gubbins in Alclad Airbrush cleaner, unlike the Iwata it will bugger up the black seal.

Merlin.

• Like 1