Singaporean Hawker Hunter

kpc7676

Hi all,

I am all but committed to doing the Revell 1/32 Hawker Hunter as a Singaporean Air Force example, however, need some help.

My Revell stencils are screwed (I think) so I was wondering if anyone can confirm if the Singaporean aircraft in fact carried the same stencils, or if they were devoid of them.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 1

In an article written for APMA by a Dave Muir and featured in an old edition of IPMS UK it states that Singapore's Hunters followed RAF practice so they would have had stencils at some point, it also mentions the change over to NATO style rescue arrows at some point too.  If was to hedge my bets I'd assume that they had stencils but it may depend upon the timeline.

Try finding as many photos of Singaporean Hunters from the time period you're modelling.

Having researched this exact issue a few months back (as I want to build several Singaporean subjects), I came to the conclusion, looking at pics of in-service Hunters as well as ex-RSAF warbirds still wearing the RSAF-spec paint job, that they wore standard RAF stencils - as Wez says they had rescue arrows as well but as far as I can see these were always RAF style. (Here's some info RSAF Hunters @ RAAF Williamtown 1983 by the way.) I haven't identified any significant changes in the stencils at all in fact (analogous with stencils on RSAF Skyhawks) - in any case, I'm fairly sure they were never devoid of stencils. HTH.

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat

Looking at the photos I have the early delivery scheme was a very standard looking RAF scheme,with the full set of Hunter stencil's, later repaints appear to have lost some of the stencil details but kept the main more "important" markings such as ejector seat and rescue markings. 

John

• 6 months later...

Hello guys, I'm researching to build a RSAF FG74S. Can anyone confirm the colors? So far I'm thinking H116 dark green, H117 light green, H119 light earth and H130 satin white. Also are there any after market AIM-9 inboard pylons or do we just have to scratch build them?

1 hour ago, Sprtt said:

Hello guys, I'm researching to build a RSAF FG74S. Can anyone confirm the colors? So far I'm thinking H116 dark green, H117 light green, H119 light earth and H130 satin white. Also are there any after market AIM-9 inboard pylons or do we just have to scratch build them?

Regards the AIM-9 pylons - I found the 1/48 Eduard Su-25 resin pylon set for the Frogfoots far outboard air to air missiles to be a half decent start after a rummage in the spares box. I couldnt find any options available for the real deal when I looked around for such things.

I can chuck up some photos if youre interested in that as an option?

Thanks guys. I figured I'd hava to take some spares and carve for the pylons. Thanks for the photos. It looks quite similar to the TAC SEA colors so I guess those could work.

On 07/06/2017 at 8:32 AM, Sprtt said:

I'm researching to build a RSAF FG74S. Can anyone confirm the colors?

Hi Sprtt Not sure if these will be of any help ? Stencils are in English

IMG_9370_zps4d530179.jpg

Hunter_zpstajqeiid.jpg

• Like 2