Heritage Aviation 1/48 Wessex HC2

noeyedears

We share your frustration over the seats. What a pain. Are the undercarriage legs strong enough to support the weight? I find that when faced with resin like this it's better to use them as templates for brass. It would be a real shame for it to sag after all the excellent work you've put in. 

Colin w

almost there? I WISH! :blink:

Many poeple like a bit of scratch building. When you have a nice model you are enjoying building its fun to add little bits to make it your own. When you have to re make half the thing because it sucks its not so much fun. This falls into the second category. 
At least the nitesun frame looks like it will fit OK. small mercies.:rolleyes:
31991848195_0fe75cc65a_o.jpg

The sensor mount now positioned in the correct place. Its deliberatly not plumb straight as in the 4+ drawings, as the photos show it to be ever so slightly skew-whiff. looks like it needs a bit of a reshape though.
31991848015_512cfdfb61_o.jpg
31954722446_acc7fbc363_o.jpg

the replacement seats, still not quite finished, they need a hoop and some belts making yet. They fill the space much better. the original really does seem to be only 1/72 scale. Knobs.
31843685802_453b74d2aa_o.jpg

31991848115_64372ff2b3_o.jpg

• Like 4

That looks better

That photo of XR525 shows the intake width discrepancy I mentioned very clearly, although it is a quite awkward dimension to visualise without a drawing and photo to compare against

I really like those seats, next on my agenda so I can close my fuselage completely

Edited by perdu

yup, the kit doesnt look much like the real thing, does it. hoping once the grill is on it will not matter too much. i really cant be bothered to rebuild the whole front end. i am losing the will to finish this as it is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, MickE said:

Your seats look way better than the kit ones.

Quoted for truth. :) so much for the sales blurb, eh? :shrug:

Stick with it, and you'll be rewarded by our admiration, and you'll have a Wessex for your cabinet, with some horror stories to tell to scare the kids at Halloween :pumpkin:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Havent been able to do anything for a while due to various things so this is not going to make the time limit. consequently I am losing patience so its just getting done. Its a horrible kit, dont buy one, no matter how cheap you see it for on fleabay.

cockpit is as good as i care to make it. its not worth the trouble to completely remake it or splice in one from another kit. But its quite passable.
32335809846_1c7b329bb1_o.jpg
32224769532_d9a7c6cefd_o.jpg

this was a bit of a fight.
32224769482_41e9b7db16_o.jpg

God knows what it will look like with primer on, dont hold your breath, im not.
32224769442_ed49a6f4c0_o.jpg

The bane of resin kits DUUUUSSSTTTT!!!!!!!
32224769342_e7367e9c17_o.jpg

its finally up on makeshift legs, had most of the bits and bobs stuck on, and ready and for a blow over. the legs need detailing and will be added later.Same for the rotors.
32224769712_221960e7b9_o.jpg

• Like 6

I know how much you must be hating that kit, but considering the raw materials, I think you've done a fantastic job - seriously!  the cockpit is looking great, and you've done a great job with capturing some of the other detail. Have a virtual pat on the back

• Like 1

And of course... I agree with them

It may well be a horrid kit but you are making it into a great model

Bashing it into submission, I am truly impressed with the fixes you've made on the way

I hope you do finish it

• 2 weeks later...

todays end of play, a base coat at last, done freehand as I couldnt see the point in masking it. And thats it. Sorry I didnt finish but cest la vie.
31802526263_f0abb6a628_o.jpg
32461247852_1703ef139a_o.jpg

Due to various things modeling came to a full stop. Being so far behind any chance of finishing went out the window. 
What happens now? can a Mod move this to a normal thread so i can carry on?

• Like 5

You still have a week... Almost. Well - I am not so much further I am affraid but of course the Italeri kit is a shake n bake compared to your resin monster. Anyway - good to hear you want to finish this :-)

Great job so far - would be a pity not to finish it after all the efforts.

René

I have less chance of meeting the deadline than you

This is looking great and really isn't so far off finished now and it's a credit to your skills

We ain't done til we're done, next Saturday night

go on, you can do it

Yes too much work done to bin it. 

Carry on and keep as a reminder for next time you are tempted to try and make a silk purse from the proverbial sows ear.  

Colin w

DO IT! Don't give up on it now, she is looking a whole lot better with a bit of colour in her cheeks, one last push and hopefully you'll have it sorted, if not this week then I think youll be able to move it to the WIP section. I am hoping to do that with my 48th version and hoping not with my other two! Like has been said previously you are too far gone and made too good a job of it to bin it now.

Bob

• Like 1

i know the Gb is finished but..
the decals are on (apart from the one around the exhaust which is a sore point at the moment)

it had a gloss coat and a grime wash to pick out some details which seems to have worked out ok. it actually looks something like a wessex now.

still a pile 'o work to do but its passed the " i cant be bothered to finish it" point.
31897975323_2fc1a3c46b_o.jpg
31897975203_fffb84528e_o.jpg

• Like 5

Looks nice

You do know the Group Build doesn't end until tomorrow night do you?

You still have time to out do my failure and finish this, I'd love you to finish it within the time limit

I like H, when I made my HC2 I made XR525 G which resides in the RAF Museum at Cosford

I really like the two green scheme

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

and now the body is finished, minus aerials a couple of handles etc, had a semi flat coat and a bit of a panel line wash. Glad to see the tape didnt pull off the alclad gloss coat i dipped the canopy in. the nitesun needs a lens in it too. the example build in the instructions show a nice red decal around the exhausts with the correct text on them. the ones supplied in the kit had no text and were so small they actually sat inside the exhaust mount!!!! another example of a seemingly 1/72 scale part!! rubbish doesnt cover it. i had to spray the red on and dirty it up so it didnt stick out like a sore thumb
ill get around to the rotors very soo. nearly there thank God.
32132789773_e2850ef09f_o.jpg
32823172291_f3a47a6d7e_o.jpg

32823172461_3de9a3985e_o.jpg

• Like 7