Heritage Aviation 1/48 Wessex HC2

noeyedears

I do like that overhead console, ive opted for etch which, although colourful, is a bit too flat. The rotor brake and cabling look very nice are they kit or scratch built? Will make polishing that canopy well worth it!

Bob

Edit: Just read your previous post properly:banghead:! nice scratch building! Love the exhausts as well, I was thinking of just going down the blanking route :D

Edited by moaning dolphin
RTFOPP!

thanks Bob, it was a lot of work for very little return but was fun anyway. there are a lot of things that you can do to a plastic model that just wouldnt work on this heavy cast resin lump, so the little things matter more. I have doubts as to if ill finish in time if i keep wasting time doing these little bits, but i would rather miss the deadline than rush it, as it will probably be the only wessex i build.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, noeyedears said:

and a rotor brake that the kit neglects to include.

What !     ..."the most accurate Wessex HC2 kit ever released" (or so the official blurb was back in the day)

Considering what you started with here, I for one think you have done a fabulous job of knocking it into shape.  Okay, it may not be the best Wessex kit, but I think you'll have something to be proud of at the end of the day.

P.S.  You forgot to wire lock the bolts on the access panel inside the exhaust !

8 hours ago, hendie said:

P.S.  You forgot to wire lock the bolts on the access panel inside the exhaust !

i actually considered cutting some bolts off 0.5 mm hex rod and connecting the pairs with 0.1mm wire. then i realised they would still be too big, punched myself in the face a few times and moved on. :lol:

• Like 3

cheers Conehead, if you was a REAL masterclass see this:

Decided it was time to bite the bullet and try to get this together. Problem is the fit of the front isnt the best.
31011394473_e3ec426e0f_o.jpg
31821036855_25785e9a38_o.jpg

quite a bit of boiling water sanding and praying go this far... not too bad!
31011394353_ebd0d7e494_o.jpg

...if it wasnt for this. the only thing going to fix this is lots of glue. this almost made me bin the model i was so angry.
31821036775_8e14dda37e_o.jpg

its (mostly) together. yay. You can see where the broken front has been attached, the join is perfect, the "gaps" are actually clear superclue. if you look above the rear window you will see what appears to be an extended panel line. its not. its another fixed crack. more skillz with the boiling and bending required!
31011394233_03bd9ddaba_o.jpg

considering the fuselage is made fron seven pieces, six of them mating up in the nose end alone, it actually looks quite like a wessex. it took a lot of luck though. all "gaps" in joins are , again, clear glue, not holes. undoubtedly it will need more sanding etc once it gets a proper primer coat, but im glad i didnt bin it (just).
31821036705_cf88c7a61a_o.jpg

seats are in held only with gator grip glue and prayers, a few more cables will be added and the throttle and fuel knobs replaced, then its on with the lid (and guess how well THAT fits)
31821036975_f7abdf4db1_o.jpg

• Like 4

It's quite interesting to see the different assembly sequence of this compared to the Italeri version. Fixing the overhead console to the rear bulkhead and being able to see into the top of the cabin would be easier than the Italeri route but let's wait and see how the gearbox fits before deciding which is best. 

Colin 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colin W said:

before deciding which is best. 

Based on the wibbly-wobbly resin, missing important bits & the rest of it, I wouldn't hesitate to go down the Italeri route.  In fact, I think I have... I just can't remember where it is right now :hmmm:

Keep up the good work John.  Don't let the beep-beep grind you down ;)  We're rooting for you! :yahoo:

• Like 1

top needed a .010" shim all around but no major probs which was a nice surprise. 
Stacked against the 4+ drawing its not too bad, maybe 1mm (2" on the real thing) here or there depending on what you line up to. Good enough for me anyway. only real problem is in the nose (no surprise there then) the vents and intake underneath seem to point uphill instead of being level, or even slightly pointing downhill, like on the drawing. not pretty but again no massive disaster, depending on how accurate is good enough for you obviously. id never buy one again though.
Note: the model has been positioned inside the lines on purpose so you can see them, its not undersize all over!
now its a matter of sticking mr surfacer on the seams to see how its going.
31477259840_97090e3b2d_o.jpg
31733553311_609c315670_o.jpg
31702864932_3603e59dd8_o.jpg

• Like 4

Woops - that is a serious faux pas with the nose isn't it.  It doesn't look like there is anything you could have done with the kit to rectify that problem.

Like you say, once it's on it's legs, it won't be noticeable.

Keep going and just keep repeating the mantra....

It looks like the kit nose started the round up underneath far too near the front

After saying which it isn't unfixable is it?

After saying which NO I WOULDN'T either

On the whole I think it is a kit I might have been tempted with if I was into huge scale

;)

You are about to turn out one of those models that make 'the passer-by' stop and say WOW

its not really curable unless you are willing to flatten the whole bottom off and rebuild it yourself...i was not even tempted as i dont have the skill or the will.

Thanks for the encouragement to keep going. if i had been doing this outside a GB ,without the geeing-up, i reckon I wouldnt have carried on when it started breaking on me.

• Like 1

Ever seen a Wessex with dodgy knees and ankles? Voila! 🤣
31135441663_3800f3403e_o.jpg

After a little bit of physio...
31135441303_110e5f2dd1_o.jpg
31135441063_6313c89ddd_o.jpg

whoopsy... this is what a fat backside can do. 😖
31797062762_6fddd3ede8_o.jpg

plasticard to the rescue.
31135440843_93bbe33fe6_o.jpg

question... a pic of the model and of the 4+ drawing. Only one can be right unless there are two versions of a HC2. I assume I am going to have to file this off and put it right? I've just about had enough of this trash. 😤
31135440783_5bc1c20391_o.jpg[/url
31135441883_9fbc9a097c_o.jpg

• Like 1

I would counsel you to ignore it, this time, however most kits of whoever's persuasion get that portion wrong to my eyes

We discussed this in one of the other builds, if the 4+ drawings are right, which I am inclined to believe, most kits go far too wiiiide here

8 hours ago, perdu said:

I would counsel you to ignore it, this time, however most kits of whoever's persuasion get that portion wrong to my eyes

We discussed this in one of the other builds, if the 4+ drawings are right, which I am inclined to believe, most kits go far too wiiiide here

it isnt so much the width of it , its the fact that it is positioned the wrong side of the centre line, confirmed by looking at any old HC2. another tick for the best wessex ever.

Oh, and this is the position they would have you mount the woefully undersize seats....hahahaahahahahahahahahah  FML.
31157627543_d9e5797e3b_o.jpg
 i am knocking up some sort of replacements now. they wont be brilliant but i cant use the, apparently, 1/72 sized travesties supplied.

• Like 3

Good progress. And thanks for making me feel good to have passed this kit. One time I felt I missed a good oportunity when this kit was sold at 50% discount. Happy not to have bought it now. I was probably the best Wessex in this scale before the Italeri kit, but seems to be not anymore.