Heritage Aviation 1/48 Wessex HC2

noeyedears

Came across this GB by accident, which is fortunate as I had this earmarked for a non-plastic GB that didnt seem to materialize.
This is now, AFAIK, a discontinued model, so lets hope I dont mess anything up as getting spares is probably off the menu.
Forgive me for not taking every little thing out the bags, but it will all get seen eventually. Kit consists of mainly resin, plus some white metal and a small amount of PE.

30742338292_f4a72bf12b_o.jpg
30223179453_5aa8158a1b_o.jpg
30858725555_336cfdf0a6_o.jpg
30865565605_521795cb56_o.jpg

the resin is quite nicely cast with a reasonable amount of detail, and very very few air bubbles or molding marks. A nice change after doing a couple of Accurate Armours kits. The last picture shows a bit of a textured surface, but the sharpening has made it look 10 times what it looks like to the eye.
The instructions dont amount to much in the way of printed material, but there is a cd containing a picture build and some reference photos.
theres going to be a couple of days removing all the pour plugs, so Ill see you then.😘

• Like 2

A very nice choice, I've heard of this kit but never seen one built up. Looking forward to seeing this go together. Might be worth having a search for Hendies Mk2 epic build in the aircraft WIP section. That may give you a load of information on the build even though it is based on the Italeri build. Best of luck!

Bob

ill be checking some builds for sure, Mr Dolphin.

the white metal. For the most part its OK, but in the blue ring are what they say are the cyclic controls...REALLY?!!? .....sheesh! i think ill be remaking theses unless i can find someone with spare ones (unlikely)
30848888256_14d8893389_o.jpg

50 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Ouch, those WM parts look grim...

Colin

yup, nasty.

ive just tried to dry fit the main body parts together. I say "try" for a reason. this is not going to be a walk in the park.

Never have liked white metal parts, but I suppose sometimes they are a necessary evil, I don't envy you at all looking at those but It will make the thread a whole lot more interesting:analintruder:

Bob

My answer, having see what you have inthe box is repack it keep it as a curiosity and buy an Italeri kit. Yes the latter has problems but not as many as the Heritage kit. Sorry.

Colin

I was so going to buy one of these but the launch kept getting delayed and I think the Italeri kit came out first (could be wrong though).  I think I only ever saw one built and it looked to me like the back end was all warped so glad I didn't spend the cash.

I'd agree that the WM parts don't look too inviting - I think I scratched most of those parts in my build.  This should be an interesting project.

now I must get to read all the other Wessi posts (but due to extenuating circumstances, probably won't get to them until the weekend)

i am thinking this kit may be beyond redemption but ill probably chuck it together and see what comes out of it. it will give people something to laugh at at least.

For experienced modellers...

It looks like an experience!

Could you not use it as a source of resin detail parts for an Italeri kit? Kit bash the 2 together?

id be better off using the italeri kit to detail this, or just build to italeri kit full stop. but i am committed now soo.....
first major join, 3 parts: base, tail and mid section. it took a shed load of ca and filler but its ok. Took AGES though.
30673083340_05d14f8845_o.jpg

with a bit of undercoat and a rescribe.
22796014348_812caeca3d_o.jpg

still needs rescribing , i dont have a panel line drawing of this side, can anyone help (ita a HC2)
22796013768_c16f3e8004_o.jpg

this god-awful piece of resin, along with the other clear parts, took all day you polish up. well worth it otherwise they would all have bee totally unusable.
30673083440_a5c4b03579_o.jpg

• Like 3

Its good to see you are having a right good go at this, a nice start so far, that cockpit glazing has scrubbed up real nice! I will have a look at that SAMI as I am sure there is a side view of the Mk2 but am not sure how exhaustive the drawing will be in regards to panel lines, the Mk3 drawing doesn't even show the external piping! But I'll dig it out after work tonight and see if I can post a picture of it.

Cheers now

Bob

Edit. Just noticed there is the port side in the reference thread of the comparison I did, I shall have a look to see if they did a starboard side as well

Edited by moaning dolphin
Update
  • Like 1

Yes the canopy has come up great. I built their Bulldog when it first came out. It was a lovely kit until I got to the canopy which wasnt even symetrical about the center line. Not much to do short of making a master and moulding a new one. Shame as it was otherwise a great little kit. 

Colin W

The canopy is nice and shiney, but it is still like looking through  the bottom of a glass.  Could someone also please have a look at their 4+ wessex book to see if they have a left side view if a hc2...pretty plz🤗 

I am looking with envy at some of the other builds in this GB and will be looking for some good tips! 

I'd say you are off to a good start with the 3 parts so far.     I have to add that the more I see here, the more relieved I am that I never gave in to the urge to purchase one of these.

You did a great job polishing the canopy but you are right about the beer glass effect.  Is it an option to use it for crash molding ?

never tried it, and id be a bit worried about damaging this one, theres no hope of getting a replacement. i am more worried about the general fit, ive been trying to figure out the best sequence of making it but its just so badly fitting. ive also noticed that parts like the tail rotor just seem to bear no real resemblance to the real thing, (remember the wonderful control sticks) ill be making lots of bits just to make it somewhere near worth doing. already regretting getting this kit. maybe ill just buy a plastic one.😡

10 hours ago, hampden80 said:

I remember buying this kit.I opened the box had a good look at the parts,closed the box and opened the Scotch.Not saying i won`t ever attempt it but it does look daunting.

John 

pass the scotch....

i think ill just sling it together and use it for target practice, if i spend any more time thinking about it, it will never get done and will end up on the shelf 'o doom (which is a tempting thought at the mo')

Step 1.

Start a WIP thread on this, take pictures of bits of the resin kit.

Step 2.

Build an Italeri HC.5 and take pictures of it when enough is assembled that you can pass it off as the Heritage kit.

Step. 3.

Bathe in the adulation from fellow modellers that you conquered it! 

:-)

• Like 3

I too was really tempted to buy this kit - when it was reduced to 1/2 price. Even last week I was thinking if I should have done so in favor for the Italeri kit. What actually kept me from buying were the poor pictures on Heritage webpage. I felt like buying the proverbal pig in a poke. Guess I am lucky I did not buy it - although the Italeri one is not brilliant either it should be a lot easier to build at least. That said - building a garage kit is more interesting and will further improve your skills IMHO. Will be watching with interest :popcorn:

Rene

I`ll be following this with interest as I have the kit in the stash too,......good luck. Have you decided upon a scheme yet?

Cheers

Tony

At Sea -  thats a naughty suggestion! :D but its tempting 😇

Rene and Tony - I am wishing I had bought the much cheaper italeri kit but I sort of enjoy trying to sort out pig-of-a-kit models  😏"sort of"😱

as for the scheme: Northern Ireland deployment two tone green camo. google XR525 for an example. or perhaps the one on the front of the box (see first post) Im not sure which one is correct for Northern Ireland...anyone know?

well, got around to gluing another part on (whoppee-do!). The fit along the bottom was fine, but the join to the rear needed quite a bit of filler work :(.
30978741252_5201365c2a_o.jpg

The top looks like it wil need even more work...nice bit o' ventilation there.:blink:
30300954674_e4f3a8dcf6_o.jpg

the inside will need a lot of work, this is all you get. The seat backs dont look quite right, a bit of hot water work may make them look a bit more life like.The white metal legs are a bit "industrial", i Might replace them with brass rod, or i may just shut the door and be done with it instead. The top of the ribs needed to be removed as they foul the top part.
31121799315_4f6dfc6d4e_o.jpg

The gearbox area, hmm, not a lot will be seen through the grills but it looked very sparse, im not going mad (like someone I could name) but a few struts and actuation rams and the non rotating collar, maybe the scissor link wont go amiss.
31085446506_5651917428_o.jpg

• Like 4