1/72nd Revell/MPM- Boston Mk.III, 18 Sqn, RAF, Italy 1944-45- FINISHED, TOO LATE!!

Thanks everybody,.......a quick update,.......the paintwork is almost finished now with the addition of the black sides and undersides;

DSCF9603_zpsjlptawcr.jpg

DSCF9604_zpstqk83fio.jpg

With the masking tape removed the scheme just needs to be tidied up a bit, then gloss varnish added ready for the decals,.....which I still have to look for and assemble from the spares box yet!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 9

16 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks everybody,.......a quick update,.......the paintwork is almost finished now with the addition of the black sides and undersides;

DSCF9603_zpsjlptawcr.jpg

DSCF9604_zpstqk83fio.jpg

With the masking tape removed the scheme just needs to be tidied up a bit, then gloss varnish added ready for the decals,.....which I still have to look for and assemble from the spares box yet!

Cheers

Tony

My local has got this in now, which is a surprise as they are pretty naf at getting new stock in... They are more focused on these funny things on lines, trains I think they call them? Anyway it may get pick up by me if they catch me on the right day (and depending on how much Santa wants to spend on the kids)

shes ed's looking great Tony

Rob 

• Like 1

Cheers Rob & Simon,

Well I`ve got the decals on now,......I`ve still not worked out the nose art yet so I have added a decal from a presentation Spitfire for starters as the basis and will do a few alterations using a small brush later. Many of the RAF Medium Bomber units equipped with Boston`s and Baltimore`s switched over to night intruder operations in 1945 against nocturnal German supply convoys and also the heavily protected pontoon bridges crossing the river Po which would be moored alongside the river bank and heavily camouflaged during daylight hours then re positioned across the river at night. Many of these RAF/RAAF units appear to have experimented with night schemes and I know of at least one 55 Sqn Baltimore wearing an all black scheme as well as an all black Boston Mk.IV/V from 13 Sqn, but this Mk.III from 18 Sqn was new to me until recently and it differs in having retained the camouflaged upper surfaces. Speaking of upper surfaces, the standard upper wing roundel in use in Italy at this time was the C Type and I feel that these would have been retained rather than being replaced by B Type, due to the large number of USAAF aircraft opeating in the area as any change of markings might prove dangerous! Anyway,...here is how the model looks so far;

DSCF9621_zpsoy8lcx4y.jpg

DSCF9624_zpscw3hjkt8.jpg

For those who may not have seen it,.....here is the 13 Sqn all black Boston which I built a while back from the old Matchbox kit,.....and which one of the diecast companies have copied! It should really be more shiny,...but oh well!

DSCF9070_zps56epiz8b.jpgDSCF5272_zpsxm3blgn3.jpg

Hee is the all black Baltimore,......I have seen a poor photo of the aircraft wearing this scheme so it did exist and it was an option in the Classic Airframe`s 1/48th scale kit, minus the red and white flight marking on the rear fuselage;

Image result for martin baltimore black raf

I`ll be away for a few days while my son has his entrance interviews for studying Chemistry at Oxford University!

Cheers.

Tony    ,

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 12

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looking very good indeed Tony.

I like your earlier all black Boston, something a bit different again.

Good luck to your son on his interview.

Craig.

Cheers Craig,..... much appreciated on all counts,

Tony .

• Like 1

Yes lots of good luck to your son!

the aircraft looks great, much better than mine is shaping up! I need to see if I can sneak this one past the good lady... kids Christmas prezzies take precedence it would appear....

Rob

• Like 1

Cheers Fella`s,......yes we are very proud, we were over the moon when he passed his entrance exams and it seems quite surreal that we are dropping him off at Corpus Christi College for 3 days of interviews on Sunday! My missus and I are in a daze,......our lad is so laid back and calm about it all it is unreal! 

My long suffering back and legs are not looking forward to the long car journey,......but at least I`m not driving!

Are there any model shops in Oxford?

All the best

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Folks,

I was rushed into hospital earlier this week and after an MR Scan showed that yet another disc had become displaced and was pressing into my spinal cord I was tranx to the Acute Spinal Centre at Salford Royal. It has been a very painful time with some partial (hopefully temporary) paralysis below the waist and an operation at this stage is too dangerous, so I have had a small op to try and reduce the size of the disc and hopefully prevent a much larger and more dangerous procedure.

They have let me out for Christmas.and to attend my Mum`s funeral (she ded on 16th December) and I report back in January,......so it has been a bit of a shitty week or so and although I have a number of almost  finished models in this GB, I doubt that I`ll be finishing them in time!

Merry Christmas to you all and a happy 2017,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, tonyot said:

They have let me out for Christmas.and to attend my Mum`s funeral (she ded on 16th December) and I report back in January,......so it has been a bit of a shitty week or so and although I have a number of almost  finished models in this GB, I doubt that I`ll be finishing them in time!

Merry Christmas to you all and a happy 2017,

Cheers

Tony 

Hope you feel better soon Tony,

M

• Like 1

Hi Tony. I'm really sorry to hear the news about your mother and your health issues. My mum died on the 9th November so I know how you must be feeling at the moment - please accept my deepest condolences - but you have your health issues as well. I really hope 2017 is a much better year for you.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Sorry about your loss Tony, it's not easy at any time, but to then be hospitalised at Christmas on top is just not fair. 

Really hope you you have a better 2017 mate.

as for the GB your input has been invaluable and your output has been insane, thanks for that.

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

My deepest sympathies on the passing of your Mum.  As one who has lost both parents I can tell you - you never get over it but you do find a way to live with it.  My thoughts are with you.  

As for you back  - well I home they can start to make you feel more comfortable soon.  Once they can reduce the pain the recovery can start...  chin up Mate..

• Like 1