Mk.V colour recommendations

lesthegringo

Gents, knowing how much debate there is surrounding the paint equivalent charts, I ask this with some trepidation,  but I am sure that I will get helpful answers from you. I have bought the Meng Mk.V for my son and I to build.

Great model, by the look of it, but it comes with Valljo paint callouts. As you all know the subjects well, you probably don't even refer to charts as you know the right colours to use. Most I am able to work out for myself, but can you give me Mr Color, humbrol or Tamiya equivalents for

70.876 brown sand

71.012 dark green

71.015 olive brown

One last question  - the lower interior seems to be painted in what looks like red lead primer, and possibly  wood colour floorboards, from online pictures. Is this correct or is it due to restoration? 

Thanks

Les

Les

There's little or no conclusive info re the colour/shade of Mark IVs and Mark Vs in WW1. 

Having spent hours on sites on the net, via books, looking at  paintings from 14/18  and looking at the Mark V111 model in Bovington that David Fletcher believes is in its original paint from 1918 the  consensus seems to be that following the elaborate Solomon scheme applied to Mark !s,  by the end of 1916 tanks would have been painted overall in a brown shade, although the shade of brown is open to interpretation.

As regards the Mark IV and Mark V that I've completed in the last couple of years I've used as a base colour a 50:50 mix of Tamiya XF55 and XF52 followed by various washes to muddy things up.

You might find the build on PMMS a useful reference http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/meng/ts020.htm

Re the nterior the Mark V  Osprey cutaway doesn't show red primer but off white. Certainly the Bovington Mark Iv that I've been in is overall off white 

Post 1918 the colour changed to a green shade but I haven't researched that.

We got cracking on this on Saturday,  and got quite a few hours work in during the course of the weekend. I have to point out that as a dyed-in-the-wool aircraft modeller I was principally making this because my son wanted me to build something with him

But, I really get why people model AFV's now. I have no idea about other kits, but I am simply loving building this one. Maybe it is because it is boldly mechanical with lots of interesting looking bits all over it, or that you can have fun with weathering, or that you can happily build large assemblies and paint and detail after..... Whichever,  my son has opened my eyes to these models 

I suspect you'll be seeing more of me on these pages in the future! 

Now, where did I see that Takom King Tiger for sale......?

Les

• Like 1