Experiments in deck painting #2

SUB-SAM

Experimentation to achieve a realistic finish deck on a plastic kit.

Deck1.jpg

And work so far on the model next to a 1/144 206a submarine and 1/144 Bushnell's Turtle at a scale which shouldn't cause any despair when displayed together.

Deck2.jpg

1/150 scale Tartane c.1810, Heller 1/150 'Corsair' kit...well made simple sailing ship kit, I recommend it!

• Like 8

That looks good. There's certainly an art to creating a painted natural wood finish, with so many colours and shades possible, as a well a textures and minor random effects. I think yours is looking realistic as you've got these points off really quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. 

The technique I used was to apply strips of masking tape either side of every single plank (painstaking I know) then washing in with slightly different shade of  acrylic washes and varying the quantity to produce variability. 

The washes naturally flow towards the edges of the plank and creates the differential between planks.

If you apply wash to a deck as a whole you end up with 'tide marks' of wash across the piece and it looks quite frankly awful. 

I have started painting the hull of the ship. 

The hull is much less 'variegated' than the deck, which I think is effective. 

Now, I have painted the hull with a white colour anti fouling mix (which I will wash with a pale grey) I know earlier ships often had a light mix, I really did not care for the look of the dark anti fouling mix on this ship. 

Is this acceptable for the presentation of this ship? which is undated but the Tartane type was apparently used "for 300 years until the late 19th century" 

Hull.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I managed to get out in the shed for the first time in 2 months, so I have done a little bit more to the build. 

All of the deck and poop deck is now fixed down, poop deck/mizzenmast superstructure added and cannons added. 

The cannons are absolutely tiny, I guess the original ships of this size would only have had relatively light armament? nonetheless I managed to bore them out. 

Please excuse the 1/144 JGSDF making maneuvers in the background of the shot. 

Tartane.jpg

Several more fittings on the deck and i'll be ready to start adding to her vertically. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Managed to do a little bit more... 

Both masts and lateen rigs up, 

Test fitting the main vac moulded sail (to make sure when I rig it I won't have the shroud touching the sail) I know they are not everyone's cup of tea but with a bit of weathering I think they will do. 

Question is, what is the best way of attaching said piece of plastic? Previous experimentation with sewing a thread through close to the edge leads to the thread cutting through the thin sheet! 

Lateen.jpg

• Like 2