E3 Sentry Grounded Again

davepb

4 minutes ago, grahamwalker said:

what do you expect from secondhand American rubbish

Weirdly enough, none of the other operators have this problem with our secondhand garbage E-3s.

• Like 2

I think you're confusing the RAF's E-3 Sentries - which were brand new aircraft delivered off the production line back in 1990 - with the three secondhand RC-135s that it recently acquired. Making Procopius' point a very good one, and if you read the PPRuNe thread you'll see some discussion of why this might be so. You'ld need to read back through the "Air Cadets grounded" thread for the full picture but some knowledgeable people from the RAF community are suggesting that there's a systemic failure of the entire military airworthiness regime with its roots over 20 years ago.

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Weirdly enough, none of the other operators have this problem with our secondhand garbage E-3s.

1 hour ago, grahamwalker said:

As AWFK states above, you are both very much mistaken. The RAF Sentry fleet was brand new on delivery and were the last (brand new) 707 airframes off the Boeing production line.

• Like 1

It sounds horribly as though this may be due to our dearly beloved MoD deciding to go it alone and ignore the advice of the original manufacturer and the route taken by most other users. Rather than upgrade to avoid the wiring fire issue, their view was that the evidence suggested that any fires on RAF E3s were well within the capability of the crews to deal with on the spot and hence no significant safety issue, no need for upgrade.  Umm - not sure that argument would have got very far in my discipline and this grounding rather suggests the plan my have been 'over-optimistic'. (being generous)

What happened to the seventh E3D, does anyone know?

John B

• Like 1

ZH105 has become a Christmas tree for the remainder: images on t'interweb show it minus tail fin, tail planes, rotodome, engines, some flight deck windows, outer wing panels and various other bits.  It's flying days are definitely over.

I wonder if anyone at the Misery of Disarmament read the accident report on the SwissAir MD-11 accident; somehow I suspect not ("We don't have any of these do we?  No?  Doesn't apply to us then.  File 13 please, Nigel.  Now where are my lapsang  suchon  (sp) and dark chocolate Digetstives?")

Once upon a time it was tradition in the RAF that those who had worked on an aircraft could be taken on the air test afterwards, assuming that there was sufficient room for them.. Maybe now those who make the decisions about overhauls, upgrades and airworthiness should be encouraged to go flying in he products of their decisions.

• Like 2

Thanks Stever19. Was it condemned as a Christmas tree after any problems, or just that we did not have enough spares and had to sacrifice one aircraft?

I agree about learning from others - I don't think MoD do that. Not sure they learn from themselves!

John B

• Like 1

ZH105 can be seen parked at Waddington

from the A15 just South of Lincoln.

It has two other Sentry's for company.

If the problem is caused by Kapton wiring

it isn't news. We had problems with it on

relatively new Tucano's.

25 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

ZH105 can be seen parked at Waddington

from the A15 just South of Lincoln.

It has two other Sentry's for company.

If the problem is caused by Kapton wiring

it isn't news. We had problems with it on

relatively new Tucano's.

There was also a problem with this type of wiring on the brand new Harrier GR5/7s in the late 80s/early 90s.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps.

i suspect that '105 was withdrawn as a cost-saving (?!) measure rather than the  Misery of Disarmament having to pay for a @&%^*¥ expensive overhaul, as happened with a number of the VC-10 fleet later in their lives.  

I wasn't aware that '105 now has some company.  Does this mean that we're probably going to wind up buying the horrible Boeing Wedgetail after a multi-year capability gap as the E-3s are gradually converted into saucepans?

15 hours ago, stever219 said:

Thanks chaps.

i suspect that '105 was withdrawn as a cost-saving (?!) measure rather than the  Misery of Disarmament having to pay for a @&%^*¥ expensive overhaul, as happened with a number of the VC-10 fleet later in their lives.  

I wasn't aware that '105 now has some company.  Does this mean that we're probably going to wind up buying the horrible Boeing Wedgetail after a multi-year capability gap as the E-3s are gradually converted into saucepans?

My memory bank has a hazy recollection that a Sentry suffered some damage when a ground support vehicle drove into it some years ago. I'm wondering that was ZH105?

3 hours ago, Latinbear said:

My memory bank has a hazy recollection that a Sentry suffered some damage when a ground support vehicle drove into it some years ago. I'm wondering that was ZH105?

From memory it isn't, but I may be wrong. I think that one got repaired (t'interweb suggests that was '106 in Jan '07) about the same time '105 was withdrawn. 

Edited by Vickers McFunbus

10 hours ago, Latinbear said:

Not quite, it was actually a piece of "ground support equipment" which had been caught by the wind during a gale and struck ZH106 (perhaps appropriately named Grumpy) after bouncing off another aircraft.

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:42 PM, grahamwalker said:

What utter nonsense, they were procured new.

Got to say from my days popping up to wadders and doing the RAF thing of doing detachments from hotels....terible lol but the Sentry were new but that was early 90s so they are over 25 years old .....they require TLC . As for kapton wiring oòh that will be a big expensive long job to change.....nasty