Airfix P-47 Thunderbolt

AdrianMF

Very nice Adrian.

Your canopy painting work is very impressive, I was wondering how you had masked it so well, then read it was 'freehand tidied up with a cocktail stick' :o ! Now there's a man with a steady hand.

The Revell silver looks great.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

Hello,

Nice job indeed, I think just like you did Tony... Freehand, I stay in awe:o

I really enjoy oldies, this P-47 has been far more than upgraded..

Just remember the pilot and the seat in just one piece of blobish plastic and nothing else

The rivets are the proof that this kit is an oldie, beside it, nobody will believe it.

Congratulations.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

So I have decal touch ups, more work on the fuselage stars to conform to the turbocharger vents and another coat of Future to pull everything together. Then I need to make undercarriage, hanging things and little details, then weather and final varnish.

Wow...this has moved along pretty sharpish!

Looking forward to the home stretch.  Hoping to pick up some more great tips for my future builds.  Thanks for sharing.

Simon

• Like 1

Two decades have past so I can freely admit my crime.

I have stolen the very same kit from a model shop right near Rialto bridge in Venice when we were on a high school excursion.

I think that I still have the engine somewhere.

It's nice to see it again.

• Like 3

Thanks Chaps,

11 hours ago, stevej60 said:

kit's everyone else runs away from

I don't think it's a bad kit at all! The fuselage went together with no filler and the seams only needed a tiny scrape down. The fuselage to wing join was the only slightly(!) dodgy area.

The canopy actually has well-defined recessed frame lines, not too prominent, so it's really a question of letting them do the work when painting the frames. And I was pretty amazed this morning to find that the Academy fuselage insignia decals have bedded down quite nicely over the turbocharger vents. I was expecting to have to do some cutting and pasting to make them conform!

I'm planning to have this wrapped up by the end of the weekend.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6

Hello All,

I made it to SMW yesterday. Saw the new Airfix Phantom and lots of lovely models, chatted to a some fellow modellers and refreshed the modelling stocks!

And today I did everything I had planned to do (and some things Mrs F had planned for me to do!) but I'm still a session away from finishing. Anyway, got to here:

IMG_2547.jpg

I managed to touch up the "Sam" line of the decal where I lost the bottom bit whilst trimming. I will see if a bit of Future can make the film less visible:

IMG_2549.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
Resized the text. No idea how I managed to change text size on a tablet!
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's finished. I'm moderately happy with it overall, and this was my first attempt at weathering silver. I didn't try out different shades of silver for different panels, so there's something to do next time!

Airfix_P47_Finished_1.jpg

More images in RFI.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 7