Airfix P-47 Thunderbolt

AdrianMF

Hello All,

I got back from my trip on Friday with acute modelling withdrawal symptoms, and I wanted to do a quick build. So I chose this:

Airfix_Thunderbolt_1.jpg

From the wonderful Ace Hardware in Berkley. I bought it in their moving sale earlier this year, so I actually paid around two dollars for it.

The cockpit was a "seat on pegs" affair so I constructed a new one out of plastic card:

Airfix_Thunderbolt_2.jpg

The engine is a bit anaemic, so I added some valve gear to the ends of the cylinders that you can see. I cut away the moulded turbocharger intake scoop and made my own out of bent plastic card and some rod:

Airfix_Thunderbolt_3.jpg

Cockpit installed:

Airfix_Thunderbolt_4.jpg

And painted in bronze green, instruments simply scratched into the paint:

Airfix_Thunderbolt_5.jpg

Airfix_Thunderbolt_6.jpg

The instruments may look a bit crude in a close up, but they look fine seen through the canopy.

I have seen on other builds that there is a big gap between wings and fuselage. This is not a new feature:

Airfix_Thunderbolt_7.jpg

I cured it with a piece of sprue cut to length to push the fuselage sides out a bit:

Airfix_Thunderbolt_8.jpg

Airfix_Thunderbolt_9.jpg

I made some cheap and cheerful wheel wheel wells out of plastic card and strip. I'm also going to replace the undercarriage doors with something a little more refined:

Airfix_Thunderbolt_a.jpg

Airfix_Thunderbolt_b.jpg

Airfix_Thunderbolt_c.jpg

Airfix_Thunderbolt_d.jpg

And I've added some detail to the propeller:

Airfix_Thunderbolt_e.jpg

My symptoms have subsided!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 20

15 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

Looking good. I hope you complete it as "Penrod and Sam" - like I did back in 1969 :D

Yes Sir! I've been painting thin coats of yellow on the rudder all weekend, so it's too late to stop now. The decals will get a severe trimming to minimize the yellowed varnish, and I might try and get some alternative stars and bars if I have some in the stash.

• Like 2

Your builds make me wonder why I worry about anything related to any of my older kits at all :o !

I have recently pulled a Heller Hellcat out of the stash and found the fuselage is missing. I am sure you would take this in your stride and have one built out of plastic card, a few yoghurt pots and a pair of Val's old knickers (to loosely quote John Noakes), in an hour or two :D !

Always a pleasure to see you transform these lovely old kits. Great stuff :thumbsup2: .

TonyT

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One of those kits I'd like to have built but never did.  Your fixes are so simple I'm going to copy them for some of my projects.

You might be able to "de-yellow" your decals by putting them inside a clear plastic bag and taping it to the inside of a south-facing window for a few days (might need a bit longer at this time of year).  It worked for me on a set of 1970s vintage Bristol Bulldog decals and, apart from the bag, it's free and saves some eye-straining trimming.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, stever219 said:

One of those kits I'd like to have built but never did.  Your fixes are so simple I'm going to copy them for some of my projects.

You might be able to "de-yellow" your decals by putting them inside a clear plastic bag and taping it to the inside of a south-facing window for a few days (might need a bit longer at this time of year).  It worked for me on a set of 1970s vintage Bristol Bulldog decals and, apart from the bag, it's free and saves some eye-straining trimming.

Thanks Chaps. Glad to keep you entertained. I should mention that I also have an Academy Thunderbolt in the stash with lots of lovely detailing, but it just didn't appeal as much... 

Steve, I've never had too much luck with that, or I'm too impatient ;). The squadron code lettering is all straight lines anyway so trimming is less painful than it might be, and I would just cut down on the border of the smaller items, Given that it's now well into Autumn I doubt I'd have a quick enough result to keep me happy, so I will either trim them down possibly paint them on as a last resort (I've done that on a few builds now).

I did have a cunning plan of getting Mrs F a surprise free sunbed session, but I thought explaining how she got a white rectangle on her back might not be worth the bother...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

Thanks Adrian,

I must admit I've had variable degrees of success too.  Hasegawa decals seem to be particularly resistant to the treatment, but I suspect that their "whites" aren't very white in the first place.

I don't think that trying to explain white rectangles in an otherwise pristne patch of suntanned flesh is likely to be a forgiving pastime.   :wub:

• Like 1

Thanks All!  And James - the rivets are staying right where they are for this one.

I've got a first coat of silver on - no pictures, half-done silver is not for the squeamish - and it's shaping up nicely.  I may try some panel variation in the top coat just to see what happens.

Regards,

Adrian

So, it's like this.

I think the kit stars and bars from the kit are too light/yellow.

I pull out my Xtradecal stars and bars set to cut out two 40" and two 35" decals. The decals marked as 35" are the same size as the 40" ones. So I don't have any 35" ones.

No problem. I have a stash. Over 100 boxes later, I get to a 1970s Airfix Mustang that was started and never finished by my kids. With 35" stars, of an acceptable colour and whiteness. 

I am cooking. The beeper goes just as I find the decals. I finish cooking. We eat.

I load the dishwasher. I go back to the garage to pick up the decals. Can I find those decals? Nope. Just spent an hour searching the garage. No joy.

Ho hum.

Adrian

• Like 1

Hello All,

Thanks for all the comments.

On 09/11/2016 at 09:11, stevehnz said:

Have a look in the kitchen. :)

I did (thanks for the tip) but still no joy!

I got some paint on:

Airfix_Thunderbolt_f.jpg

Hand brushed Revell Acrylic Silver. Canopy frames are brushed freehand and tidied up with a cocktail stick.

I used the Xtradecals for the wing insignia and cannibalised my Academy P-47 decals for the fuselage (it has three 35" fuselage insignia, strangely) and ordered a sheet from Techmod (72410), which actually has 35" stars, unlike the Xtradecal set, where the 35" stars are actually the same size as the 40". So when I build the Academy one I will have something to stick on it.

I cut all the film off the the large code letters and trimmed all the others close to the edge of the patterns. There was some fragmentation but I managed to nudge most things back together. I need  a bit of touch up on the "Q"s and the "Sam" in "Penrod and Sam" but on the whole I'm quite happy with it. If you stare hard enough at the block of crosses or at the spaces in the serial number you can just make out the yellowed film, but I can certainly live with it:

Airfix_Thunderbolt_g.jpg

So I have decal touch ups, more work on the fuselage stars to conform to the turbocharger vents and another coat of Future to pull everything together. Then I need to make undercarriage, hanging things and little details, then weather and final varnish.

And it's only two sleeps until SMW!  I'm hoping not to spend too much. I'm planning to go on the Saturday. I expect there will be a Britmodeller stand and I will say hi if there is.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 11