Backdating Tamiya 1/72 F-16

Phantome

I'm increasingly disappointed that there's no word on new versions of this fabulous kit, possibility the best modern jet kit ever made. Its also obvious that Tamiya likes to keep its 1/72 scale fans wanting (no downscaling of their Fw 190A-8 or P-51B).

I was wondering what variants could be built from this kit since it looks like Tamiya at least planned for different versions.

I am not a Viper expert but my limited knowledge suggests that it would be possible to build a wide mouth block 30 from the 1990s onwards (AMRAAM wingtip pylons)? I'm just curious about that starboard panel Tamiya asks you to fill on the block 50 as well as that piece next to the fin which is separate from the fuselage piece. And of course find a way to tint the canopy.

Is a block 40 possible?

Maybe I should stick to the Revell :P

It's just such a nice kit...

Curse upon thee Tamiya for torturing us this way.

Edited by Phantome

No expert here, but probably for the exact reasons you listed. :)

With the seemingly expandable base of the kit aftermarket may just be too afraid to develop a conversion when the kit feels like a multi - variant set up. 

I'm with you in wishing for more from Tamiya. Their small line of WWII items have lined my collection with multiple copies.

As I understand it, you could build a Block 40 from the kit if you changed the HUD and added the scab plates to the upper fuselage. I believe the main undercarriage is different in a Block 30 (different wheels and doors) so I don't think you can build one of those.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As I purchased the Tamiya kit without the weapons I was thinking I could build it as a Block 30 in aggressor markings and was wondering if I could do that by just replacing the wheels and sanding out the bulges in the undercarriage doors?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Just now, FZ6 said:

As I purchased the Tamiya kit without the weapons I was thinking I could build it as a Block 30 in aggressor markings and was wondering if I could do that by just replacing the wheels and sanding out the bulges in the undercarriage doors?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hi, FZ6,

Those parts being almost precious, just buy a Revell kit and use the parts in it (don't you risk "going through" sanding the doors?). I understand the u/c legs in the Tamiya are the "heavy duty" type, which was introduced in the Block 40/42, but in this scale it is hardly noticeably.

Fernando

• Like 1

Thanks Fernando,

I suppose if I got a revell kit I could use the Revell kit to then make a Block 52.

I was have some spare doors and wheels in a Hasegawa kit and was thinking of using these but the doors are slightly different in size, although I'm not sure this would be noticeable if they were open.

The actual u/c legs in the Tamiya kit are no thicker than the Hasegawa and Revell ones I've compared them to in this scale.

I plan to do this scheme.

http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9547

Which can be found on this decal sheet.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TB72100

Regards,

Mark

• 2 months later...

Hi

I also am looking at "back dating" the Tamiya F-16 block 50 to an earlier one. Main topics are cockpit interior and HUD, landing gear with thin/thick wheels and bulged doors or not, thoick base tail or not and the various tail fairings. Also, small or big mouth intake.

But what I really have to look into yet are the differences in panels and panellines. These vary between blocks and it would be a little wast of effort to change engraved panels on such a good kit. But, still investigation work in progress....

Dozens of the various F-16 models and blocks can be seen at my 1/72 F-16 pages. Here the Tamiya kit page...

https://designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/f16/f16-6.htm

Meindert