Zvezda MiG-29SMT? (9-19)

modelglue

A while back I bought the MiG-29 (9-13) and was very impressed with the kit. I see Trumpeter has a SMT (9-19), but was wondering if there was some news I missed updating the eventual Zvezda release? I would love one from the same company.

So far there has been no official info about SMT from Zvezda.

Probably SMT is in the plans (as all the rest of MiG-29/35 variants) , but who knows when it will be ready.

Zvezda is known for taking ages to finalize some projects, but on the other hand some of their models appear really quickly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phantome said:

IIRC early 2017 release, I think there's something in the Rumormonger forum. 

The Trumpeter release looks quite good though

I agree, they are very nice. However, I would like to have both in the same 'style', meaning that if I bought the trumpy kit I'd have to add rivets to the Zvezda. :(

Life can be tough. :lol:

31 minutes ago, modelglue said:

I agree, they are very nice. However, I would like to have both in the same 'style', meaning that if I bought the trumpy kit I'd have to add rivets to the Zvezda. :(

Just fill the rivets on the Trumpeter. Simples!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, modelglue said:

Life can be tough. :lol:

I also like it when it's the same style. You're not the only one who thinks like that. :D

I was slightly disappointed with the lack of any rivets on the Zvezda, and the closed intakes (the top ones). A Fulcrum just doesn't look like a Fulcrum with them closed. Decal cockpit also doesn't give it an edge. For all its faults, the Trumpeter just looks too gorgeous when finished.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phantome said:

and the closed intakes (the top ones). A Fulcrum just doesn't look like a Fulcrum with them closed.

But that's how a MiG-29 appears when at rest - which is how most models are displayed - canopy open, engine not running.

The number of MiG-29 models on display with the upper louvres open, the cockpit unmanned and the engine not running is simply incorrect.

So if moulded open (most kits), they should be filled.

Ken

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Flankerman said:

But that's how a MiG-29 appears when at rest - which is how most models are displayed - canopy open, engine not running.

The number of MiG-29 models on display with the upper louvres open, the cockpit unmanned and the engine not running is simply incorrect.

So if moulded open (most kits), they should be filled.

Ken

I am aware of that but I don't understand why it was so hard for either company to give people the option of open or close. The overwing intakes are one of the most distinctive features of a Fulcrum and I'm pretty sure that 90% of people would prefer to build them open even if it was slightly inaccurate. That and the superior surface detail was what made me go for the Trumpeter.

To press my last point, how many F-15s are on the tarmac with canopy open and airbrake open at the same time? Tornados? Yet nearly everyone who builds an "open" one does it. Realism need not get in the way of making models look the best and Fulcrums with closed top intakes just don't look as awesome :)

• Like 1

On 07.11.2016 at 9:09 PM, Phantome said:

I am aware of that but I don't understand why it was so hard for either company to give people the option of open or close. The overwing intakes are one of the most distinctive features of a Fulcrum and I'm pretty sure that 90% of people would prefer to build them open even if it was slightly inaccurate. 

Many companies making photoetched do overwing intakes.
If so there is a wish in what a problem to buy photoetched from the Part, ACE  or Extratech and to make open overwing intakes?

🤔

B.R.

Serge

4 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Many companies making photoetched do overwing intakes.
If so there is a wish in what a problem to buy photoetched from the Part, ACE  or Extratech and to make open overwing intakes?

🤔

B.R.

Serge

I believe Attack Squadron makes a resin closed intake for the Trumpeter kit. Shame they haven't done the opposite for the Zvezda.