Airfix HMS Victory 1/180 from the very beginning

kev_1962

Can anyone recommend a colour for the transom detail? The photos I've looked at online all seem to show a deeper, richer shade than the pale yellow used elsewhere on the ship. I'm using humbrol enamels and have already tried 'trainer yellow' (no.24) but it was too bright in my opinion so I scrubbed it off. I've gone and bought a tin of 'insignia yellow' (no.154) which has a deeper tinge... but painting such fine detail is painstaking work and I  don't want to scrub off a second time so I'm appealing to anyone who has been through this for some suggestions, or am I mistaken and should stick to the same yellow as used on the rest of the hull...thanks in advance

Kevin

Edited by kev_1962

Thanks for the info that the two colours are the same Chris. I'm going to stick to my humbrol paints tho. I'm taking a short break from this build now as I've heard through the grapevine that santa is bringing me some headmounted magnifiers to help me with detailed work...so I'll wait before doing anymore....plenty 1/72 aircraft to keep me out of mischief 

• 11 months later...

Hi, I'm a new boy here. I'm planning to build one of these myself, so I'd appreciate advice.

My main motivation is that I recently finished Dr John Sugden's mighty Nelson biography and realised to my shame that I'd never done a Victory.

I'm planning to use Humbrol 74 'Linen' for the side bands as it's a pale yellow/ochre. What does anyone else think of this, please?

Also, the plank moulding detail is huge! It would be in scale for a ploughed field better than a carvel built hull. How does one apply masking tape to get the side bands? Is it necessary to fill the 'furrows' before painting?

3 hours ago, Dean said:

Hi, I'm a new boy here. I'm planning to build one of these myself, so I'd appreciate advice.

My main motivation is that I recently finished Dr John Sugden's mighty Nelson biography and realised to my shame that I'd never done a Victory.

I'm planning to use Humbrol 74 'Linen' for the side bands as it's a pale yellow/ochre. What does anyone else think of this, please?

Also, the plank moulding detail is huge! It would be in scale for a ploughed field better than a carvel built hull. How does one apply masking tape to get the side bands? Is it necessary to fill the 'furrows' before painting?

Dean good evening

the yellow ochre that has been used on countless HMS Victory's is not the colour the ship was painted in at Trafalgar (that also includes my 1/72 Caldercraft version, recently the Real ship has had futher tests done and revealved it was a lot lighter, (even quoted as towards Pink)

although i am working in wood the colour that i painted mine in is an acrylic and produced by admiralty paints

mhZqZbk.jpg

• Like 5

Thank you Kevin, for your prompt reply.

Your 1/72 project looks awesomely good. You've even got the fact that the iron hoops on the lower masts were painted to match the masts. Lots of models, even good ones, show them as black.

I've never attempted a job of that scale or difficulty.

Dean

Edited by Dean
awkward wording
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dean said:

Your 1/72 project looks awesomely good. You've even got the fact that the iron hoops on the lower masts were painted to match the masts. Lots of models, even good ones, show them as black.

Dean

She is about 60% complete but on hold as i work on the build which is on my signature strip HMS Fife,

On 21/11/2017 at 14:31, Dean said:

Dean

Dean the mast hoops were simply a bit of evergreen plastic (lol other makes are available)