Ever evolvin dio. ft. 'THE INDESTRUCTIBLE TREE' as ft. on youtube.

Badder

4 hours ago, Ratch said:

You must have the patience of a saint :innocent:

I'm not sure about patience, but I can perform miracles. I once turned a finished Tamiya 1/35th Nashorn into a jumbled heap of broken parts.:rage:

Badder

• Like 1

With the front half of the building having progressed to a satisfactory level, I'm now concentrating on the rear wall.... something I have been putting off because to be honest I wasn't happy with the upper section.

It doesn't show up in the photographs previously posted, but the right hand section is a bit distorted between the window aperture and the corner stones. There's a distinct dip in the stonework and this affects the right top corner of the window surround as well.

So, I've skimmed over the 'dippy' stonework and have built up the top right corner of the window surround as shown below.

SGEOnzW.jpg

Whilst the 'skim' might look a bit scrappy, I deliberately made it deeper than required so the blemishes are not a problem and can be sanded out.

Now I just have to re-carve the stonework and the brickwork.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. Great to see more of your fascinating project. :thumbsup:

KInd regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix

It's an honour to have you along for the ride.

Here's the wall with the brickwork carved: (I used a diamond needle file rather than a scalpel)

lZyDvPc.jpg

....and given a going over with dark earth weathering powder mixed with water:

wQPPj3O.jpg

I've test fitted this section to the building (obviously) and it's quite a nice fit. Actually gluing it in place isn't going to be straight forward though, as I want to make it very very secure. Simply applying CA around the edges and slotting it in place won't do as there's not a huge amount of contact area in some places. So, I'm going to use my 'roll of paper soaked in CA technique'.

But first though, I have to finish the windows. I had planned to cover them with shutters, getting around the issue of not actually having any kit window frames left. However, I have found a few bits and pieces which I may be able to adapt to make one window fully framed. So, maybe one window with the shutters closed, and one window with the shutters open? We shall see.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

The brickwork carving looks well done Badder. :goodjob:

Hope you have a good (productive) Bank Holiday weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

And the same to you and yours.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You wall engraving looks fantastic, where did you get a dimond tip file from?

Thanks Ozzy.

I've tidied up the stonework a bit more since painting it. (Pure white plaster is a bit blinding and hides some of the 'not so good bits')

Oh, by 'diamond needle file' I meant those needle files that are impregnated with diamond dust. I got a pack from Hobbycraft. You get half a dozen in a pack, each with a different shaped cross-section. There's a choice of a pack of small files, or larger ones I have both.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Badder said:

Thanks Ozzy.

I've tidied up the stonework a bit more since painting it. (Pure white plaster is a bit blinding and hides some of the 'not so good bits')

Oh, by 'diamond needle file' I meant those needle files that are impregnated with diamond dust. I got a pack from Hobbycraft. You get half a dozen in a pack, each with a different shaped cross-section. There's a choice of a pack of small files, or larger ones I have both.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder,

i will i'll keep an eye out for them.

Window surrounds painted to near completion and whole thing given a dusting with plaster powder.

iunvZvE.jpg

Blue not showing up so much in photo, maybe due to the dusting, but it's going to get more blue anyway.

TFL

Badder.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

I had hoped to show one of the windows with the shutters open. I had the window frames, the bits that held the actual glazing, but not the outer frame. And then I remembered that I have another MiniArt building in my stash (Polish Town House) and I was sure it would use the same frame/windows, and possibly have some spares. Although it did have the exact same windows, it didn't have any spares. No matter, I thought, one of the four windows was half blown out, and the frame had to be cut in half. So, I could actually make do without it and use it for THIS building instead.

So I removed the frame and test fitted it. It didn't fit. Again, this was due to shrinkage of the plaster cast. I could have shaved off the sides of the window aperture so as to get it to fit, but then I realised that the shutters would then be too narrow, and wouldn't meet in the middle.

Scrub the idea of showing one window with the shutters open then. Never mind, the spare window from the Polish Town House kit can now be used for the rear ground floor.

Here are the shitters dry-fitted and closed then, but be aware that one has yet to be given a blue coat.

X9bIkaU.jpg

Meanwhile, I've painted up and have dry-fitted a partially open window for the end wall. The join down the middle of the wall still shows up in this photo, but it will be disguised by more moss/ivy.

XGjlzS1.jpg

CWjdbn5.jpg

The window surround requires some more treatment.

I now have the problem of the opposite window... one for which I have no frames at all.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

I've CA'd the window shutters in place and given the far right shutter a going over with blue. More treatment of the shutters and wall will be required, but I won't be doing any more painting until after the wall is fixed in place and the cornerstones have been carved to match those of the side walls.

As you can see in the photo below, I'm looking ahead to fixing this upper section of wall in place.

Here, the wall section is dry-fitted.

NtatbnT.jpg

The top of the wall section is chamfered and fits snuggly under the roof tiles. And I've glued a 'plank' of balsa wood to the floorboards, creating a 'lip' for the wall section to sit on. This balsa 'plank' sits in what will be a recess..... so when I add the bottom section of wall I can skim over the balsa wood with plaster and carve the stonework joining both sections.

Both ends of the wall section are also chamfered. Unfortunately, the right hand end doesn't fit snuggly against the adjoining side wall and this area will have to be filled and re-carved. At the left hand end though, the fit is much better and the stonework already matches up nicely, so very little needs to be done here to make a good corner.

I have an idea to add a very narrow 'window' to the rear of the 'barn section' of the building..... more of a ventilation slot than anything. Meanwhile, I can use the 'spare' window from the Polish Town House and provide some light to the adjoining 'dungeon'.

TFL

Badder

And now for beer and some live rock music.... 

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Looks really good Badder, you quickly build up a nice spares box from the extras you get from mini art kits.

Thanks, and yes.

I already have 2 or 3 lampposts, a metal stairway with non-slip metal steps,several lanterns and a fair few ornamental railings and gates which are 'extras' I chose to purchase the Polish Town House precisely because it contained parts which I do not currently have. and because the walls are not 'bog standard'.I can therefore expand my range of moulds for future builds.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

With none of the parts to make the last of the smaller windows, I decided instead to 'board up' the window, using balsa wood. This I washed with dark earth, then scraped gently over it with a straight scalpel blade, held flat against the surface. This brought out the grain.

Unfortunately, while gluing the 'board' in place with CA, some dribbled onto the balsa wood, effectively staining and sealing it. This shows up as a darker area top left of the board. But never mind. I should be able to equalize everything.

The only other thing I've done today is to turn the window around on the opposite wall, and glue that in place.

Now I just have the front door to fix in place, and once that area is dealt with I can fix the upper section of rear wall permanently.

TJ0EBBZ.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

During all the dry-fittings of the window, I had it opening the opposite way, but when I came to fix it in place I decided to turn it upside down. I just think it looks better opening this way.

PB3puZh.jpg

ehUixNg.jpg

I will be removing some of the 'dirt' from this window. The dirt is on the inside of the window and will come off easily.

And finally for today...

As I am about to fix the front door in place I added some more interior detail.

Previously, I had thought about adding a coat hanger and some coats to the wall just inside the door, but this would restrict access at best, and foul the door at worst. For the same reason, a line of boots and shoes was out of the question. I'd had a better idea.

And here it is:

2zdCemR.jpg

This 'oil portrait' was sourced from the internet. It features a husband and wife standing outside their rural home. I imagine that it is either a portrait of one set of parents, or features the current husband and wife at some earlier point in their lives.

Those with a knowledge of art, may recognise the portrait.

20 'BADDER POINTS' TO THE FIRST TO NAME THE PAINTING!

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

Your weathering looks fantastic, for the painting I'm going to go for American gothic. What size is your skirting boards?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Your weathering looks fantastic, for the painting I'm going to go for American gothic. What size is your skirting boards?

The weathering for the building's stonework isn't at all finished yet, but thanks Ozzy.

I went for high skirting boards... which I believe was the fashion in days of yore. (I am imagining that this building was built around mid-June 1893  :D

Predictably, I used coffee stirring sticks for the skirting boards so they are around 4mm (which equates to 14cm at full size and is certainly not too high) I haven't been too fussy with them as the door will be half-open and someone will be standing in front of it.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

for the painting I'm going to go for American gothic.

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Haven't got the foggiest about the painting but it's a fantastic touch...

Thanks Vince. It's a shame I didn't blow the building up so I could show some more wall-hangings!:idea:

Ozzy scores 20 'Badder points' for knowing that it's 'American Gothic'.

Only another 1,999,980 points to get and you'll win a free pack of Hobnob biscuits Ozzy!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

i used my hand against the skirting boards in the house then measured a figures hand and cut mine at 5mm, I shall endeavour to get those remaining points a a pack of hob nobs would go down nicely.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

i used my hand against the skirting boards in the house then measured a figures hand and cut mine at 5mm, I shall endeavour to get those remaining points a a pack of hob nobs would go down nicely.

I think anywhere between 3mm and 6mm is fine.

Sorry, I just ate the hobnobs. I figured they'd be stale by the time you clocked up the points.

Rearguards,

Badder

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Or to put it another way 'The ever evolving diorama'.

Here's my diorama dilemma. Apart from the 'barn doors' there's no access to the ground floor. There's also a distinct lack of windows. This is plainly very silly, and something I have been aware of from the 'get go'. There has to be a door and at least one window at ground level. I had considered:

1. Placing a window and door at the rear of the 'barn' section.

2. Placing a window and door at the rear of the 'dungeon' section.

3. Placing two windows and a door at the rear.

4. Adding an extension to one side of the building or the other and providing an access point and possibly a window there, whilst placing one or two windows at the rear.

Now, I do like the sound of option 4.  The end walls of the building are rather plain and boring so a small extension with a doorway 'and possibly a window' would definitely add some interest. Meanwhile, I can maybe bung another window in the rear wall, and add that 'ventilation slot' I was on about?

Leaning towards option 4, I'm going to have a 'play around' with things first.

So here's a cast I've made with that in mind....

715z5vi.jpg

And here it is tidied up a bit.

xU02sgI.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3