Ever evolvin dio. ft. 'THE INDESTRUCTIBLE TREE' as ft. on youtube.

Badder

4 hours ago, Major_Error said:

This is absolutely impressive, @Badder.

You are doing a wonderful work.

[BOLD] If it was possible to give a "double Like"..... [bold]

8-D

Thanks Major.....Much appreciated.

:idea:Well, you could just like every single post in this thread, one by one ....

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Beautiful job on the gutters Badder (the rest ain't to shabby either ;))...

Thanks Vince. Again, much appreciated.

Although I've been CA'ing paper for quite a while for various 'odd jobs' like rifle straps, the front door hinge, and as interfaces between plaster casts etc, I've not realised its full potential until trying it out for the guttering. I've just used it while making this inner door for the porch... making the door frame and window frame. I just cut out the shapes in some graph paper then CA'd them straight onto the door. And at some point I can go back to the first building and make the chimney pots using the same method.

Rearguards,

Badder

The paper/CA thing is definitely a worthwhile technique

• Like 1

I've scratched a door from plasticard and have framed it and its window with CA'd paper. I've also made a plasticard surround for the door. This will be carved with the brickwork and will stand proud of the wall's surface, as per the other door and window surrounds. The door itself will be inset into the wall.

As you can see, I've been tidying up the porch, filling here and there and re-carving. I still have to square the window up a bit, and level off the window sill. Nothing here is fixed in position yet and so it's a bit wonky in places.

sjaELGl.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

:dalek1:HOLD UP GUYS, I'M HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS ABOUT THE PORCH!:dalek1:

I've realised that it would be better placed on the other side of the building, giving access and providing light to the other half of the ground floor which has no windows and can only be accessed via the barn section. The barn section would get plenty of light when the barn doors are opened, after all.

No great disaster then, because luckily I haven't started carving out a doorway in the side wall yet.

So the porch is moving to the opposite side. Meanwhile the rear of that 'room' will get an additional barred window. The barn section can do without windows, but I will put in a couple of 'ventilation' slots.

Things EVOLVE.

TFL

Badder

• Like 2

Most of the work today has been tidying up and consolidating what I've already done.

I've added just two parts to the building, that being some rusty old iron 'straps' which hold the wooden board in the blocked-up window, and a brass strip across the door threshold.

Here's the iron strapping.

YrVfpTz.jpg

And here's the brass strip across the threshold. It doesn't show up brassy here as I'd just given the area a dark wash and hadn't yet wiped the brass strip clean.

Sfjvbyi.jpg

The brass strip was made from a diabetes blood testing strip... of which I have hundreds. I peeled the plastic sensor 'array' (lol) off of the strip revealing the 'brass' strip beneath. 

I'd just like to add that the last couple of pages of photos make everything look better than it is. Usually it's the other way round!

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

I've cracked on with the porch, firstly adding the exposed rafter ends under the eaves. I made these from a length of thin baton purchased from my LHS. I could just have well used matchsticks, but I'm saving them for timber that will be more visible as they have a better grain. 

I've also begun to treat the roof tiles, applying a couple of washes to darken the tiles up and add some tonal variation.

The walls have been given a couple of washes also, then a powdering with plaster dust (again scraped from a spare bit of set plaster as it is more inert) Moss and tons of ivy will cover most of this porch though.

And finally, I've fixed the bars to the window. I decided to place them on the outside rather than inside, purely for aesthetic purposes and not for those of security. I added four brackets to fix them to the window surround and rusted them up with.... yes.. you guessed it... Humbrol Rust Weathering Powder.

Below, the brackets need a dark wash.

PFMWWFu.jpg

The porch as it stands at the moment:

GcGG886.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Any Blacksmith looking at those bars would be impressed...

If I could scratchbuild stuff as good as that I wouldn't bother buying models!

The bars are actually half of a pair for an ornamental gate. They come with the kit, although they are not used. They also come with the Ruined Village House kit featured earlier, and again are not used, so I have 3 gates left.

Rearguards,

Badder

3 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

They still need weathering though (whether you made made them or not they look the part)...

Thanks Vince.

As I said earlier, the photos are actually making a few things look a lot better than they look in real life. Unusual that magnification should do that, but I'm not complaining! So long as things that are supposed to look smooth and clean turn out looking smooth and clean, then all is well! ;-)

• Like 1

I took the plunge and carved out a recess in which to insert the door. Being positioned where it is (with the porch window situated directlybelow the boarded up window) it meant cutting into the plaster cast wall and the kit's plastic wall. Cutting into the plastic was obviously a lot easier, but it did mean revealing the cavity behind. This weakened the structural integrity of the plastic wall at this point, meaning that it flexed, so I stuffed the cavity with folded and rolled paper and gave it all a quick squirt of thin CA. This then hardened to form a stiff support for the plastic wall and stopped it from flexing.

I was mindful that the paper and end of the plastic wall should not be visible through the door's window, and the same was required of the plaster wall, so the plaster was cut away from behind the window as well.  

9KxkZhk.jpg

So, here's the door and surround dry-fitted.

3YcJoXm.jpg

When the porch is fitted, the view of the door and through its window will be restricted, but my conscience wouldn't let me simply make a 'false' window. If I can find my 'diamond' rubber matting I shall pave the interior of the porch with tiles.

I now have a minor repair to do as I accidentally knocked the plaster roof  and chipped off a small sliver of tiles along the edge.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

The title for your thread is certainly correct - looking excellent though - very impressive weathering on all the different types of materials. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

The title for your thread is certainly correct - looking excellent though - very impressive weathering on all the different types of materials. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

Heads up, it may evolve astronomically yet! (but no, I don't mean it'll be appearing in the Real Space and Sci-Fi section)

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

I've removed the bars from the porch window, figuring that I'd probably added them too early, what with further painting work required on the roof, stonework and interior. Chances are it would get ruined by overspray, CA, dust etc, or damaged by clumsy hands.

With the inner door fixed in place and weathered just short of finished, I dry-fitted the porch and cut out a piece of diamond 'tiled' rubber mat which I had left over from the first building. This I glued to the inner edges of the porch, using strips of balsa wood around the edges to increase the contact areas.  The rubber mat was already painted and weathered during the previous build. I may or may not treat it further.

M9p7e4A.jpg

G8URo2N.jpg

Now, I won't be fixing the porch to the side wall for some time as I'm sure it would get damaged. And for the same reason I won't be adding the door handle.

BTW

The roof repair (on the main building) didn't go quite to plan. I had thought that it would be a simple case of re-attaching the sliver of plaster with thin CA. Unfortunately, I misaligned the sliver and the thing glued instantly. Trying to remove it would result in more damage. I therefore had to sand it and the surrounding tiles down a bit and repaint the area. It was difficult to get a precise colour match without spending hours trying to follow the original processes, so I settled for a 'redder' finish and blended this in with the surrounding tiles. The result is actually quite nice and doesn't look unnatural.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

That's looking fantastic, the cutting of the door and the outhouse look as though they were original fittings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

That's looking fantastic, the cutting of the door and the outhouse look as though they were original fittings.

Thanks Ozzy,

That was the idea. Though I have to say if I'd known before hand that I was going to move it to where it is now, I'd have positioned the doors and window differently. But never mind it's no big issue.

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

I've made a combined shelving and workbench type thing for inside the porch.

I'm not going to bother telling you what I have made the 'combined shelving and workbench type thing' from because most of you can probably guess without even looking at the photo below, and those who can't will certainly be able to guess AFTER seeing the photo below, so it would be a waste of space, time and effort going into the details here and wasting space, time and effort going into details is something I don't like doing. So, I haven't.

cAunnTk.jpg

Oh, and I've fixed the upper rear wall permanently.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, kpnuts said:

This is all looking awesome.

Thanks KP.

I have no idea how this is going to end up. I may have to leave the first building out of the dio... and I may yet scrap the Churchill and Universal Carriers idea!

Rearguards,

Badder

This is fascinating to watch. Either you have a clear vision of how you want your building to be, or it is evolving. like buildings did through time.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ratch said:

This is fascinating to watch. Either you have a clear vision of how you want your building to be, or it is evolving. like buildings did through time.

Hi Ratch.

I bought the first MiniArt building thinking I'd make do with what little was in the kit, but quickly decided to expand it, and tried casting for the first time. The casting was successful and so the building expanded although in an organic, suck it and see way. I didn't really have a clue as to how big it would be, or how ruined it would be. I kind of reached a point where I fancied it should be even bigger.... but then stopped before I got carried away. Then I saw this second building (above) and thought I'd use this as well as the first to fill the dio. I had to build the back to this building though as I wanted an undamaged building, and not a dolls' house either.

But this building is just too square and box-like for my liking, hence the 'porch' addition.

Now I'm realising that to use both buildings will leave very little room for anything else, so I am now thinking I'll omit the first building and just use this second one... with some animal pens, sheds, lean-to's and walls around about it.

So yes, this building, like the dio itself, is evolving, just as I knew it would! Hence the title.

Rearguards,

Badder

With the upper rear wall fitted, I had to blend the cornerstones at either end. On this end, the stones on each cast match up as they were casts taken from the kit's walls corresponding to this corner. At the other end the stones do not match up, so I've sanded the stones off one wall and will be making new matching stones from plasticard.

2f5UQai.jpg

The corner roughly sanded and painted prior to recarving the joints.

JVGfPB8.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

Fascinating stuff Badder. I'm always impressed each time I drop in. You really have an eye for how this structure would look in real life. Wonderfully creative modelling.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1