Ever evolvin dio. ft. 'THE INDESTRUCTIBLE TREE' as ft. on youtube.

Badder

On 2/27/2017 at 9:08 AM, Badder said:

238604DSC08441.jpg

Take note of the upper floor door's orientation. The box art and instructions show the door opening right to left. Well, I'd like to see someone exit the building and descend the stairs if the door opened that way. It would block access to the stairs. It would also mean having to step back towards the stairs or and then squeezing around the door when entering. A bit dangerous I'd have thought!  Far more sensible to have it open left to right and rest against the end railings out of the way.

The gap down the left hand side of the hatch under the stairway will be blocked one I've added a post behind it.

TFL

Badder

Surely the opens inwards?

• Like 1

The roof has been given a patchy going over with very thinned-down red/brown, and also earth brown, to impart a bit of colour/tonal variation. I will seal the roof with acrylic gloss varnish but won't be doing anything else to it until the rear of the building has been added and the two sections of roof joined. 

Also today, the walls have received a coat  of dark earth. I will be following the box art; painting the window and door surrounds brick-red.

With regards to the stonework, the patterns and size of the stones are different from the first building but I think it would be rather odd if they were a different colour. It's reasonable to assume that the stones for both would have been sourced from the same local quarry.

Pics will follow immediately that the intermittentnet is capable of handling two open windows on my laptop.

TFL

Badder

• Like 2

Sorry but I am having problems with Hostingpics and can't upload pics to their sharing site. It may be because of a windows update which ran for over 24hrs before conking out... but then it may be Hostingpics' fault.

Nevertheless, work continues.....

Pics when I get things sorted.

Not sure if it was my laptop or Hosting pics, but it's working again now.

The roof looks brown here, but it's actually terracotta.

Below:

Not the same brown as I used on the previous building because Amazon have bought up the entire UK stocks of Humbrol Dark Earth Weathering Powder, but I will get it to the same colour with some more coats and washes.

I've focussed the camera on the corner between the front and side walls. A small amount of green putty was used to fill where I had scraped back the joint.  As you can see, some of the stonework pattern has to be re-carved, but it's much easier to carve putty than it is the original plastic.

98Mp3OH.jpg

z5UJ8zR.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

So, has anyone else noticed that Amazon no longer sell Humbrol Weathering Powder on it's site UNLESS you buy it directly from their own stock reserves? And then you have to purchase over 20 quid's worth of stuff directly from their own stocks before they'll include it as an 'add on'?nd

In other words, I can't buy Dark Earth Weathering Powder from a model shop via Amazon. Amazon have bought up stocks of the stuff and sell it  directly from their warehouses. The model shops therefore lose out on purchases and the shelves of my LHS and Hobbycraft  devoid of the stuff and 'won't be getting any new stock for the 'foreseeable future'.

Grrrr

TFL

Badder

3 hours ago, Avereda said:

I can have a look in the model shops of Salisbury for the weathering powder if that's any use to you?

cool, let me know cos my wife works in salisbury and she can pop in and get some; cheers.

Badder

Nothing in Salisbury Model Centre. Endless Models has Humbrol weathering powders but no Dark Earth in stock. It might be worth giving Endless Models a bell to see if he's getting any in. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Avereda said:

Nothing in Salisbury Model Centre. Endless Models has Humbrol weathering powders but no Dark Earth in stock. It might be worth giving Endless Models a bell to see if he's getting any in. 

As I said, it seems Dark Earth isn't available anywhere. I really do think Amazon have bought up the lot. I haven't asked my LHS if they can order any in, all I know is they've run out and didn't offer to order me some.

I can make do without it, but using enamel washes instead.

Cheers anyway,

Badder

I've purchased a metre long plank of 2mm balsa wood because I am going to have to construct a first floor...er... floor for this building. It might not be visible through the windows, but I will probably have the door open at the top of the steps so it must be done.

Having said all that, I will be putting that aside for now and I will be concentrating on casting a roof section and walls for the rear half of the building.

TFL

Badder

• Like 2

Here's a new section of wall for the rear of the building. It's a cast of the wall on the opposite side, as obviously the slope of the roof has to be reversed. Likewise, the cast of the wall section adjacent to it will be fitted to the other side. I will be building some ground floor extensions to this building as I think that would reflect the natural evolution of an old building and look much more natural.

FlZFiQS.jpg

And now to cast the roof section.....

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

I cast the roof section and all was looking good until I offered it up to the original and found that the mould had shrunk.  The cast was therefore smaller than the original. Not to worry, I could drop the cast into the mould again, only set off to one side by 2.5 tile-widths.  I could then pour a line of plaster onto the end of the cast. This would add the required width to the roof.

Unfortunately I forgot that the cast - being off set by half a tile width - would sit upon the details of the mould rather than engaging with them, and so the newly added plaster was raised in comparison to the first cast.

Oh dear...

xrpJjIo.jpg

So, I decided to chop off the newly added section and re-attach it more on the level. 

VthDsVZ.jpg

Having done this, this end of the roof still looks a bit uneven, but not unnaturally so. I am happy with the result., I just have to fill in the join and re-carve some of the tiles.

With the casts resting in place:

1RiqtKQ.jpg

Oh, and I've come up with a great idea for when I join this section of roof to the other.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice job Badder, have you ever thought of working for Barrettes?  

Are they anything like Barretts the house builders? :huh:

At the moment this building is very much like a Barretts' home: a rectangular box, 2 up, 1 down,  plus a garage where another room would have been the better option. Of course the garage won't actually be big enough to allow you to park your car and open the doors to get out, and so it will be filled with a ping-pong table, a chest freezer, an exercise bike that was only ever used once, several aluminium ladders (rather than those American 'aluminum' ones) a smelly fisherman's keepnet and fibreglass seatbox, some split cane rods, wellington boots, and a deflated rolled up paddling pool that your children punctured back in 1972.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

That's the one,Predictive text.

And I just realised my 'Aluminum' ladder had been corrected back to Aluminium.

• Like 1

The two new side walls and roof have been tidied up. I had to add a course of stonework to the bottom of one of the walls, again because it's mould had shrunk when compared to that of the other wall. I've also added the wood facia to the tops of the walls and cleaned up the slopes ready for when the roof is fixed on top, but that will not happen for a long time yet.

For now, I am going to reinforce the casts on their reverse sides with cardboard and lashings of PVA.

As it happens, the Ruined Village House kit came with window parts that were extraneous to that build, and luckily they are the same as those needed for the extra window I've now got in the new side wall, I will be using these parts but I'm going to back them with curtains. This will save me having to build an inner wall and flooring.

TFL

Badder

The reverse sides of the new casts were given thick coats of PVA, in which I embedded torn up strips of cardboard. They have now all dried. They are less likely to snap if knocked or dropped now, but if they do the PVA and cardboard backing will at least hold the parts together and stop secondary damage and make repairing them much easier. (thin CA trickled into the cracks is a quick and effective fix I've found)

For those of you who are picture-hungry, here's my idea for making a nice tidy join at the apex of the roof: ridge tiles,  made from the guttering.  Or rather, a cast which I will make from this guttering..

vBTOD8b.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice idea, looks good.

8 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Fantastic job Badder,very nice...

Thanks chaps,

I'm currently having a think about what I still need to do and in what order to do it.

Rearguards,

Badder.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Looking great so far, love the way it's evolving.

Cheers KP,

I usually have some idea of what the layout is going to be, but I have no idea with this one! I won't decide until both buildings have been extended to my liking.

Reargaurds,

Badder