Ever evolvin dio. ft. 'THE INDESTRUCTIBLE TREE' as ft. on youtube.

Badder

I really like the way your white wash turned out!!  Also nice leaves, nice bush. Great job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

Just cherry picked a few pages here (I'll start going through it from the start) and I'm most impressed,  invaluable how to material, 

Glynn

Hi Hewy,

Nice of you to say so, and welcome. You'll have quite a few pages to trawl through! This was always intended to be a 'if you're going to make one diorama in your life, go all out to make it as good as you possibly can,' type diorama. So there was always going to be some evolution. I still can't absolutely-for-certain say that the Churchill and Universal Carrier/s are going to be the subject matter, (and even they weren't the original intention!)

And I'm considering 'dropping' the first building as I may not have enough room for it.

I have a rough idea of where I'm going, but I will know better when the current building is finished.

And I do hope you find something useful in this thread. That's the whole point of my posting this thread, and why I'm going into lengthy detail with lots of pics.

Rearguards

Badder

1 hour ago, RichO said:

I really like the way your white wash turned out!!  Also nice leaves, nice bush. Great job.

Hi Rich... the whitewash was an experiment, and I'm glad I did it. I got very bored with brown! I'm pleased with the leaves too.... a paper punch costing a couple of quid and i'm producing leaves that compare well with the PE ones you can buy. And I'm glad you like my bush. I'm going to leave it untrimmed and let it grow wild!:D

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

I sped things up a bit by first gluing snowflakes end to end with thin CA. Once I'd formed a chain I could fold down the 2 uppermost 'lobes' on each snowflake, creating a nice evenly spaced row of leaves, pretty much like the real thing. Then I could CA one end in amongst those leaves already fixed in place, extend the 'chain' out into 'un-leaved' territory and CA the other end to one of the roots. I then repeated the process, only this time using the first chain as a 'support'.  Occasionally I would add a single folded snowflake in there as well, to add some more depth, to make a sticky-out bit, or to bulk out a sparse area.

I'd also make chains for vertical 'branches' where each snowflake is folded in half on the horizontal plane, but are then 'stacked vertically, each slipping slightly inside the fold of the one above.

Below.... a horizontal 'chain' used for extending leaves out sideways and diagonally upwards. Here the top two 'lobes' of each snowflake have not been folded down yet.

Also, three snowflakes folded on the horizontal, but about to be slid one just inside the other to form a vertical 'branch'.

k0DFPo2.jpg

The plant as it stands at the moment.... I will be adding some more to this.... yeah I know I said I wouldn't post any more pics until it's ready for the varnish, but hey ho.LDQ5D3A.jpg

ps, I am dead chuffed with how this 'ivy' is turning out.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

I've completed this ivy-type/creeper plant thing, having added some more leaves to the lower left side. These were supported by 'branches' which I made from brass wire. The whole lot was given an acrylic gloss coat and washed with Humbrol Dark Green Wash, thinned out here and there with more enamel thinners.  A final coat of gloss varnish has been applied, but it's slightly too glossy for my liking and I'm going to tone it down with a spray of satin varnish instead.

The following photos were taken after the dark green wash, and before the 'final' gloss varnish.

h2ZL5Qb.jpg

Oljn0Ll.jpg

aeFD1Na.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

Now, I do actually like how this plant looked when it had the lime green base coat so when I come to make more of these plants some will be that colour. I may even do a purple leaved version.

TFL

Badder

• Like 1

Just now, Rob 1 said:

That looks excellent!

Thanks Rob,

I'll be making a few more of these plants to grace other areas of wall. But there will be some different species in there as well, hopefully.

Reaguards

Badder

Edited by Badder

Just now, RichO said:

Dang Badder, that looks great!

Thanks Rich,

Again, your exclamation is much appreciated!

Rearguards,

Badder

Just now, Major_Error said:

A purple version would become nice!

8-)

I know the leaves are much too big to be ivy at this scale, but there are other species of creepers with large leaves and some of those have purple leaves. I just can't for the life of me find any pics of them on the internet!:D 

If there are any botanists out there who can name some plant that mine can be passed off as, I'd be delighted to hear from you!

Rearguards,

Badder

Outside our house we had, previously, a tree that hand purple leaves during summer. They became green in the autumn! (of course)

I did not find any good picture of it, but I found one with the BMW that I had in those days!

The tree is behind, and you can see the color of the red leaves and a normal green tree. The red leaves was on a tree that had hassel(?) nuts in the autumn. I found it very cool to have red leaves and nuts in the autumn. But the tree had to go as my wife wanted a porch...

BMW%20318%201_1.jpg

But you can see something there....

• Like 1

I added some more leaves to the lower right of the plant, to bring it down closer to ground level. I've left the leaves the lime green colour to represent 'newer growth' I also gave the rest of the plant a very light spray with the same colour, pointing the airbrush vertically downwards to pick out just some of the leaves.0vDCCrw.jpg

I will be fixing the 'ivy' to the wall using blobs of medium CA wherever there is good contact. However, the plant will need to be held tight up against the wall in some places and this will be done by looping thin wire around the relevant stem, twizzling the ends of the wire together and then gluing the twizzle into a pre-drilled hole.0vDCCrw.jpg

But I won't be fixing the 'ivy' in place until after I've added more 'undergrowth' to the wall. So now it's time for the Chervil and Dil Tops......

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

Just now, Major_Error said:

Outside our house we had, previously, a tree that hand purple leaves during summer. They became green in the autumn! (of course)

I did not find any good picture of it, but I found one with the BMW that I had in those days!

The tree is behind, and you can see the color of the red leaves and a normal green tree. The red leaves was on a tree that had hassel(?) nuts in the autumn. I found it very cool to have red leaves and nuts in the autumn. But the tree had to go as my wife wanted a porch...

BMW%20318%201_1.jpg

But you can see something there....

Nice car! Shame it's probably been broken up and a small percentage of the steel was turned into a bracket for holding a flodget in place inside a washing machine.

As for the tree/nuts I think you mean Hazel Nuts? I've not seen a purple Hazel tree before though. I'm no expert on non-British trees. Possibly yours is a kind of Maple, or Beech? Someone out there will know.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Badder said:

Nice car! Shame it's probably been broken up and a small percentage of the steel was turned into a bracket for holding a flodget in place inside a washing machine.

As for the tree/nuts I think you mean Hazel Nuts? I've not seen a purple Hazel tree before though. I'm no expert on non-British trees. Possibly yours is a kind of Maple, or Beech? Someone out there will know.

Rearguards,

Badder

Yes. Hazel is the right name. There were small clusters with 3-5 nuts in. Smal dark red/brown cocoon that kept each nut. I have never seen such a tree either before or after...

(By the way, the BMW lived for about 10 years after it left my hands).

• Like 1

I've added 'undergrowth' for the ivy. I tipped the building up on it's side and dribbled and dabbed thin CA in roughly diagonal lines, radiating out from the central area of the wall. Then I sprinkled loose Earl Grey tea leaves over the top.

The bare patch is obviously going to be covered with the ivy.68Zv5Jb.jpg

IAFtBy3.jpg

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

Looks fantastic Badder, I'm going in my garden to look for some roots. A a bit of ivy would look nice on the side of the Dutch building I'm building.

• Like 1

Just now, Ozzy said:

Looks fantastic Badder, I'm going in my garden to look for some roots. A a bit of ivy would look nice on the side of the Dutch building I'm building.

Thanks Ozzy.

Let them dry out for a week or two, then give them a good dunking in 50/50 PVA/water. Hang them up to dry, and if you want to be extra OCD, dunk them again and hang them up the other way.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

I've added tea leaves to all the other walls, again laying them out in very rough lines. I'm going to add more 'ivy' to most of the walls, and I may bung in a purple variety.

Photos taken outside, giving better colour definition.

iGHiTTH.jpg

PHst21N.jpg

Below... since taking this photo I've added ivy to the wall above the steps.

Zbcy0Cq.jpg

I'm toying with the idea of extending the ivy I've already fixed in place, almost filling up that the entire wall. Apart from the window, this wall is lacking any architectural details, so it's not like I'm covering anything up. In other areas, there's the age old problem we model-makers regularly have to face... just how much ivy, camo netting, snow, etc can we place over our models without hiding all that hard work and lovely detail we've spent so long getting right?

My thinking is that there will be a fair bit of ivy on the other gable wall, spreading up and over the porch and reaching almost to the tops of the windows at the highest point. The rear wall will have very little ivy, and what there is will have spread around from the gable walls rather than up from the ground. This is because the ground at the rear of the building will consist of a cobbled yard and animals such as pigs would probably eat any plant trying to grow there. There will be very little ivy at the front of the building and what there is will be growing around the step area.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

Once again, beautiful work.  I particularly like the "lead sheet" around the chimney.

• Like 1

wow, that leaves approach is mental. Have you ever considered to buy one of these?

( it's like those paper punches but with leaves shapes )

051.JPG

technically speaking you can even cut them out from a real leaf to obtain the best color resutl ( at least for dead leaves, i don't think a green leave would stay green even if sealed properly )

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 2

On Dienstag, 6. Juni 2017 at 9:16 PM, Badder said:

I know the leaves are much too big to be ivy at this scale, but there are other species of creepers with large leaves and some of those have purple leaves. I just can't for the life of me find any pics of them on the internet!:D

If there are any botanists out there who can name some plant that mine can be passed off as, I'd be delighted to hear from you!

Do an image search for 'vitis vinifera facade' and you'll find some pretty, broad-leaved creepers, some of them purple.

The shape of your leaves does not remind me of any creeping plant, just of oaks. And it's way too large for these in this scale anyway. That's an obstacle that's very difficult to overcome. Often it's better to go for the right overall structure, as you do with the tea leaves, than to try to replicate every little detail fo the shape of the leaves.

For real ivy with its hand shaped leaves the winged seeds of birches are often a close aproximation, but I think you have used these before.

• Like 1