This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Badder

Ever evolvin' dio HAD AN IDEA post 1005 p41

Progress has progressed.

The rest of the track area, and the 'forecourt' has been 'gauzed up' and just needs a skim of plaster, as does a section of bank at the front right of the dio. I still have to build up the area at the rear of the diorama but it's all 'dammed' and ready for a few more pourings of plaster. I will be inserting a plug of modelling clay into the plaster at this point. This will be removed at a later date to accept the trunk of the large tree.

I know that there's still a lot of work to do, vegetation-wise, and with the 'gravelling' of the track etc, but I feel I'm on the homeward straight now and that actually the diorama (not including the vehicles and figures) is going to be finished much sooner than I had imagined, maybe 8 months sooner!

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder

Sorry to hear about the Horses. If you need help my daughter has a dual degree in equine and ranch management. Shes been looking for work. Im going to guess not but thought I’d ask just in case.

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:26 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry to hear about the Horses. If you need help my daughter has a dual degree in equine and ranch management. Shes been looking for work. Im going to guess not but thought I’d ask just in case.

Old Ned didn't snuff it, so all's well thanks.

Horses taking up valuable daylight hours though, so progress on the dio slower than I'd like. Horses and ponies are a good source of natural fibres though! I'm going to be making some plants from horse hair! :D

Rearguards,

Badder

Okay, no interruptions today, so hopefully the landscaping will be finished by tonight.

While the various pours of plaster are drying I can fill the time by making strips of stonework to support those areas of cobbles which are raised above the ground level. This will include the ramp. Then I can get on with the grassing-up and the track ruts etc.

Pics in about 8 hrs I expect.

TFL

Badder

Sorry for the delay. Horses taking up more daylight hours than I envisaged.

But here's the way things stand:

I've placed the building and tree.... er.... in place.... marking the tree's position relative to the building and the rear edge of the diorama. I've now removed the tree and building, but left a clay 'stump where the tree will stand. I can now raise the ground level around this stump.

Once the clay is removed I will have a hole in which to 'plant' the tree. However, I plan to make a 'collar' to fit around the trunk of the tree and this collar will have the roots and other details fixed to it. The collar will sit on the surface of the plaster while the excess trunk below it will be fixed into the hole.

658969DSC09750.jpg

The section of wall will curve around raised ground in which the tree will be planted. As the tree has very dense foliage, and because there are some free-roaming animals about (chickens, geese) I should think that the ground directly beneath the canopy is bare earth.

716059DSC09751.jpg

I'm going to fix a gate in the gap between the building and the end of the wall. Also, I will be adding some steps up from the 'forecourt' to the raised cobbled area.

457026DSC09754.jpg

So, I will crack on with raising the ground around the tree....

TFL

Badder

P.S. As this thread is extremely long, I've had the idea to subdivide it into chapters, with each chapter detailing a specific subject. I can then provide a list of chapters and their subjects and the pages on which they start, at the very beginning of this thread. Members can then skip directly to those pages which interest them without having to trawl through those that don't!

This will take some time though, so bear with me!

Edited by Badder

WHOOOOOPSIE DAISY!

I have late-onset type 1 diabetes meaning I rely on insulin injections to stay alive. Being 'late-onset' I have not had a lifetime of living with the disease, and have had little time to get used to the regime of recording dietary intake and adjusting insulin levels to suit. I get very tired if my blood sugar is too high, and can pass out and go into a coma if it gets too low. Usually my blood sugar is on the high side and I often fall asleep in the afternoons after a hard day at work.

I can fall asleep in one second flat. Anywhere, any time. I've can even fallen asleep while reaching for a pint of beer over the bar. I've done that. More than once, in fact!

And when I wake up, I have NO idea where I am, or what's happened. And usually I wake with a fright.

So when I fell asleep while working on this diorama today and my wife decided to try and wake me, the outcome was predictable. I woke with a jump, yelped and swore, threw out my arms in that 'falling out of bed' type reaction - and knocked over a pint of water I'd been using to wet the plaster of paris, and which I had placed on the track beside the mill race.

A whole pint, all over the grassy bank, in the mill race and all over the hedgerow! Luckily the glass itself didn't hit anything, so there was no mechanical damage. And luckily a few sheets of kitchen paper soaked up the puddles in the mill race. Everything else was left to air dry and thankfully all is now okay.

You've gotta laugh, haven't you?

LOTS of stonework tomorrow.

TFL

Badder

Badder, you aren't alone in the Late onset Diabetes club. I joined 3 years ago. I know exactly what you're going through. I will wish you the best of luck in treatment and health. 

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Badder, you aren't alone in the Late onset Diabetes club. I joined 3 years ago. I know exactly what you're going through. I will wish you the best of luck in treatment and health. 

Thanks mate, and the same to you. I don't know what your health care system is like over there, but here it's pretty useless. Okay, I get all my diabetes related meds for free, but trying to get an appointment with a doctor is ridiculously difficult! I hope you fair better!

Unfortunately I have the added complication of also having CIDP, another auto-immune disease where my immune system is attacking the protective lining around my nerve endings in my lower limbs (elbows down to fingers and knees down to toes) so I'm in constant pain and suffer agonising shooting pains on top. Luckily the new meds I have for that work quite well most of the time so my pain levels have dropped noticeably.

CIDP does affect my model-making though. I can't do very detailed work with very small parts so easily - although I am going to force myself to try PE on several up-coming projects. I suffer poor and erratic muscle control, drop things quite often, and sometimes 'throw' things in reaction to the sudden pains! :D

I've developed methods to help in that respect though. For instance, I use blu-tac or modelling clay as a 'back-support' when cutting small parts from their sprue, that way they don't 'ping' off across the room, and I can then pick the blu-tac up with the part stuck to it rather than try to pick the part  up on its own. I suspect some of the techniques I've 'invented' are a consequence of trying to make things easier for myself, but can be of benefit to 'healthy' modellers as well!

Anyway, I have to go to work now, but thank you for your support. Best wishes to you.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

Its not easy on the Doctor front here either. Your techniques do help if that matters. Please have a good day.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle