Ever evolvin dio. ft. 'THE INDESTRUCTIBLE TREE' as ft. on youtube.

Badder

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

Fantastic job Badder :worthy:....

Thanks Vince,

Work on the tree will recommence tomorrow. I think I will have to buy a 1000m spool of line to finish off this tree and have enough to do another larger one. Oh, and I'll have to buy up all the Medium CA in my local 'Model Railway' Shop.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

We modellers tend to be hoarders by nature. As are anglers. I am a modeller and an angler. I had thought that I'd used up all of my old fishing line, but I just came across a tuperware box full of old spools and I am pleased to announce that amongst them was a 100m spool of 10lb fishing line. So work will continue today, after  a trip to the supermarket for some more Basil. I think I best buy 4 jars. Just to be sure.

TFL

Badder

• Like 2

Damn.

I just popped into the 'Model Railway' shop to get some Medium CA. Turns out I had bought the last bottle the other day. That's 3 bottles I've purchased over a couple of weeks and I've cleaned them out! Since our actual LHS closed the Model Railway shop is the ONLY place in my town that sells CA. (Other than those places that sell those poxy tubes of actual Superglue)

This is disastrous!

It's no wonder the hobby is declining in popularity when you can't pop to a shop and buy essential materials. Grrrrrrr!

Anyway, he reckons the 'supplier' will be in at the weekend. And I can't wait that long so I'm going to try using Thin CA. I know it sticks Basil to the tree, I'm just wondering if a fishing line 'twig' doused in thin CA will have enough stick to pick up and hold the Basil.

And if it doesn't work... does anyone know if it's possible to 'thicken up' CA????

Cheers,

Badder

• Like 1

With no medium CA available I've resorted to using thin. I've found that by pouring a small amount onto a plastic tray and letting it stand a while, it does thicken enough to meet my needs. The one drawback is that a fair bit of CA is going to waste as the left overs dry very quickly. But progress comes first!

The tree is now half done leaf-wise.

4R3HpRc.jpg

Qn8BFRN.jpg

I've placed the tree in an empty jar so that I can minimize the handling of the tree during it's manufacture, and to keep the tree foliage from resting on a surface.

A collar of modeller's clay around the trunk rests on the jar rim, keeps the tree steady and holds the foliage clear of the jar.

I am going to completely change the trunk though... making it half as thick again, and more 'wild' in appearance.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

One thing I haven't mentioned in any detail, is how I attach the bundles of foliage to the tree... so here's what I do.

I basically take a bundle and poke it 'stem' first into the tree, in several places, to see where best it fits. The end of each 'stem' consists of several lengths of Gardener's Twine and I use these 'loose ends' to anchor the bundle to the real twigs. Where access is restricted I wrap the twine around the twigs with the aid of a pair of tweezers. Once anchored, I douse the anchor point with thin CA and quickly sprinkle Basil over it. I then douse this with more thin CA and add more Basil. I may repeat this several times until a very strong and solid joint is formed. For those areas where access is restricted I apply the CA with a bottle fitted with a long thin nozzle measuring 4cm and with a 0.5mm diameter bore.

Much of this will not be visible, but as the foliage is a bit random in its density I can't predict which joints will be visible, or from which angle, so I treat them all the same.

The technique though, does add to the look of the tree... the Basil appearing to be moss, or lichen.

In the photo below, one such joint appears dead centre of the photo. It's the 'Basily' bit. Inside this Basily bit is the anchor point for the foliage centre top.

EH8bWA3.jpg

The tree is now 2/3rds done.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

Beer calls, so there won't be any progress until tomorrow, (with hopefully a few bottles of medium CA)

Oh, and now that I have an idea of the total shape and size of the tree's canopy I've realised that the trunk is way too narrow and boring, so I am going to have to double it's thickness and add lots and lots of gnarly, mossy, fungi and ivy details.

TFL

Badder

• Like 2

I can't believe I've run out of fishing line. AGAIN! My initial estimates for line and CA have proven to be out by a factor of 3... and heading for 4!

I've some clumps of foliage waiting to be fixed to the tree and that will take it to 4/5ths done. In the photos below, those clumps haven't been added yet.

6ejFnZA.jpg

There are more 'open' areas in the upper canopy, but when it's finished there won't be many, if any, views straight through the tree and out the other side.

Regarding the trunk...which as I said earlier is way too narrow and plain: It would be too difficult to improve it now that the foliage has been added. However, I've come up with an idea which I think will work. I'm going to make a latex cast of the trunk, cut it down the middle and add the details to the two halves. Then, hopefully, I can refit the latex moulds to the trunk.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That's looking very realistic. In fact, I'm sure that I can see a couple of pigeons nesting in there!

John. 

Hi John,

Thanks. The pigeons though are decoy pigeons, put there to draw German pigeons to their doom. The tree is rigged with high explosives.:D

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Ozzy said:

Nice going Badder, hopefully you won't need to push the plunger.

Well, I'm hoping to have the canopy finished tonight and then make a start on the outer 'skin' for the trunk. If all goes well, there'll be no need to blow it up.:D

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

Just now, Major_Error said:

A really wonderful tree!

Some kids have some  "swing wheel" (I don't know the English word for it) that they can play with. It might be just a wheel hanging in a rope.

Could that be cool?

8-)

Hi Major,

Yes, in English we call it 'a tyre swing'. And actually, I was thinking the same thing. I have some spare wheels from a German 6-wheeled armoured car (which I trashed). The problem is of course that the tyres are on their hubs, but I might be able to make a mould of one in latex and turn it inside out. I will give it a go anyway.

But first I have to finish the canopy. I think another hour and all the foliage will be done. Then I will just have to fix it all in place.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Major,

Yes, in English we call it 'a tyre swing'. And actually, I was thinking the same thing. I have some spare wheels from a German 6-wheeled armoured car (which I trashed). The problem is of course that the tyres are on their hubs, but I might be able to make a mould of one in latex and turn it inside out. I will give it a go anyway.

But first I have to finish the canopy. I think another hour and all the foliage will be done. Then I will just have to fix it all in place.

Rearguards,

Badder

In Norway we make  swings with a plank of wood. That can be easier than making a wheel. Any way, a kid will have great fun with only a hanging rope.

8-)

• Like 3

Well. Phew!

I'm calling the tree's foliage 'For the most-part DONE!'

I was thinking I could produce this tree for something around 20 quid max. 

The fishing line alone cost me 25 quid! Allowing for wastage of line while tying and trimming knots I have used 450 metres of the stuff!!!!!!!!

And then there's the Medium and Thin CA. I've used three and a half 20g bottles of thin, and four 40g bottles of medium!!!!

And probably 40g of Satin Varnish.

So, not really a viable business then. Although I think my tree is better than anything you can buy in the shops. But then I would say that wouldn't I?

I spent a while trimming the odd wayward twig and branch, and 'combed' some small areas to get the twigs hanging more naturally.

I will be giving the thing a few sprays with varnishes and washes.

Photos to follow once that is done. 

Look for a change in the Topic Title.

TFL

Badder

• Like 3

Your post 708 with the tree could lead to another dio called Ready and Waiting AKA Spot the Sniper although i suspect you wouldn't be over impressed about having to do the tree again...

Edited by Vince1159

Your post 708 with the tree could lead to another dio called Ready and Waiting AKA Spot the Sniper although i suspect you wouldn't be over impressed about having to do the tree again...

Hi Vince... I did think about having a sniper hiding up this tree.... but no sniper worth his salt would sit up a tree unless he was on a suicide mission, or was Japanese Imperial army, which was pretty much the same.

And actually, I am not put off making another of these trees. The main problem with this one was that I inadvertently made one with much to dense a canopy. A different species, like sycamore, would have a much more open silhouette.

BTW, I just found a great new product.... see below.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi Vince... I did think about having a sniper hiding up this tree.... but no sniper worth his salt would sit up a tree unless he was on a suicide mission, or was Japanese Imperial army, which was pretty much the same.

And actually, I am not put off making another of these trees. The main problem with this one was that I inadvertently made one with much to dense a canopy. A different species, like sycamore, would have a much more open silhouette.

BTW, I just found a great new product.... see below.

Rearguards,

Badder

I was thinking more of a sniper that had dug a nest under the roots of the tree,maybe Eastern Front with lotsa snow....

• Like 1

The tree with satin acrylic varnish coat before 'final' colouring.

After taking this photo I noticed the large 'hole' in the upper canopy. This wasn't this big previously, but widened during handling. I simply pulled the foliage back into place, closing the gap up a bit. This is the great thing about the 'nylon fishing line and gardener's twine method' IT IS FLEXIBLE AND QUITE INDESTRUCTIBLE!

jtdrqdo.jpg

I really like the colour in these outdoor shots and wonder now why I thought the tree needed 'greening up' in the first place.

KSPGyQu.jpg

HOWEVER....

I gave the tree a spray with Chromium Green Weathering Powder. That is, I mixed a tiny scoop of the weathering powder into my airbrush cup which was itself loaded with acrylic satin varnish. While it increased the greenness of the tree nicely, there were a couple of patches which went far too green. (thanks to my stupidity) So, I thought I'd tone those areas back with a sprayed 'wash' of black.

I thought about using my 'Soot Weathering Powder', but then remembered that the other day I purchased a bottle of Daler and Rowney's Acrylic Artists Ink. (Tuts at D&R for missing out the apostrophe in Artists'.) I'd purchased this ink because I also do pen and ink drawings using Rotring Isograph pens with nib diameters down to 0.18mm, but haven't been able to get the correct ink for some time. I'd never seen a waterproof ink before... not for this type of pen.... and I snapped it up realising that I could use the pen now to dot the eyes of my figures!

So I gave it a go in the airbrush.

'WOW!' is all I can say.

Okay, I'll say some more.

What brilliant stuff!

The bottle lid has a built-in pipette, so it was easy to drop one....er... drop, into my airbrush cup. After a short sharp blast to charge the airbrush, I sprayed lightly over my mistakes. It flowed beautifully, and darkened the 'too-green greens' without turning them black. And I liked the effect. So I thought I'd do the entire tree with it. I began one pass, expecting to have to add another drop to the cup. Nope. I did a second pass, expecting the same. Nope. I didn't bother with a third pass. The job was done. But I continued to spray until my 'cup raneth dry'... and still it was spraying black. In fact, it still sprayed black for a further full minute (at low pressure) Good grief that stuff goes a long way!

Now, I've been spraying a tree, but I'm thinking this acrylic ink may be a great addition to the AFV modeller.... (although in green rather than black!)

Anyhoo.... here's the ink and the tree after a spray.

iw4bWl5.jpg

BadAcyV.jpg

I've lost some of the colour variations now, but I'm going to sprinkle on more herbs at some point and bring that back again. Like this though, I can see a few areas that need tidying up. This shouldn't be too difficult... just a bit of snipping and bending here and there.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

Fantastic job although i've got to admit the ink's a surprise....

Thanks Vince,

For me too. I am going to have to experiment with this stuff and see what it can do in different situations. I'm just about to search the forums to see if anyone else has used inks.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

So, the next job. To get that trunk sorted! As I said earlier, I'm going to try making a new 'skin' for the trunk, using latex.

TFL

Badder

• Like 1

Having said that, I've done something else to the foliage! :D I gave the entire tree a spray with dilute PVA and then sprinkled Dil Tops over it. The tree looks more like an evergreen now, but hey.

QEdMoWH.jpg

1zkVafM.jpg

I have since sprinkled Thyme around the bottom of the canopy, hopefully giving the impression of 'stressed' leaves and dead leaves caught in the lower branches.

btw the flowers are scratch as well, but I think they are a bit oversized for use in this dio.

And now on to the trunk!

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

So, the trunk.

The trunk just isn't good enough. It's far too narrow, being the main problem. And, because I've already done the foliage, it would be a bit of a hassle trying to rectify it. All of that handling would lead to damaging the foliage.

Now, during the construction of my GB vignette 'For you little piggy the war is over', I discovered that latex doused in thin CA turns into a rigid plastic-like substance, in the same way that paper does. So I could take a mould from real wood, turn it inside out, douse with CA and wrap it around the original.

Good idea? Well, yes. Except that I wanted a really rough and gnarly trunk, but couldn't find any wood that was suitable. So I made do with a rather plain 'log' as the master.

Here's the latex tube once removed from the log, showing a lack of gnarly detail.

P7nKsK0.jpg

And the latex opened out then pinched and CA'd in places to try to impart a gnarly surface.  This wasn't satisfactory.

9ZYEXPd.jpg

But I could make it gnarly by CA'ing strips of Gardener's Twine to it.....

l4jr1kW.jpg

Time for a test fitting:

ojPNTiH.jpg

The latex tube has a larger internal diameter than the diameter of the trunk, but it can be fixed to the trunk where the lower branches er, branch out, and the space between the latex tube and the trunk can be filled. But before all that, some painting and addition of moss and creepers.....

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5