Ever evolvin dio. ft. 'THE INDESTRUCTIBLE TREE' as ft. on youtube.

Badder

The stonework re-carved. I will be tidying this join up further, but it doesn't have to be perfect absolutely everywhere as moss and hopefully ivy will be hiding a lot of this wall.

bBSTfox.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

Not much progress past few days due to complications brought on by one of my illnesses. Terrible, sudden, all-over itching attacks which have left me scratched raw and unable to sleep. Hmmmph. The only thing that's eased the 'pain' is scalding hot showers which seem to reboot my nervous system. Anyway, visit to docs in an hour or so. Hopefully the itching IS just a new symptom of my illness and not anything underlying and more serious. And hopefully some prescribed medication will 'cure' the itching.

Anyway, I've had concerns about the window surround which I made from plaster and stuck on with CA.  Firstly, it wasn't spot on level with its neighbour, and it was very slightly smaller due to shrinkage. So I've made a new surround, this time from plasticard. I just have to carve the chamfer on the arch and then I can fit it and fill the wall to fit flush.

CkVbVql.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Hope you're feeling better soon Badder...

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice work Badder, hope it all went ok at the doc's?

Thanks guys,

Doc thinks it could be caused by either or both of my conditions and ranging from lesser to more serious. But hey ho..... on with the dio lol.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 3

The new brick window surround in place and ready for further painting.

OeK47xF.jpg

Wood roof trim, doorway and window surrounds with a coat of blue which has been rubbed back here and there to expose the brick colour. A bit of weathering yet to be done on these newly painted areas.

v2V3o6k.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

And here's a shot taken after the walls windows and doors were given a dusting of plaster of paris powder. I always rub this on quite hard with a very stiff brush. It not only gets into the nooks and crannies, but it also acts as an abrasive and helps to 'wear down' the surfaces (to a lesser or greater extent) exposing shades and colours underneath.

avyLE9s.jpg

Next, another coat of gloss varnish and some washes/pin washes.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

Rapid progress on the weathering of the building today. The walls/doors/window apertures received a coat of gloss varnish and this was followed by washes and pin washes using enamel thinners and dark earth weathering powder, and very dilute black enamel here and there. I then gave the building another dusting with plaster powder and scrubbed that in hard with a stiff brush.  Next, I added a lot of moss to the walls using green Japanese grit paint, thicker at the base of the walls, and growing less dense higher up.

I also gave the roof tiles a going over with Tamiya Rust 'weathering master' to bring back a little bit of the 'terracotta' colouring which has been lost over time.

And finally, I used the same pigment to pick out a bit of exposed brickwork around the windows and doors. 

The next job will be to add 'ivy' to the walls, using tea leaves. This will be an 'under layer' for hopefully more realistic ivy at a later date.

Pics will follow once the better half has brought the camera back from its walk.

TFL

Badder

• Like 2

The front steps: (In case you couldn't guess)

JOZ6iO8.jpg

One end of the building. As you can see, I've not painted the new window surround yet.

FRPlWSl.jpg

Close-up of the doorway and window:

E3YX5Rw.jpg

Once again, the moss is a lot greener than it appears here.

UjBjjep.jpg

TFL Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Looks fantastic, I will be using some of your herbal tips on my build eventually.

Thanks Ozzy.

I keep having a look around for seeds/herbs/spices etc, looking for something that's the right scale for 1/35th ivy. The 'seed dividers' from Silver Birch catkins are the right shape, but most are much too big for realistic ivy.

But you can't beat Chervil, Basil, Dil etc for 'ground cover' or 'wall veg'.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

I've taken the plunge and have fitted the two front windows, one side window, and the hatch under the steps.

The windows had to be fed through the rear of the building (which is why I haven't yet fixed the rear wall) and were pushed into place manually. With each window abutting the joint between inner and outer wall, they were then fixed from the rear with blobs of medium CA applied with a long coffee stirring stick.

qsZgPfI.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

When do we move in?

It might look idyllic, but I wouldn't wanna live there. Potty under the bed, or a dangerous trip down the steps to an outside loo. And don't forget all the bloomin' tanks and whatnot driving up and down the track outside....first the retreating Expeditionary Forces, then the Germans, then a few years later the Brits.

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

It might look idyllic, but I wouldn't wanna live there. Potty under the bed, or a dangerous trip down the steps to an outside loo. And don't forget all the bloomin' tanks and whatnot driving up and down the track outside....first the retreating Expeditionary Forces, then the Germans, then a few years later the Brits.

Badder

Sounds like an AFV spotters dream, not sure how the wife would get on with an outside loo.

• Like 1

Door handles added to the front door and 'barn door'. I've dirtied and worn the woodwork around the handle of the latter.

At this late stage, I'm only now wondering how the 'barn doors' are opened and closed and locked! Logic would suggest that the main doors open outwards so that there's more storage space inside. In that case, all of the bolts must be inside and the doors must be unbolted and pushed open from within. (this explains the lack of a handle on the left hand 'door') The smaller 'wicket' door definitely opens outwards and presumably must have a key/lock to give access to the building from outside. So I need to add a keyhole and scratch-plate to the wicket door. 

And I will have to add a bolt to the hatch under the steps.

HL39RCY.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 8

Looking good, in regards to the over size doors I've got a miniart door in my spare box and it fits the gap for the front door. There must be giants on the continent.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Looking good, in regards to the over size doors I've got a miniart door in my spare box and it fits the gap for the front door. There must be giants on the continent.

:yes: I agree! The MiniArt doors are stupidly tall. Unfortunately every MiniArt building I've seen uses the same doors.

When I made the first building I lowered the height of the doorway. Of course, I couldn't cut the kit door to fit (it wouldn't look right) and decided not to scratch a new door.....but as it was a ruined building, that didn't matter. I could do without.

With this second building, lowering the height of the doorway/door would have meant having to cut away the plastic 'arch', drop it down a couple of 'feet', fill the space with plaster and carve new stonework above the new 'arch'.... and I'd have had to scratch build a new door to fit. This was something I wasn't happy to do. So, a doorway for giants it is.

But then again, maybe the farmer wears tall hats, or his wife has a Marjorie Simpson hair-do? :D

Badder

Edited by Badder

1 hour ago, Badder said:

:yes: I agree! The MiniArt doors are stupidly tall. Unfortunately every MiniArt building I've seen uses the same doors.

When I made the first building I lowered the height of the doorway. Of course, I couldn't cut the kit door to fit (it wouldn't look right) and decided not to scratch a new door.....but as it was a ruined building, that didn't matter. I could do without.

With this second building, lowering the height of the doorway/door would have meant having to cut away the plastic 'arch', drop it down a couple of 'feet', fill the space with plaster and carve new stonework above the new 'arch'.... and I'd have had to scratch build a new door to fit. This was something I wasn't happy to do. So, a doorway for giants it is.

But then again, maybe the farmer wears tall hats, or his wife has a Marjorie Simpson hair-do? :D

Badder

Ive built a few building from miniart the windows aren't to bad, it's a though somebody miss measured the doors. The Germans:fuhrer: would get a surprise if the farmers wife did have a Marjorie Simpson hair-do. :o

• Like 1

More weathering on the building, Just some very subtle washes, but they all build up.

1yHNTIk.jpg

QYD9zh9.jpg

I've painted the guttering and drainpipe, using Humbrol Dark Iron as the undercoat, blue over the top which was then scrubbed back, a dabbing with dilute dark earth weathering powder and rust.

I21hdOA.jpg

Earlier I stated that the 'wicket' door would get a scratch plate and a lock. But then I thought what idiot would bother putting a scratch plate on a 'barn' door? So, I just drilled a small hole and dry brushed the rim a brassy colour to make a keyhole. I've also added a tiny bit of rust to some of the hinges.

Pk2sOuO.jpg

TFL

Badder... who's just added a Tamiya 1/35th King Tiger (production turret) to his stash.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4