"Yellow wings", 1.72, Matchbox, Hasegawa, last Plane added 20.11.16

Hi Mates,

today i would like to show some of my recent builds. You have seen the "big builds" of this series before:

The early B-17 B:

www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235003937-early-b-17b-academy-172#comment-2386108

DSC04011_zps98njhvdu.jpg

The early Catalina:

www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235002009-an-early-cat-by-academy-172/#comment-2349281

DSC03953_zpsguwbueoj.jpg

Now let`s have a look on the smaler Birds with yellow wings. Let`s start with a Matchbox Helldiver, which represent the Air Group Comanders Aircraft on Board the USS Enterprise in 1940.As allways strait out of the Box, Paint, done by Brush, from Agama.

DSC02667_zpsjcywgebi.jpg

DSC02668_zpsnedjinhh.jpg

There will be a Boing P12, Wildcat, and Buffalo follow. So stay tuned.

Best regards

Stefan

Edited by A6Intruder
New plane added
  • Like 36

Hello Stefan;

Yellow wings aircraft have always been my favourites.

But I had some questions about your SBC Helldiver:

I think (but am not 100% sure) that the blue chevron should be

on the upper wing, instead of the fuselage; and the cowling could be painted

either the upper half, or the lower half, or the whole cowling for the leader, but I never have seen both

sides of it.

I also think, if you allow me, that the coloured bands on the propeller tips are a bit to broad.

But a good job. I also do like your early Flying Fortress and Catalina very much.

Cheers and have a good Sunday. Polo.

:goodjob:

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, polo1112 said:

Hello Stefan;

Yellow wings aircraft have always been my favourites.

But I had some questions about your SBC Helldiver:

I think (but am not 100% sure) that the blue chevron should be

on the upper wing, instead of the fuselage; and the cowling could be painted

either the upper half, or the lower half, or the whole cowling for the leader, but I never have seen both

sides of it.

Cheers and have a good Sunday. Polo.

Hi Polo,

i do not really know. I did it from the Box and did not research if it`s is 100% correct..

Thanks for linking.

Best regards

Stefan

The Agama paint is lovely. I wish it was more widely available; the postage costs from Jadar to eg where I am, make only extremely bulk purchases viable.

You've done a lovely job.

You could probably still soak the blue chevron off the fuselage and re-apply to the wing?

This link has some nice yellow wing pics:

https://laststandonzombieisland.com/tag/sbc-helldiver/

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

Hi guies,

thanks for your kind postings, even for your helping hand to correct the mistakes of the SBC. There will be a new one from Heller with several addons from Starfighter decals soon. So stay tuned i will show you  when it`s done.

Now lets have a look on an early Wildcat. The Kit is from Hasegawa and quite superb. To fit an early F4F3 you have to use Quickboost`s non foldable wings. I also used again Starfighter Decals to fit this plane as a plane of the VF-72, now at the National Naval Aviarion Museum. Paint, as allways Agama and done by brush.

Hope you like her.

Best Regards

Stefan

PS: For screwcounters: The Prop does not have any Prop-Markings and late Prop-Tips in Yellow not three colour as early style.

DSC04050_zpstdjxnuzj.jpg

DSC04051_zpsfr2oomow.jpg

DSC04052_zpszyktajun.jpg

• Like 6

A great Wildcat.

I do agree with the markings this time.

But I think that the number 7 was only on the upper side of the wings (not on the lower ones).

Whatsoever you built a beautiful and colourful model.

Congratulations. Polo.:clap2:

• Like 1

On 7.11.2016 at 9:41 PM, polo1112 said:

A great Wildcat.

I do agree with the markings this time.

Congratulations. Polo.:clap2:

Hi Polo,

i did some research about the Helldiver. The Colours and the Chevron seems to be right!! Starfighter decals had on older sheet with this plane on:

02_zpsol45apim.jpg

only the blue chevron on top wing is missing! Have a look at the blue part of the  Motor-Crowling.

Find here a picture of the Original plane:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Curtiss_SBC-4_of_the_USS_Enterprise_(CV-6)_Air_Group_Commander_c1940.jpg

Best regards

Stefan

• Like 2

OK!

When I see the photos I can only agree with you A6Intruder.

But I have to say that I am very surprised to see such curious and

non official markings.

I always thought that the US NAVY has always been ruled by very serious laws

about markings, but I must admit that is wasn't always so.

I do apologise about having criticised your model; you were right.

Sorry. Polo.:wub::(

• Like 1

There are still two planes missing. Today i will bring you the Boig P-12 from good old Matchbox, the decals, once more from Starfighter decals. I removed the Bombs, comming with the Kit. In my Eyes they do not look right to me. I replaced them with other ones, honestly they are a little bit to big for this little Fighter.

Have a Look:

Best regards

Stefan

DSC02689_zpsxynme1jt.jpg

DSC02691_zpshifd7nns.jpg

DSC02690_zpsidwajbue.jpg

• Like 5

Brilliant series of yellow winged aircraft!

Congrats!

A couple of points nonetheless:

I do not believe the Wildcat would have had chevrons painted on the underwing. Only the wing top ever carried such markings.

As far as the Heldiver is concerned, there should be something on the top wing. Before wing chevrons were introduced, there used to be full color triangles centered on the mid-wing, which is what Starfighter decals' sheet is showing. I can't comment whether there should be a chevron or a full triangle, but there has to be something.

At the end of the day, I am nitpicking, as I am a yellow wings' fan and I really enjoy looking at your models!

Well done!

JR

• Like 1