StuG III ausf.G

Badder

Sturmgeschutz III ausf. G.           

1/35th Dragon Imperial Series.

My first (successful) 'Down and dirty' AFV, with heavily weathered winter camo, wear and tear, and a little bit of battle damage.

A loyal fan of Tamiya  between 1975-1980 and sticking with them upon my return to modelling just over a year ago, I have been made aware of the rise in popularity of Dragon kits. So whilst visiting my LHS, I was tempted to give Dragon's 'Imperial Series' StuG III a go. I wasn't to know that the kit had been sitting on the shelf for 21 years and wasn't a patch on Tamiya. Perhaps I should have guessed. The shelf was so high it took a step ladder to reach.  Never mind, I thought, it can't be THAT bad.

Well, it wasn't GOOD. The kit had many fit issues, badly designed moulds, parts with locating pins that didn't align with the locating holes in adjacent parts, one part that was clearly designed with an angle in it when it should have been straight, drive wheels where the teeth on one 'rim' are spaced very slightly differently to those on the other 'rim' so that the teeth go out of synch and the tracks end up at a slant' and the same issue with the spokes on the idler wheels, an unhelpful and vague instruction sheet, and sprues which quite frankly confused the hell out of me, with 3 'B' sprues (Two identical, but the third different!) and several sprues which had TWO letter designations! Another annoying feature or should I say non-feature, was the lack of any figures.

Still, there was no problem that I couldn't overcome, even with my limited skills. I even managed to  the upgrade the 'debris screens' on the rear air intakes, cutting out the solid 'grills', retaining the frames and fitting sections of gauze obtained from a local Haberdashers.

Apart from the debris screens, the StuG is OOB and painted using Tamiya Acrylics, Humbrol Enamels,  Humbrol Weathering Powders, and Winsor and Newton's water mixable Titanium White Oil Paint. Gloss and matt varnishes were also from Winsor and Newton.  Snow effect achieved with my Japanese 'Grit Paint' White. Exposed metal effect/burnishing achieved with a graphite stick.

For WIP, here's the link:

This StuG will feature in a diorama which will be based loosely on a Francois Verlinden diorama that I saw in a Tamiya catalogue some 35 or more years ago. Only mine will be set in winter, not summer, in the Ardennnes during the Battle of the Bulge.

Meanwhile, I have just commenced building Tamiya's StuG IV Sd.Kfz.163, which already looks to be faultless.

Anyhoo, here's the pics. 

247641DSC06817.jpg

280635DSC06818.jpg

805939DSC06819.jpg

860483DSC06820.jpg

Below: Top and bottom halves not fixed, hence gap in front armour plate. (I will need access to fix a figure inside, just visible through the open hatch)

382034DSC06821.jpg

147202DSC06822.jpg

667999DSC06824.jpg

Yep, forgot to matt the spare wheels and I can see MG needs tidying up. Thanks Macro.

295042DSC06825.jpg

743741DSC06826.jpg

680870DSC06827.jpg

Cat hair on spare wheel replicated using real cat hair.

561401DSC06828.jpg

TFL

All comments, positive or negative, welcomed.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 16

Hi badder 

Turned out nice 

Like the paintwork looks really grubby and well used.

You;ve got the lower hull weathering spot on not too much.

Look forward to seeing the next stage

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1

So tell us, it was a pretty old kit, and full of imperfections, but despite everything you've got a very interesting model, which will look great in the diorama that you plan to put it no doubt.:cold:

I also have a Stug IV (Italeri) in the closet waiting ...:goodjob:

Cheers Badder :)

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, KAYELL said:

Hi badder 

Turned out nice 

Like the paintwork looks really grubby and well used.

You;ve got the lower hull weathering spot on not too much.

Look forward to seeing the next stage

Cheers

Keith

Thanks Keith, I'm debating whether to start on the StuG IV or do the the dio for this one. Great job on yours btw.

Badder

43 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

So tell us, it was a pretty old kit, and full of imperfections, but despite everything you've got a very interesting model, which will look great in the diorama that you plan to put it no doubt.:cold:

I also have a Stug IV (Italeri) in the closet waiting ...:goodjob:

Cheers Badder :)

Thanks Francis. I look forward to seeing your Stug IV.... seems like StuGs are taking over the forum!

Rearguards,

Badder

20 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Lovely job Badder,can't wait to follow the dio WIP mate...

Thanks Vince.

The dio WIP is up and running though I'm going to spend a lot more time planning it out than I usually do. You'll probably remember that my dios up until now tend to 'evolve' a fair bit during the build. This time I want to sort out even the smallest details before getting stuck in!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

That's a lovely looking Stug fella, I particularly like the snow mushed up in the tracks and running gear. Very nice.

Oh and that Tamiya Stug IV is a lovely kit, built it many moons ago and IIRC it went together like a dream, enjoy!

• Like 1

That is definitely some of the most impressive winter weathering I have seen! I am really looking forward to following the progress of the base you make for this.

Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Oddball said:

That's a lovely looking Stug fella, I particularly like the snow mushed up in the tracks and running gear. Very nice.

Oh and that Tamiya Stug IV is a lovely kit, built it many moons ago and IIRC it went together like a dream, enjoy!

Thanks Oddball.

I was a bit nervous about adding the snow... I didn't want it to look like icing on a cake, and I was worried about covering up the details of the suspension, running gear, and the tracks etc, but real snow does do that so there was no escaping it. The StuG looks odd when sat on a shelf, but by sitting it on white paper it's definitely made the snow look better, so my worries have subsided  

I confess I have dry-fitted the upper and lower hulls, rear fenders and rear plate of the StuG IV, and yes the fit is perfect, unlike this StuG. It's interesting to see the differences between the two marks. With it's superstructure towards the front of the chassis, the III looks a lot more menacing, while the IV looks 'stand offish' or 'timid' even!:lol:

Cheers again, 

Badder

17 hours ago, Carius said:

:goodjob:

Nice weathering indeed.

Thank you Carius. We'll see how I get on with a SAS Jeep and LRDG Chevrolet! ;)

Badder

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That is definitely some of the most impressive winter weathering I have seen! I am really looking forward to following the progress of the base you make for this.

Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Stix, you flatter me yet again! Stop that bowing man! My whitewash isn't white enough really, but as I said somewhere else, I'm too chicken to do a 'fresher' winter camo! One day, one day.

As for the diorama for the StuG, I decided that 12x12 inches isn't big enough, so I've just bought an  lol.20x16. I should be able to get a sizeable ruined building , the StuG, and maybe a smaller vehicle or two, and a fair bit of shrubbery. We like a shrubbery. It should be a long project!

Rearguards,

Badder.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

Hi Badder, think the end result was deffo worth your torments with the bad parts, looks fantastic and love the weathering and snow on tracks.

Cheers Dave.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DWC1968 said:

Hi Badder, think the end result was deffo worth your torments with the bad parts, looks fantastic and love the weathering and snow on tracks.

Cheers Dave.

Thanks Dave,

Again, I am surprised how well my 'winter camo' is being received.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Don't know about the building you could probably get a small village on there lol...

Vince,:P I don't think I could ever do one of those 'an entire village on a table-top' dioramas. I know I'd get disheartened with any mistakes and want to start the whole thing all over again! And even if I did spend a few years building it, what the heck would I do with it after?

Nah, 20 inches is more than enough for me. Ooh er.

Badder.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice build Badder, fantastic weathering.

Thanks Ozzy. 

I just realised that the StuG IV has 4 more wheels (2 per side) than the StuG III, so that'll be something to look forward to. Not! :confused:

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Superb,love the paint and weathering.

Cheers Steve.

I will be adding stowage and whatnot, but not until I've got it in the diorama setting.

Rearguards,

Badder

• 3 weeks later...