Is EZLine normally a bit inconsistent?

Beardie

Hi all,

Just recently (almost) finished only my second build using EZLine and I found that there was a lot of variance in the line getting thinner and thicker. Is this normal for EZLine or do I have a bad reel?

I am still not sure I am enamoured with the stuff as I think that the old monofil, while requiring a trickier approach to it's use, adds a lot more structural strength to the finished model. I dropped the aforementioned model onto a thick carpet from perhaps two feet tonight while decalling it and it burst into pieces including numerous of the rigging lines snapping and I can't help but think that the models' survival chances might have been somewhat better had it been rigged with monofil.

I'd love to hear others opinions on EZLine versus monofil.

Yes, that is a characteristic of EZ line.  It also has a flat profile, and this is more noticeable with the larger diameter product.  It isn't readily apparent, but if you attach a section of line with a twist in it, it will show up.

regards,

Jack

I have noticed an amount of variation in the width of ez line and that it is flat, and because of that I thought I would try the  .003mm Rigging Bobbin Fine Uschi van der Rosten

I have not got on with it at all. I have found to have so much static that it sticks to my steel tweezers and will not go through the drilled holes in my model.  It is a good consistent size but really sticky. 

The ez line variance does disappear a bit when stretched so I will go back to it.  

EZ line is inconsistent. Plus it tends to fray after fixing if there are some threads which have not caught or caught very well by SuperGlue.

Ladies knicker elastic thread is good. Now called .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prym-Elastic-Sewing-Thread-White/dp/B0027IXZSC/ref=pd_sim_201_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z7A280FXTZ4BKB9Y24FZ

This comes in .5 and .75 mm. When stretched it is naturally a bit less. Tends to fray if you are not careful. Needs a good sharp cut and to prime it with a bit of supeglue before fixing into position.

Also a nylon type elastic thread used for beading necklace etc. Does not fray but a bit more tricky I have found to superglue. Best I found is to prime the end with accelerator and spot superglue the point to be glued to or vice versa.

Precious stuff though and expensive at .78 pence with free delivery. Plus very stingy you only get 20 meters. Comes in all sizes up to 1mm. advert below does not show all sizes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prym-Elastic-Sewing-Thread-White/dp/B0027IXZSC/ref=pd_sim_201_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z7A280FXTZ4BKB9Y24FZ

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 1

I have ordered a set of six reels of the Crysta Line elastic beading thread (One in each size from 0.4mm to 1mm) for the princely sum of £4.75 including shipping. I already have the Prym stuff but I think it is a little too obvious when installed. I used it to rig a Sopwith Triplane and it does well as RAF aerofoil wire.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Gamakatsu monofilament fishing line. It has some elasticity to it and is .06mm thick. Not sure of the scale you build in but this is perfect for 1:72

....I just tried to find a link and can't find it anywhere, but if you Google .002" fishing line you will find some options.

Ian

I think .06mm is a little too thin. I am working solely in 1/32 scale. I did buy some of the Crysta Line that someone mentioned but it is too thick with the minimum size being 0.5mm. Ideally I am looking for something around 0.2-0.3mm with a round profile, a reasonable amount of elasticity and preferably a grey colour. The reason for the size specifications is that I am making turnbuckles from 0.4mm aluminium tube and so want the diameter of the line to be a close match to the thickness of the turnbuckles.