Boeing F4B-4 (Monogram 1/72)

I participated in an old kit group build with some of my mates, the idea being we should each build a kit that was released when we were kids - The older you were the older the kit should be. I selected about four from around 1967-69 and invited my mates to choose for me. They unanimously chose Monogram's 1/72 Boeing F4B-4 released in 1968 when I was 8 years old.

My moulding  was showing its age, with flash, slightly misaligned tooling, and warped interplane struts. However, the basic kit is quite nice, albeit lacking any cockpit detail. I fixed this problem using a resin cockpit set by Starfighter, which is ok for what is ultimately visible. I also used some quite good decals by the same company.

I chose to refine several kit parts a such as bracing struts, windscreen and guns. I also opened up hand-holds in the wing tips, added a fuel filler neck and cap to the long-range tank, replaced the arrestor hook,  and displaced the tail control surfaces.

I originally planned to rig with invisible mending thread, but instead ended up using ceramic wire for the first time. This spring tensile product proved very easy to position using a blind hole at one end and an open one at the other. The hardest part was getting the length right using trial and error.

Sorry for the sickly green background, it's all I had to hand...

a_zpst3wdgo4y.jpg

b_zpsysrtylwe.jpg

c_zpstdt8bkjd.jpg

d_zpsxpu6x2wk.jpg

e_zpstgi7fov0.jpg

f_zpszd5wjxvq.jpg

g_zps77qlebuu.jpg

The accompanying link to a slideshow of images tells the story of what I did with the kit:

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/kiwikitbasher/slideshow/F4B-4

or use this link to my work in progress account:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235011598-boeing-f4b4-monogram-172/

Edited by Kiwikitbasher
Add link to other post
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned before, be careful with old kits.

The result is stunning.

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands.

That really looks very nice indeed. Lovely paint and rigging work :thumbsup2: .

I had wondered if the Starfighter sets were good; I've been considering getting their improvement set for a very old Revell  1/72 Boeing Peashooter I have.

Looking at this, the nice decals and WIP, it looks like they're good products (in the right hands, unlike my useless mitts :D! )

:goodjob: 

All the best

TonyT

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

That really looks very nice indeed. Lovely paint and rigging work :thumbsup2: .

I had wondered if the Starfighter sets were good; I've been considering getting their improvement set for a very old Revell  1/72 Boeing Peashooter I have.

Looking at this, the nice decals and WIP, it looks like they're good products (in the right hands, unlike my useless mitts :D! )

:goodjob: 

All the best

TonyT

Thanks Tony,

Starfighter's resin sets are OK, more cottage industry standard than mainstream production like Eduard, CMK or Aires for example. They improve the kits they are intended for as most have next to nothing to begin with. Their decals are very good (printed by Cartograf), although the instructions with most are minimalist but adequate. Possibly a little expensive for what they are, but they are often the only game in town.

• 1 year later...

Impressive.  Nice subject.  I had to read through your build as I found one in my stash in the blue Monogram box. Inside was the kit( fits nicely!)   ......... all built and partially painted and a set of Starfighter decals. I must have planned to complete the model with the new decals as those in the box are still there but a bit curled and yellow. I'll try to complete it some when but will leave the rigging or at least apply a bit of it.

• Thanks 1