Transit through the Ice. 1/72 Type IXC

My first diorama... after 10 months, I am calling this done. Lol, starting to wonder if they are ever really done. This is my interpretation of U-505 transiting from Kiel to Lorient in January of 1942. Question or criticism welcome. IMG_5149_zpshhctyada.jpgIMG_5150_zpswxl5h9qe.jpgIMG_5147_zpsqzoig5um.jpgIMG_5148_zps9sfpvlue.jpgIMG_5146_zpsbuuqj1eh.jpgIMG_5145_zpshdzzah41.jpg

• Like 47

Hello Cool,

Your diorama looks amazing.

How did you make the ice on the cables!

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Hello Cool,

Your diorama looks amazing.

How did you make the ice on the cables!

Regards,

Dirk

The Netherlands.

The icicles were created using a clear silicon caulk and a toothpick. Just apply a small amount on the tip of the toothpick and dab it on the line, then pull down. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cellarfrog said:

really nice! excellent effects.

What speed did you estimate it would be travelling through the ice?

1/72 Type IXC U-505. "Transit through the Ice". In Jan. 42, U-505 left the 4th Unterseebootsflottille (training) in Kiel headed to the 2nd Unterseebootsflottille in Lorient, France. Kptlt. Loewe stands on the bridge alone taking one last look at the sun as the sub is about to clear the ice and make preparations to dive. This is my interpretation of what that day may have been like.

Lol, I forgot to post the story behind this build. As I envisioned her about to leave the ice, accelerating, and dive ... I figure around 8 knts at this moment. 

Edited by CoolHand11