A.30 Challenger.

Just to show that I build in other scales besides 1/35th, I built this a couple of years ago. There is no kit of a Challenger in 1/48th scale so I had to use a combination of  two Tamiya Cromwells and good old fashioned scratch building. I used the rear deck from the Cromwell along with the rear hull and track guards, an the complete lower hull and turret were scratch built. The one thing that was a problem was the tracks, they don't exist in 1/48th. So is had to be a compromise. The nearest to the Challenger's track were the ones from the now defunct Fighting 48th for their Comet. Challenger used 15.5 inch tracks whilst Comet's were 18 inch, so they were reduced with a few swipes of a large file.

I have to say that this as one of the most enjoyable builds that I have ever done.

Regards,

John.

a913d28d-d0ec-401e-b195-b3e75d7ac64a.jpga203ba62-b123-477f-aeab-f68f7868e9b7.jpgde35e31e-c5b9-434b-a2be-cdb8c27e4568.jpgead3d582-a6ea-42a9-a7f5-47ff7780d3d5.JPGdce783ff-2ea2-42af-a595-77c2db7172d8.JPGbd9bf82e-e1dd-4808-9661-440b8cd8231d.JPG70e0b855-f8d2-4fc2-9e76-c38e93357f58.JPG

• Like 30

1 hour ago, Carius said:

Excellent scratch build and finish.

Cheers mate.

1 hour ago, Billydick said:

Amazing.  Not familiar with this vehicle at all  You've done a tremendous job of the conversion  :goodjob:

BillyD

46 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Looks good. A British equivalent of the KV2?

Pete

Thanks for all the comments. Yes, it is a bit like a KV2, only faster and with a bigger punch. I think they were built as an insurance against there not being enough Fireflys available, but in the end, this didn't prove to be the case, so relatively few were built. The CIAB received a few as did the Polish. I think the 11th Armoured Brigade got the rest (but don't quote me).

John.

• Like 2

Would like to see this in 1/35th some day. Big fan of british armour since getting back into modelling. Looks very tall but actually lower in profile than a firefly!

:goodjob:    Davey

22 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Would like to see this in 1/35th some day. Big fan of british armour since getting back into modelling. Looks very tall but actually lower in profile than a firefly!

:goodjob:    Davey

Thanks Davey. Actually, it is available in 1/35th from the Czech manufacturer, SKP, but it's a bit like he Parson's egg.... good in places. SKP do two types of track for it, clickable and "workable". From what I've read, the former are delicate and break easily and form experience, the latter are a right royal PITA!. The fit of the kit parts leave a lot to be desired also. All that said, I've seen some nice models where people have put some work into it.

John.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hamden said:

That is stunning workmanship and looks so much better than what's left of an original at Bovington!

Roger

Thanks Roger. The one at Overloon isn't much better. It's got Chieftain stowage bins.

John.

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Thanks Davey. Actually, it is available in 1/35th from the Czech manufacturer, SKP, but it's a bit like he Parson's egg.... good in places. SKP do two types of track for it, clickable and "workable". From what I've read, the former are delicate and break easily and form experience, the latter are a right royal PITA!. The fit of the kit parts leave a lot to be desired also. All that said, I've seen some nice models where people have put some work into it.

John.

Shows you how much research I do into model availability! Had a look on their website and fancy getting one, but you know someone else will bring one out if I do! ( didn't ever think you'd get a Tetrarch in commercial plastic kit form! How about it Bronco?).

Once again, a cracking model mate.

Davey.

21 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Shows you how much research I do into model availability! Had a look on their website and fancy getting one, but you know someone else will bring one out if I do! ( didn't ever think you'd get a Tetrarch in commercial plastic kit form! How about it Bronco?).

Once again, a cracking model mate.

Davey.

Yes, it's called Sod's Law. It's happened to me a few times. Many years ago, I scratch built a Merlin engine to fit in the Airfix Spitfre Mk.1 in 1/72nd scale, only for John Adams to produce one in white metal soon after. Hey Ho!

John.

Brilliant conversion and great looking finished model. I've been eyeing up the SKP model for a little while but the poor reviews of the kit quality have put me off. Although apparently they've rejigged the kit about a year or so ago and the fit is a lot better. I too am hoping for bronco to bring out one too.

lovely work on yours though.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments. I've got the SKP kit and yes, I've read the poor reviews, but (excuse the pun), it's a challenge. Most of the problems can be sorted out with a bit of scratch building and with any luck, the lousy tracks should soon be overcome. IMA have been persuaded to reissue their 15.5" tracks.

John.