Fujimi 1/16 Ferrari F40 lm

shood23

Hello chaps. 

I've been getting a little bored recently as my work area is a little too cold to airbrush in at the moment and my other half is a little reluctant to let the paints dry in the main part of the house, so I have decided to start a big project that needs alot of work and it was a toss up between this and a big revell ferrari f2002, obviously the f40 won. 

Right so a little into this kit and what makes it a big project. I bought this started from eBay about 6 months ago but when I got it alot more was made up than I previously thought and it was in a much worse condition than I thought but for a tenner I wasn't going to complain. 

Right so starting off the box 

20161105_162244_zpspspfjuq5.jpg

A quick size up compared to a 1/24 car I'm building 

20161105_162440_zpswtxvmjnc.jpg

So the now not so good bits. The body was broken on the windscreen pillar but it was a clean snap so pretty easy to fix and even though it may not look it it is sitting flush with only a little bump on the join where the glue has seeped out 

20161105_162310_zpsrmihttpo.jpg

The other side wasn't great and much harder to fix as I had to bend it back into shape with out distorting it further or breaking it 

20161105_162337_zpsriennhmg.jpg

The worst damage though was at the rear of the main body shell as it is a really small connection point but supports alot of load. I have had to drill into the window frame and put a small metal rod in then do the same on the side pod part and just to try and reinforce the join I have used 2 part putty (which needs to be sanded down smooth)

20161105_162332_zpswuu04dcd.jpg

There were also cracks on both front wheel arches that needed attention 

20161105_162326_zpswlkvjxrf.jpg

And finally on the body fixes I have used the left over putty to add strength to areas that may be weak 

20161105_162615_zps1pqx4igu.jpg

20161105_162609_zpsswro2cd5.jpg

So now on to some model making. I stuck on the rear wing supports 

20161105_162517_zpsjwci1qwt.jpg

I made sure to put the main plane of the rear wing in to get the distance between the supports right 

20161105_162555_zpsmmfmaula.jpg

I then started to tackle the engine which was almost finished, that wasn't a problem the problem was it was painted in a horrible silver with a brush quite badly. So I sat it in some ipa and got the silver off then wasn't happy with some of the glue marks and badly fitted bits so used tge freezer trick to try and bust the glue, didn't end well as half popped off whereas the other half stayed put kind of destroying some of the attachment bits but I just primed it and sprayed it first with alclad steel (too dark) then alclad white aluminium. Some bits still look a little rough but mainly only in areas that are going to be covered up 

20161105_162353_zps30rrznsh.jpg

This is the top half of the block before painting but I have tried fixing most of the glue blobs 

20161105_162405_zpsp62nyawo.jpg

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 1

Looks like you have got you work cut out reworking the bits already done.

Its a decent sized kit looking at the comparison photo.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks madmonk it is a pretty big kit with a good amount of detail. 

So a little bit of progress on this recently 

I have fixed most of the cracks and bent parts with glue and fillers. 

20161109_124444_zpsqnancbqi.jpg

After this I got thinking about how to give the main shell of the body more rigidity as it was pretty flimsy which is what I think aided in the amount of damage there was when I started. Firstly I put the epoxy filler I didn't use up when fixing the rear window frame to give the weak points more material bulk then my second thought was just to add the rear side windows in as like in the tamiya car you have to paint parts of it so I have cut the middle man out and will just paint the whole thing body colour. This really helped stop the body being so wayward and straightened up the whole roof line. 

20161109_124429_zpsauld7kqz.jpg

So now I've got the body more or less sorted I started on the floor pan but the big problem is the instructions tell you to do one thing but from most of the real cars they seem to have something totally different. My plan is to follow a great reference source from a group of guys who restored one of these cars, here's the page

http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads/ferrari-f40-lm-restoration/

There are 5 or more parts with some really great detail pictures, I haven't even finished reading the whole way through yet but I like the look they have archived with there's. So here is my floor pan now. 

20161109_124536_zpst0zcok7t.jpg

And one with the engine in mainly to show the different shades of metal colours used 

20161109_124627_zpsy0faeqrj.jpg

Then I moved on to the interior which is the standard f40 interior parts so need slight modifications made, first off is the passenger seat locating tab needs to go, turns out that even though this is a bigger scale my normal method wouldn't work so I had to grind off most of it with a rotary bit which as I wouldn't normally do it that was caused more damage than I expected, out with the filler again, it just needs sanding down and I can add the other bits that are needed before painting 

20161109_124648_zpsrcfkaqti.jpg

Finally I made a start to the fuel cells, there are 2 of them one for each side for weight distribution I guess. All I have done so fat is glued the parts together, filed the joins and filled the small gaps but I do plan on making a few mods to this to make it look proper 

20161109_124504_zpsyctadsn9.jpg

More soon 

Shaun 

Thanks Dr. Fiat. 

On with the car now, I got a little impatient and wanted to check my filling so put a little primer on one side and sanded back the bad spots. The primer did bring out a very faint raised line that I didn't see when it was red. Don't worry about the lighter red parts on the windscreen pillar, they are just the lasting reminder of what damage was there 

20161111_134602_zpsfnonwq6q.jpg

I know not much is visible in this picture but this is the interior tub now painted up in semi gloss black, honestly I haven't decided yet if I want to carbon the interior parts but there is a long way to go until I hide it away 

20161111_134848_zpsbxnmxe1n.jpg

More work has been done to the engine, it's actually starting to look like a ferrari engine now. 

20161111_134634_zpsrkvymsjz.jpg

And finally I have progressed with the fuel cell that's been painted by making up some templates for kevlar decals and putting them on the visible when finished bits 

20161112_104842_zpsxodfavyg.jpg

And from the top 

20161112_104847_zpswslojcji.jpg

More to come soon 

Shaun

P.s sorry for the bad photos the lighting was crap when I took them 

• 3 weeks later...

Moving on with this but not much visible progress as much of it has been filling or essential but not noticeable work. 

So the body has had all the ducts added and gaps filled. The rear window inlets have been glued on and the window part filled in. The door hinge supports have been glued on as they give the frontal part alot of support. The rear deck broke when I took off the sprues in the window area so I needed to fix this and the rear wing supports have been filled and sanded back. And finally the whole lot has been primed to check the bad bits 

20161128_130412_zps7sqc16va.jpg

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 3

So moving on from my last (frankly crap) update.

After I primered the 2 main body parts last time they showed up some really bad parts on the filled rear side windows and a few bad bits on the rear wing support joins, these areas were fixed and I have put some more primer on which has shown no new bit that need attention so I can finally get some colour on once I mesh down the primer to smooth it out for what is generally a pretty hard colour to get perfect 

20161205_150622_zpsmelwznjs.jpg

20161205_150636_zpsyrkefxyd.jpg

Also I airbrushed on some tamiya smoke to the fuel cell to tone down the kevlar decals 

20161205_150749_zpsjktxocmu.jpg

A better picture to show how much the smoke is hiding 

20161205_150746_zpsj3lttgbm.jpg

Moving back to the engine bay, I have airbrushed the suspension parts and other parts with alclad duraluminium and added a few bits to the engine 

20161205_160920_zpsadzr2qjl.jpg

20161205_160958_zpsys0lny27.jpg

And finally a picture with the top of the engine bit on, just fitted no glue as it needs a lot more doing 

20161205_161010_zpsqkddh5b1.jpg

At this point now I really wish I had taken a picture of the engine when I received it just to see how far the engine has come 

More soon 

Shaun

• Like 1

More progress on the f40 finally 

I got a little bored of engine bits recently so moved to the front end. The front suspension arms have been painted and most of the structural parts for the upper bits are now in place. Most of this will be hidden once the body is on and all the over spray in the tube will be hidden when the interior parts go on.

20161209_112540_zpsohojweex.jpg

Back to the engine. I finished it off mainly with all the little parts so glued the turbos and exhaust system on 

20161209_112512_zpsbfzt17mb.jpg

More from the other side 

20161209_112526_zpsrmi9h0rg.jpg

I then looked at the instructions  (I know as a modeller I shouldn't do it) just to see how much and when they say goes on the top part of the engine, it wasn't much so made the decision to glue the engine to the floor pan 

20161211_185111_zpsuoh05ae6.jpg

I added a few more parts like the rear suspension mounting points, firewall and 1 of the fuel cells 

20161211_185020_zps5kp4bjuf.jpg

Looking at it I find it a shame now all the stuff I put on the front if the engine is now hidden from view forever but it needed to be done so oh well 

20161211_185055_zpsqzulhwbc.jpg

Also I stuck the interior tub in 

20161211_185006_zpsljgmwye0.jpg

Next step is suspension and the uprights, maybe soon I may have a rolling chassis. 

More soon 

Shaun

• Like 1

Thanks Keith. 

The last few days I have been working alot due to the festive period but have managed to get a few minor things done. 

It's only been a week since my last update for this but feels an awful lot longer and I think that's what is making me feel like I have made as much progress on this a I should have and maybe why I'm starting to hate the engine more and more each time I touch that bit. With that being said I have started in a whole new area just to change up the build schedule to keep the mojo intact. 

The wheels, They were all kinds of ugly below is a picture of the standard f40 rim and the one I will be using. As you can probably tell I have striped the lm style rim because unlike the matt chrome pre painted rims for the standard car the ones for the lm car were absolutely awful, there were bits missed, chips, smears that were ingrained through the whole layer. A nice bleach bath sorted that out though.

20161217_142523_zpsfokxlbzi.jpg

Obviously with my luck recently on some of my builds it wasn't just the rims that had problems. The inner rims and brake disks all had issues so they were treated the same as the first rim. Not too much of an issue with the brakes as I always planned on repainting them. 

20161217_142512_zpsvtuezfnu.jpg

Right so now going back to the bad luck on builds I found that the rear drive shafts were way too long to fit between the rear wheels and the engine so I have had to trim it down, I didn't want anything like that popping up at the front so just wanted a test fit to mack sure. As you will notice unpainted suspension arms and semi painted steering arms, which I have noticed has a crocodile tooth arrangement on the top surface so will try to see if I car incorporate workable steering into it. 

20161218_143815_zpsflea8149.jpg

Then me being me couldn't stop myself from chucking the body on to see how she looks. In my opinion the wheels are maybe a scale inch or two too small but there's not a big market for 1/16 rims like there is for 1/24 so can't change it. 

20161218_143707_zpsrvroxvqo.jpg

More soon 

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

I have this kit in my stash, somewhat stalled. I have partially built the engine, and had painted the body and chassis, but then it got put away for some considerable time. When I got it out again, I couldn't remember the Halfords' colour that I had used, so decided to strip it. The only thing that would touch the paint was Fairy Power spray. So, at the present it's on the to-do pile (Some time in 2017/2018 at my present pace!). My major concern was how to do the brakes so that they looked good through the spokes of the wheels. As far as I can tell, they are only the back half of the callipers. Have you had any thoughts on how you are going to address the brake callipers? If so, I would love to see what your ideas are. I shall keep looking at this build for inspiration. You never know mine might even rise up through the queue to the top...

Anyway, hope it goes well. They do look pretty spectacular, these Fujimi kits. (I have several of them, mostly Ferraris)

All the best, Alan.

Thanks Alan I have to admit this kit has given me a few headaches from the start, my main concern was the door window frames as they don't match the body lines at all unless you bend them alot so I am going to either really carefully cut them off and reglue in the right angle and shape or just make new ones altogether. The brakes i hadn't given them any thoughts just yet as I was just trying to get all the little bits done before the wheels and body but now you've said it I did have a look at them and they are dreadful aren't they, I think there maybe scope and enough material on the edges to possibly cast them in resin and cut the caliper parts from the cast to then use as the other side but then the whole hub/brakes/wheel assembly on this would make it a pretty big job so I think I may leave this till later on in the build to weigh up the pros and cons. 

Right so on to the car. 

As some who may read through all the above will see the brakes are crap and need some work but honestly until I make my final call on them I have sprayed the calipers in silver just to get the look. Also the suspension uprights and brake disks have been sprayed up with different shades of alclad 

20161228_133037_zpsaot5hflz.jpg

All the rims have now been sprayed in primer and rubbed down, now they are ready for another coat of primer but this time white primer 

20161228_132905_zpsyoooupk9.jpg

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

Right so it's a new year now apparently so I think it's about time for a small update before I have to get back to the less interesting part of my life (work) 

After painting them I really started to hate the shocks so cut them up and had a go at making them better 

20161231_132202_zpsqgmstavb.jpg

And the rears 

20161231_134413_zpszpocjcwl.jpg

Then just went ahead and started to make up the rear end 

20170101_115109_zpsgiob9rhb.jpg

20170101_115136_zpsxn2vmrr5.jpg

And then the front 

20170101_115151_zps1cn5lo4v.jpg

And lastly for this update I have sprayed to seat, I'm trying to get a leathery look to it and plan to try and get a nice semi gloss finish to it with some clear later 

20161231_192903_zpsxqdyk0lf.jpg

More soon 

Shaun

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Shaun,

I've been reading through this post and found it really interesting about how you've sorted out what was obviously a seriously damaged body. I like the way you've included the emotional feelings into the thread, it helps the reader get the reality of the build. It would be good if you described how you go about making altered parts, the shocks for instance. Do you plan to add more detail as you go along? Are you using an airbrush to paint the individual parts?

Great work, keep it coming.

Roly

Thanks for the comments guys, I am still working on this just very slowly due to other projects raking my focus at the moment (you will see some of them on the forum soon) 

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 0:08 PM, ROLY43T said:

Hi Shaun,

I've been reading through this post and found it really interesting about how you've sorted out what was obviously a seriously damaged body. I like the way you've included the emotional feelings into the thread, it helps the reader get the reality of the build. It would be good if you described how you go about making altered parts, the shocks for instance. Do you plan to add more detail as you go along? Are you using an airbrush to paint the individual parts?

Great work, keep it coming.

Roly

Hi roly thanks for the comment it's nice to know that people actually read through most of the writing. To answer your queries, I think so far everything has been airbrushed or sprayed with rattle cans maybe minus a couple of very small or detailed bits. With the engine bay I do plan to add what I can in terms of added parts, it will be better than the kit but probably a lot less than the real car, the interior parts I haven't gien much thought to yet and the body will have a few added bits also. The shocks were actually pretty easy to make I just cut off the ends to keep and used some gardening wire wrapped around a bit of painted sprue and then stuck the ends back on and put them in the car, ideally I wanted proper springs but could find any the size I wanted but have recently found a hobby shop on ebay that supplies hundreds of different size and thickness springs so I may pull them back off and redo them before the end. 

I hope that answers your questions well enough and feel free to ask more.

Shaun

Edited by shood23
The damn spell check on this today is doing my head in

• 1 year later...

G'day Shaun. Was wondering if there's any progress on this F40. I have the "normal"

version and I'm seriously impressed with some of the detail you've managed to

incorporate. Hope you've kept this going as the F40 is a visually stunning car.

Cheers & Beers

Richard H