Junglie Wessex 5 (early) 845 NAS RNAS Culdrose 1965...

heloman1

9 hours ago, FIGHTS ON said:

very nice, but complaining about too much sunlight & heat isn't going to win you many fans here in the wet, cold , soggy UK.........

Apologies for the weather report, I too will be compaling come our winter, have no fear... Wet and cool here today, good soaking rain, since around midnight.

Colin

PS. I see you are in Lee-on-Solent, where abouts,. We had married quarter on Richmond Road just down from the War Memorial. I did my last three years at Lee.

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

PS. I see you are in Lee-on-Solent, where abouts,. We had married quarter on Richmond Road just down from the War Memorial. I did my last three years at Lee.

I live in the new estate built around the Wyvern pub (now become quite an upmarket family drinking establishment rather than a hang out for Field Gunners. Every road in the estate is named after former COs of Daedalus or FAA aircraft - there is even a "Wessex Close" a couple of hundred yards from my front door! Since the closure of the airfield (civvy SAR flight still there) most of the matelot drinking "facilities" along the seafront have been turned into flats/retirement homes. With the announcement of the closing of Sultan, the Air Engineering will finally be moved to a location with the crabs - thus bringing the end of ANY RN establishment on the Gosport Peninsula.

Mind you there is a new Carrier coming to town later this year, although as I noted in an earlier post, supposedly with a crew of 700 rather than Eagle's 2750!

7 hours ago, FIGHTS ON said:

I live in the new estate built around the Wyvern pub (now become quite an upmarket family drinking establishment rather than a hang out for Field Gunners. Every road in the estate is named after former COs of Daedalus or FAA aircraft - there is even a "Wessex Close" a couple of hundred yards from my front door! Since the closure of the airfield (civvy SAR flight still there) most of the matelot drinking "facilities" along the seafront have been turned into flats/retirement homes. With the announcement of the closing of Sultan, the Air Engineering will finally be moved to a location with the crabs - thus bringing the end of ANY RN establishment on the Gosport Peninsula.

Mind you there is a new Carrier coming to town later this year, although as I noted in an earlier post, supposedly with a crew of 700 rather than Eagle's 2750!

Thanks for the heads up re Gosport/Lee area and the demise of the NAVY in that area, a sad loss to the long in that area, naval history of England. As long as the new carrier comes alongside in Light Admirality grey and not RAF Blue Gray, I'll be a happy ex matlot...

The crabs seem to be taking over the MOD in big measures... What a pity!

Colin

• Like 1

OK guys, no more brickbats re the heat out hear in darkest Africa. It is afteral our summer, you lost the sun in September...

Anyway as to progress on my build, with some overnioght rain to cool things down a tad. I cracked on this am with soem more detail work. It's laborious but hey it has to be done. Creep makes on the wheels and th eDANGER marlingat the tail rotor, courtesy of Stoppel Decals. If you don't know of them they used to print mainly Swedish codes in the 70's. I purchased a couple of sheets form the then Modeltoys in Portsmouth and what a fantastic model shop that was. Stocked the latedt form japan and Modeldecals too.. I used to drool!

Anyway back tot he present, here is waht I achived this am. The orderd decals from MAV in Port Elizabeth arrived at the PO today. So, a coat of Tamiya Glss Clear TS-13 just to seal tham. If you want a good scale shine on a car, bike model or maybe and aircraft, to which I have not yet treid have a look at a can.

Ok, I've got her up on her legs and I've added th eHF aerial stubs. I sliced out the back/underside with a Tamiy PE aslitting saw. On the location points to allow the thread I'm using to slot in and not be too obtrusive.

The exhausts have taken on soem burnt paint  and th esilver material of the blinds/blanks.

I also added the tail wheel yolk wher if snapped off using 5min Epoxy. I'm not convinced...

IMG_1756crre_zps4fjnfe5x.jpg

IMG_1757crre_zpsapanzhor.jpg

Her's the underside and you'll see the HF aerial posts at the back. They have Stainless Steel tubes to hold the cables in pace, I've use soft wire to replicate these. We'l see how it works whanI get to adding the wires... Italeri did ashocking job of showint the post locations, so al we can do is relate to phot reference. Thank again to the Italians for a half-baked job. maybe the pizza oven was cold that dat???

Until the next post, don't hold your breath...

Colin

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Colin W said:

Coming to life now with the deals on and looking great.

Colin W

Hi Colin, thanks a lots of progress today, I may even have her finished tomorrow. It's too hot to model this arvie. No air con here... The weekend starts with a glass of wine...

Colin

Callin this one done...

I got a lot of work done yesterday, HF aerials wires using Easyline and a bit of wire at the rear. Re-attached the tail wheel yolk added the exhuast and the pitot with 'remove before' tags. I had a make some more access panel handles which must have dropped off whilst masking and pinting. So number one under my belt for this year.

IMG_1766crre_zpslvczklv8.jpg

More pics, in the gallery.

Enjoy.

• Like 7

Quick Qu.

Why is the Pilot's window lined with what looks like red acetate?  Is this for sun protection in SE Aisa or as a night flying simulator for training?

Lovely work though. l wasn't too keen on the 'sand & spinach' until I saw it finished.  I like it now!

On 2/5/2017 at 0:08 AM, At Sea said:

Quick Qu.

Why is the Pilot's window lined with what looks like red acetate?  Is this for sun protection in SE Aisa or as a night flying simulator for training?

Lovely work though. l wasn't too keen on the 'sand & spinach' until I saw it finished.  I like it now!

Orange accetate to replicate the orange Perspex panels added to the cockpit to facilitate blind instrument flying.  Long before simulators became the norm.The pilot would wear green goggles which would leave him all be blind to the outside environment, thereby forcing him to rely totally on his instruments. The copilot/instructor would occupy the port seat and be ready to, take control if required. I only ever saw it fitted once during my time on 845. Maybe it was just a trial.

Colin

• Like 1