Junglie Wessex 5 (early) 845 NAS RNAS Culdrose 1965...

heloman1

OK, guys, here's my build the Italeri Wessex HU5 kit in 48th scale. I'm buildign the first Wessex HU5 I worked on after joining 845 NAS in 1965. This will be as far as practicable an out of the box build. I will however correct and add detail where necessary. I've already got a mega Wessex build elsewhere on BM all be it stalled.

845 NAS were the second squadron to be equiped with the 'new' Wessex 5' 848 NAS being the first.. My cab will sport the early engine intake, (pics to follow), a sand and spinach schemme with large squadron crests on the transmission platform asccess doors.

OK, the box art...

009crre_zpsrsswarqn.jpg

The parts, decal sheet and instructions...

007crre_zpshefv0tb6.jpg

My main source of reference along with my own vast Wessex reference...

010crre_zpstgra7uir.jpg

The Four + book really is the only reference you need, chock full of detail pics and superb scale drawings.

So until later, after I've been to watch the Barbarians match.

Colin

• Like 4

Hi Colin,

Looking forward to seeing your build progress.  My first flight in a Wessex was at CTCRM in 1965 followed by tactical experience on ex Twin Top around Malaysia in 1966.

Mike

I got quite a bit done yesterday afternoon before I went off chasing crims across the neighbourhood and then went to the watch the Springbok-Barbarians game. Well a draw isn't a loose...

Here is where I'm up to, with the cabin assembled but not painted the door will be closed on this build. Some filling on the fus, sides and the panel line a rivet detail. I'll rescribe and add rivets next. I'm using Tipex for the filling.

001crre_zpsx653lyt1.jpg

Here are the two fus, halves I'm using for reference. I stated a mega detail/correction build a while back but got bogged down with other stuff (apologies if I left anyone hanging, I will come back to it). There is quite a lot incorrect regarding the detail but don't let me put you off it's just me being pedantic.

002crre_zpsw0mm4q02.jpg

As to Scimitars request re the early nose. These are parts that were mastered for the ROTORcraft range, which may still be available from Frieghtdog.

003crre_zpsc5w6pdt6.jpg

The intake grill needs to be added along with it's framing, handles etc.

Now to find the rest of my Wessex reference books!!!

Colin

• Like 3

A quick update. Filled and sanded all the panel lines and rivet detail. Added Mr. Surfacer to the starboard side, will allow to dry/harden overnight.

004crre_zpseyera2be.jpg

Colin

Hi Tony, deffinitely as NAM1and only my second squadron, a lot was at stake. I'd just come down from Seahawk II and working in the  "Dope Shop" and unbeknownced to me prepping the cabs for my next draft... 845 NAS. What a hoot all of us around 19/20 busting to show what we could or could not do. Then the promisse of a trip far flung. A Grey Funnel Line cruise, all paid for by the tax payer. You can't beat it. or can you? What they didn't tell you was that you would be sharing a shoe box with 15 other guys...

Colin

Will be following this one, I think I am doing the colours but with a later set up, unfortunately I joined too late to experience the Wessex apart from during basics training but would have loved to have been involved with them, although I bet they were a bit of a pig to work on?

Bob

Hi Bob, actually they were an easy cab to work on. Only around a 164 grease nipples on the MRH, a doddle a did three full purges in one afternoon... I got out (73) just before I would have been drafted to Sea Kings, he, he!

Colin

• Like 1

A good couple of sessions on the fus, halves, correcting and adding panel line detail, plus rivets. For those I'm using my RivetR too, it works very nicely, just go to get the pressure correct, otherwise they don't show up.

Under the starboard fus, half is the new and made for 4mm sprue the pressure refuel/defuel nozzle. The kit part is a tad undersize and I also relocated the old style manual refuel covers. More detail to these areas to be added.

007crre_zpszmn3qijj.jpg

So, until later.

Colin

• Like 4

Ok, more good news post my house move. I found the box containing the Wessi 1 build I started a couple of years ago as an away build. In the box were the weapons platforms I had made a few years back but were too flimsy for resin casting.

So my Junglie Wessex will become an armed Wessi.

From left to right on the top row are, the 2" rocket launcher pod. Used in halved or two bolted together. Next the AS12 body and fin 91 of 4), the AS12 launch rail and then the wheel spat.

Bottom row, is the two platforms left and right. I'll be adding the support brackets to the fus, this week. The I'll have to fashion the support struts.

001crre_zpsnvhictlk.jpg

Colin

• Like 5

All I did was enlarge the drawings at the back of the 4+ book to 48th scale and build form there...

Colin

PS. Ian, you signed up for this build, as an ex Wessex grubber I know you're up for it.

• Like 1

Ah, I see.  I have that plan but it doesn't show the area under the 'table' too well, the frame in the image below.  I may have to do a bit of photo-interpretation here.

wessex_weapons_platform2.jpg

source:  WESSEX by Patrick Allan; published by Airlife.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Let me dig around Mike, I have a Weesex maintainers training manual which has an illustration and shows the different parts. In the pic above the basic frame is shown then there were add on wings outboard plus the misslie tube/bracket  attached the the tube in the front. Also some cabs didn't have the full grill across the intake. Then the early 5's had short exhausts. The Patrick Allan book is an good source for photo reference.

Note the dent in the nose, just below the hinge...

I wonder after almost 50 years, have those jungle clearing grown over?

Colin

19 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

I wonder after almost 50 years, have those jungle clearing grown over?

Just looked at Borneo on Google Earth and it is an airstrip now.  The photo was taken in 1965.

Mike

Just now, bootneck said:

Just looked on Google Earth and it is an airstrip now.  The photo was taken in 1965.

Mike

Well done mike. I'm busy chasing all the members who signed up for the GB.

Colin

Hi guys, I was away for the weekend down in Cape Town. A 500 k ride and only arrived home late this afternoon. I need to catch up with family this eve, so I'll only get back to my build tomorrow pm.

Colin

Some slight progress this week, added more corrections and detail. Adding the two strengthening braces aft of the oil cooler grill/fairing. They are quite promient and a sod to get right... once they are done, I'l add the piping  port side and above the cabin door, then the hinge brackets Still need to detail the cockpit and add the cabin windows before buttoneing her up.

011crre_zps4z5mk1zg.jpg

Colin

• Like 1