Junglie Wessex 5 (early) 845 NAS RNAS Culdrose 1965...

heloman1

I spent all of the week away from this build, concentrationg on my second build the Wessex prototype. However I found the doghouse screen/oil coller vent is better in the HAS Mk 3 kit, than in the HU5, so I'm swapping it over.003crre_zps53aam5hj.jpg

Until later.

Colin

• Like 3

On 15/11/2016 at 1:00 PM, heloman1 said:

Ok, more good news post my house move. I found the box containing the Wessi 1 build I started a couple of years ago as an away build. In the box were the weapons platforms I had made a few years back but were too flimsy for resin casting.

So my Junglie Wessex will become an armed Wessi.

From left to right on the top row are, the 2" rocket launcher pod. Used in halved or two bolted together. Next the AS12 body and fin 91 of 4), the AS12 launch rail and then the wheel spat.

Bottom row, is the two platforms left and right. I'll be adding the support brackets to the fus, this week. The I'll have to fashion the support struts.

001crre_zpsnvhictlk.jpg

Colin

Wow Colin,......those look brilliant!!!

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, this is where I'm at at the end of this week and the silly season almost upon us!!! I managed to get the fus, halves buttoned up earlier this week and then last eve the nose attactch and along with that and the under fuse insert my self too. OK, you can all stop laughing now. Yes well and truely stuck to the aft fus, with a fat blob of thin Syano... yes, trying to cut corners again and save myself an extra half hours work while I pealed myself off the model!!!

The half hour was pent removing the 5residue of the Syano after I peeled my fingers off the fus. The nose a resin ROTORcraft casting is a little ill fitting, supprising as I used and Italeri part for the master!!! Similarly the under fus, insert needed a little persuation and filler too. Just got to finish the cockpit detailing and add the screen/canopy and then the cockpit doors. Then I can clean her up and maybe shoot some sand next week.

The masking tape aft of the main rotorhead/transmission platform housing is the result of the oil cooler fairing not fitting too well... I was going to use the corresponding part from the HAS 3 kit which has the grills opened (as it should have) but it too doesn't fit too well...

So lots of extra/missing detail, rescribing of panel lines and add rivets...

051crre_zpsw9xw6die.jpg

Until later.

Colin

• Like 4

Well you are supposed to be modelling Colin, not just assembling. :)

Its looking pretty damned good for all the trouble its given you

( come on, with a base moulding from T H E M  how could you expect it to fit as it should.... ) 

Good day guys. Some small progress yesterday afternoon before a quick surf down blanket bay overtook me...

I started work on the intake grill frame and defined the botton edge of the ariel support structure. Instrument panel painted but now needs touching up... Hinge brackets still need adding.

004crre_zpskuiws3go.jpg

007crre_zpsvbwar4jw.jpg

A small amount of work on the tail wheel yolk and the extended aerial support post. If you look at pics of HAS Mk1's and 3's, they have shorted support posts. the HU 5's were extended to give greater ground clearance when flaring on landing.

010crre_zpszccnhzxv.jpg

009crre_zpszuykfcji.jpg

Two pics of the fuselage, just to show the amount of detail and correction work needed.

Hoping to get the intake grill finished this afternoon.

Colin 

PS. For those of you interested I made a little progress on the SA Navy Super Lynx yesterday. See the build in the Aircraft WIP section.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Right, after spending most of the morning getting my truck and rooftop tent sorted and cleaned after the weeks trip away. I mamaged to get the rest of the cockpit sorted and the canopy in place. I didn't get the main instrument panel attached to the one fus, half as everyone reccommended. I did however cut a short piece of plastic strip and attach that to the front of the centre console and then slide the panel up against that and ran some thich/medium syano into the top edge. A little fiddly but not too difficult.

So this is where I'm at as on now...

IMG_1685crre_zpsahur6qwy.jpg

The observant amongst you will notice the seats are at a slight angle (not quite verticle). Something to do with the holes in the rear bulkhead. I hadn't noticed but will note it for next time.

IMG_1686crre_zpsesrusydk.jpg

The canopy of course fits like an oven glove, not too well. So armed with the info from Hendies Wessex build thread. I attached the rearmost edge in front of the main rotorhead using MEK. I left that for a while and then used syano for the remained of the attachment. We'll see, as some filling is required.

Until next time...

Colin

• Like 6

Thanks guys for the kind comments. Re the canopy, once I had it in palce, I has to add filler to the port bottom edge as I'd lined the sides with the sliding access, that left the centre and stbd side looking desidely out of shape. Not to fear though because Mr Italeri has given us plenty of plastic with which to work. The shape that forms a contour below the windscreens is too exagurated and allows for some remedial work to get the canopy/windscreen to blend in. I used a fresh scalpel blade to carve and scrape the excess away.

OK, for todays work. I've been adding the external piping to both P&S sides. The port side is a lot more fiddly, as it has four pipes running from just aft of the cockpit to below the forward cabin window. I used fishing trace wire. it's maluable but twitchy to bend and keep aligned. I should have been used to it as this was what I used to do for a job (ha!) bending wire to form pipewok on petro-chem models. Anyway with some swearing and a lot of trial and error, I got them all bent up and atatched. There are lots of unions/elbows and support plates but hey, life it too short... so I left them off!  OK, I got Photobucket to play this morning so here are the pics.

IMG_1691crre_zpsc7vs6mvx.jpg

IMG_1690crre_zpspbisrkdk.jpg

The masking tape hold a pencil eraser. I kept damaging the cockpit steps and had to rebuild the starbord side ones!!! Maybe I should have made a cradle as I have another five Wessi's to build!

Part 13  x 2 (on the sprue withhte rotorblades) is the rear IFF aerial but is hopelessly over size, so I carved and filed the back away on the left is as moulded, on the right as it should look.

IMG_1694crre_zps7zdaf9wt.jpg

Colin

Edited by heloman1
added photos
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Colin W said:

Nice work on the plumbing. I used the kit parts but now looking at yours I wish I'd made it from scratch. 

Colin w. 

Thanks Colin, very fiddly but I think the effort was well worth it.

Colin

I like those pipes, I keep finding more of them to add to mine too

I do wish they'd kept the outsides tidier. :)

The IFF aerial as they provide it looks ludicrous, I played around (carefully) with the Royal Flight Wessex in Hendon paying close attention to its IFF when I was researching my HAR2, although prominent there's not really much of it is there

Edited by perdu

Ok guys, some small advance and I think I'm at  the end of adding the extra detail... I added the grill bracing struts into the intake and made up the grill using the kit supplied nylon mesh, tricky to work with... I added the framework using wine bottle foil and syano but managed to glue it to the cutting mat, to say the least it was a tad tricky to pry off!!!

The last part of the detailing includes the vent grill in the TTR GB housing. I wrapped masking tape arround the shape and the kit it as required, pealed it off and dropped it onto a sheet of Eduars etched grill set no, 00101 Mesh 4x4. It's stainless steel so should be good off-road use too! Brass would have been better as it can be more maluable.

IMG_1696crre_zpsdbnwxky9.jpg

Next up I added the remainder of the underside detail I had previously missed or removed whist filling and sanding. The disc far left is an aerial post the remainder are assess panels. I also did some work on the fuel dump pipes but more of that next time, it will however be added after painting.

IMG_1697crre_zpsg6cqf3qs.jpg

Lastly, she now up on her legs, more to save anymore damage to the cockpit access steps. I also remade the two steps on each of the radius arms. At the top of the oleo's I added the attachment plates. the rear one accepts the hoist frame front leg and not into a hole in the fus, as Italeri would have you do. The front part of the plate is the attachment for the weapons platform aft bracing strut.

IMG_1698crre_zpsmckj1npb.jpg

I'd like to get some paint on her before too long, so I think a wipe down with alcohol is needed to get rid of any grease form all the build handling. I bourght a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol for m my local pharmacy, a, to thin my Tamiya acrylics and b, for the clean down.

That's all folks...

Colin

PS. Yes Bill, the piping could have been a lot tidier, but I think some of it was added over the life of the cabs. The 5's airframe have a lot in common with the 1's and the early 5's less additions than the later 5's but not much. The 3's were either ugraded 1's or new build, so there will be differences there too. Yes the IFF aerial at the rear is quite 'delicate' I think mine even looks too chunky but it's now in place for keeps!

• Like 4

Well gentlemen, another productive day. I finished off the tail rotor GB grills, I'm not happy with the result and may just redo them!!! I added the straps which hold he steps to the radius arms, the Simons Fighting (anti-collision) light housing on the tail. Which I lopped off the lamp part as it was undersize and oval rather than domed and round. I'll find some red sprue for that and clear for the tail lamp.

Photobucket was a little slow in getting my pics, into my library but here they are...

IMG_1701crre_zps4wycvgoo.jpg

The strapping on the radius arms...

IMG_1700crre_zpsvpypyrds.jpg

The flotation bottle brackets with the bottles remover for maintenance...

IMG_1703crre_zpsbmmbawmh.jpg

Then something I should have shown you all at the beginning of the build and I apologies for not doing so. The decal which represents the anti skid work area aft of the MRH is too short front to back. This is because the grill  around the MRH is too long by about 2mm. in the pic the part on the right is the kit part, that on the left  is the reworked part. Some thinning to the underside is also advised to get the mesh or (incorrect PE for the H-34) part to fit well.

IMG_1699crre_zps01rpxxho.jpg

That's all for today.

Colin

• Like 7

some really nice work going on there Colin.  You've pointed out a few flaws that I didn't realize were in the kit... so if I ever do another one, I have even more to do than I did last time.

I know we slag italeri for the real mess they made of this kit - but would we really have been any happier if they'd got it perfect and all we had to do was stick two sides together, slap on some rotors and then throw it into the paint shop ?

• Like 1