My Wessie Threesome! Three become two.....

moaning dolphin

Good day everyone,

I've been waiting for the start of this GB for like, forever! So am just bookmarking my page. I am going to try for 3 of the blighters, 1st will be a 1:48th Italeri Mk5 version, probably done in the sand/green box version. Next up will be TWO 1:72 Italeri versions one a Mk5 of 771 and the final one a Mk3 version which will be the blue/yellow type (I already have a Falklands Humphrey). The 48th will have an eduard etch, I'm not planning to go all 'Hendie' on it but lets see how deep I get dragged in. The small Mk5 will be OOB with some aftermarket decals and will be a red/green SAR version. The blue/yellow bird will have a new radome, exhausts and dog kennel and I am not sure which version she will be, I think I have a couple of options (I can sincerely stipulate that on no account will the Mk3 be the all over yellow type!).

So that is my plan, phots to appear soon. I intend to build them together so instead of 3 different posts I will document all 3 on this post........if that is allowed mods?? So far this year I have pledged 6 builds in GB's and have achieved 5 with 15 days left to get the 6th finished (which I should do) so it would be quite unprecedented if I can keep that going. Looking forward to seeing all the varieties of this magnificent beast coming alive in this GB........

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 4

Well thanks all for looking in. You two in the front munching popcorn keep the noise down! Here we go to start, the obligatory kit shots. All kits have been scrubbed and ready to go although they may need a bit more of a dry! 

So first up will be the Italeri Mk 3 XM328. The instructions  say of no. 737 of HMS Antrim although that is the same for the all grey Falkland version. Not sure which is correct but XM328 was I think Portland based. This comes with a couple of Pala resin goodies

20161105_142721_zpsp2ish0vr.jpg

Next is the Italeri 1.72 Mk5.

20161105_143003_zpskgmwuokt.jpg

This will be XT471 of 771 Culdrose in a green and red scheme. The airwaves set there is an old set I had kicking around. I don't have a good opinion of airwaves so may not use any of it. I also have lots of different sized letters from Xtradecal as well as a Model Decal set as you can see. Eagle eyed spotters may notice something missing on the clear sprue. I need to do some investigation!

20161105_143213_zpskkgvw3ts.jpg

And my version

20161105_143235_zpsbx8ygatq_edit_1478368

Just on a note about the letters they do 4 6 8 12 16 18 20 24 30 and 48 inch letters. All well and good until I find I need 36 inch for the nose :wall:. A compromise may be in order.....I woder if any one would notice a missing 6 inches??

Finally is the 1.48 Italeri version (is this an Italeri GB?). 

20161105_144047_zpsdm5qfp8a.jpg

The etch in the kit will be replaced with this

20161105_143413_zpsiqzavpya.jpg

Eduard external and cockpit sets with a scale warships folding set. This set does look equisite especially the 3d printed parts. I am going to attempt to fold all my builds for the rotors but tails will be spread.

This will be the green/sand version from the kit. It was the maple leaf wot did it!

20161105_144217_zpstywzcnnj.jpg

So stay tooned for action strating anytime soon :D

Bob

Apologies for the smelling p*stakes above.  I am uploading this by phone and my sausage fingers can't handle the small buttons too well.

Now on my searching for that missing canopy I did discover this which may be suitable for this build as well

20161105_144304_zpsaoomatbv.jpg

Looking inside there's a pleasant surprise

20161105_144408_zpsoto0jnrs.jpg

Another 1.72 Italeri Mk5! Under 25% complete but with the tail lopped off. I could use this, although if I can't find that canopy it may turn into a sacrificial lamb.......

I don't think the Stuka qualifies as a Wessex,something to do with the short span of the rotorblades and it's herendous noise whilst diving.

Ditto re the noise form the popcorn munchers...

Colin

Whilst those popcorn munchers seem to be snoozing off the latest half dozen bags of said popcorn, I thought I'd put In a small update. No pictures just yet but I have been tinkering. I started off with the Mk3, now I had a couple of ideas for this, first was to take off the parrot beak nose and open up the intakes. My research however has suggested that it was only Mk1's that appeared like this, that would mean leaving off the radome and dog kennel extension and opens up a whole :worms: so I am not too sure I want to do that. I am still hoping I can find a reference of a Mk 3 with open intakes and will continue the build as such. If I cant find anything I shall just plonk the beak back on and hide the intake! Another difference I am finding is the exhausts. I always believed the kit exhausts (being straight pipes) were incorrect but it transpires they may be correct. I have got some nice resin exhausts with the bend in them but looks like they are related to a Mk1! The plot thickens.... I cant wait to start my Mk5 as that'll be a bit easier I think! 

My aim is to do all the airframe mods and additions before joining the halves so am busy doing that. On the Mk3 (and 5 I do believe) there are a humungous amount of additions. Some are quite prominent others not so, but it is trying to work out what I should put in and what should be left out. As we are talking 1:72 then a lot of minor stuff will disappear. 1:48 will be a different matter.

So to sumarise I need a bit more research on the 3 and then take some fots to show progress.........I'm glad we got a couple of months :banghead:.........must go know them popcorn munchers are starting to stir!

Bob

• Like 1

So we have a photo update, and to go with it a bit of a FUBAR with regards to the cockpit floor. I saw the Italeri version of the floor and thought the rudder pedals molded in the floor were awful and not representative so thought they can come off. Stick a bit of plastic backing and then ill fill it flat....

20161107_195832_zpsquwj0rst.jpg

Then discovered they weren't rudder pedals at all :banghead:. So punished myself with a bit of etch folding! Oh well it shouldn't be too visible! 

The two teenie versions had the internals part assembled and primed. I will paint this medium grey. The Mk 3 will have blued out windows so the cabin is bare. The Mk5 will have clear windows so the seats will be fitted to give the impression of furnishings. 

20161107_200045_zpsbwsygpin.jpg

20161107_200103_zpsvpalob1c.jpg

I erased the kit rudder pedals (which lead me to believe the larger ones protrusions were pedals).  I fitted some wire pedals in the conventional manner which are also wrong!

20161107_200053_zpsb5tck2zz.jpg

So these will need to be corrected!

I think I need to step back and think before I start chopping things up lol.

Next up will be some of the external mods of which at least I can get some decent ref shots.

Bob

Poor punctuation!

Hi Bob. Early Mk 3's did not have the Parrots beak fitted but inside the intake were two air bottles for the engine start. I can't find half of my Wessi ref, if I find soemthing later, I'll post a pic. The exhausts are correct bent ones on Mk 1's.

Looking good so far.

Colin

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rob G said:

LOL @ 'going Hendie'. You may have inadvertently invented a new BM meme.

Also, is it time for the Wessex GB already? Stone the crows...

I know time is flying at the moment! It'll be over before we know it!

8 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Bob. Early Mk 3's did not have the Parrots beak fitted but inside the intake were two air bottles for the engine start. I can't find half of my Wessi ref, if I find soemthing later, I'll post a pic. The exhausts are correct bent ones on Mk 1's.

Looking good so far.

Colin

Thanks for confirming that. I had found a couple of pictures of early 3's with out the beak, so that clears the way to play with the intake, and like I said if I screw that up then I can always fit the beak to hide it! Looking at pictures I could see the balls, very prominent! I even found an old cutaway which showed it nicely but it was labeled in Russian so I had no idea what they were, I almost thought they were some kind of flot bottle! I don't know if you can confirm but the intake looks like it has a back bulkhead and a large spherical fairing over the intake with those starter balls either side, would that be sufficient for this scale? I couldn't make out much else. Of course the grills will need knocking up! I'm glad about that because I do like the look of it with an open intake, and with the pitot probe in its upward stowed position it looks like a bizarre angler fish from the murky depths!

Bob

• Like 1

20161107_200259_zpsde9891t6.jpg

So just a quick run over some of the external mods I have done to the mk3. First up I noticed the steps were in the wrong place and size, so these were cut out and backed up with the original wrong uns filled, as was a filler cap on that starboard side. I opened up a hand hold above the engine access panel, this is a recessed bar with some grill as a backing. I think my grilling may a little large but it is difficult to go any smaller! I added a vent cover and also opened up another vent in the nose. The intake has also been opened up.

On the other side I added some prominent piping, there is still another one to add here but wanted to let these dry in place as I have to go over one of them. Same mods were carried out on this side as well, still need to check out those steps, I think they may be wrong.

20161107_200346_zpsamxvbfum.jpg

Finally some more grills opened up in the tail. My method for the internal grilling by the hand holds is to cut out the kit effort and sand the outside flat. I then use my dremmel and carefully (nay very carefully!) this the inside as far as I dare, and I have dared quite far but not yet gone through (touch wood!). I then just fix my grill material on the inside. But alas what is that grill material??? I hear you ask, well it took my ages to hunt down something suitable and everything was way too big. The finest thing I could find was a lace bag designed for filling with almonds at weddings, I got a set of 3 for a dollar (Under a quid!) which is more than enough for my needs at this time. Its easy to work with and it takes paint nicely....as long as you don't cake it on!

20161107_200333_zpsi2ohadt4.jpg

Well that's todays update, just for giggles I review @Hendie momentous build of his HC2, and I am not looking forward to doing that 1:48 version now! Oh the joys!

Laters all!

Bob

PB problems :)
  • Like 3

On 11/5/2016 at 2:19 PM, moaning dolphin said:

Apologies for the smelling p*stakes above.

which reminds me - be careful with the Italeri transfer sheet - they also have lots of spulink mistooks.       "NO AND HOLD" springs to mind, or was it "NO HAND OLD" ??? (and I'm sure there were a few others)

I'll be watching all these as I have a 1/72 to build as well but not in this GB

• Like 1

On 04/11/2016 at 6:50 PM, moaning dolphin said:

I can sincerely stipulate that on no account will the Mk3 be the all over yellow type!

I had to separate that scheme from the Decal sheet and used it as kindling on the BBQ. I made my son watch so that he'd understand as part of his education when he gets older and considers which of the 2 Armed Services he may wish to join (or does the Royal Marines count as 3?).....

• Like 1

Hi Fights on. Welcome. Lee-on the-Solent, I know it wel after spending the last three years of my service life there. I got married in Fareham, to a lovely WREN dental hygenist, who is sadly no longer with me. We had a married quarter on Richmond Road. I worked (ha!) in the Dope Shop mostly spraying cars at the weekends.

Colin

• Like 1

So progress has continued abound on the 72's, as the doors will be firmly shut then the internals have been scantily populated, the cockpits have been assembled and all are ready for insertion! The Mk 5 had the seats fitted but were only roughly painted to give an impression of a full cabin behind the windows.

20161108_200236_zpsisjq1ks3.jpg

The Mk 3 cabin was left deliberately bare as the windows would be covered in a blue haze which would make filling this space a waste of time so here is the sparse 3

20161108_200316_zpsrt5sxlcw.jpg

Before joining the 3's halves together I needed to do something with the intake, so I manufactured a bulkhead and secured that in, next was a spherical fairing that covers the intake. This was a bit more of a problem however....I trawled through my spares but couldn't find anything suitable. In the end I opted for a random, badly formed canopy that just required a little fettling to get some shape and then cut down to fit. The two large balls that are the air starters will come a bit later.

20161109_200226_zpsd6ypqo6p.jpg

As you can see I have painted the intake. This is a Model Master sea blue. It has bleached under the flash and in real life does look a tad dark. I will have to suck it and see if it is suitable. I may have to lighten it abit. Windows were fitted and a bit more piping was added

20161109_200248_zpshm0coh21.jpg

Once happy the two 72s were joined together and then a couple of days of filling, and sanding to get a smooth fuselage.

20161113_192847_zpszq0qrrkb.jpg

I would like to give these a quick coat of primer before I start adding all the ancilliaries and handles. The last thing I need is to be sanding with a load of fragile stuff for my sausage fingers to squash and break away! So that will mean I need to do a lot of masking. I wanted to paint the inside of the canopy black (I didn't want to go the way of doing the outside a black undercoat as it would appear shiny and would, I think, be noticeable at this scale. So am carefully doing the masking, then a prime and we shall see where we are then. In the mean time I need to think about folding these....

20161113_192923_zpsvnxxin3w.jpg

I have some ideas so will work on them during my 'down time' from the fuselage. That's about as far as I have come now, just a note on the fuselage side, It appears the kit is too long but I will just stick with that I think. To start chopping the tail cone up is a bit too far for me. I am certainly of the "if it looks like a wessie, it is a wessie" brigade.

Thanks for looking in

Bob

On 11/8/2016 at 9:49 AM, moaning dolphin said:

Well that's todays update, just for giggles I review @Hendie momentous build of his HC2, and I am not looking forward to doing that 1:48 version now! Oh the joys!

pah! if I can do it anyone can.... just one bit at a time

... for nearly two years

• Like 1