My Wessie Threesome! Three become two.....

moaning dolphin

• 2 weeks later...

I've been chipping away over the last couple of nights and here is where we are at

I have cracked on with the blades, going for a medium sea grey as opposed to the later (?) green and black. The tips were done in RLM yellow after a white under coat. I opted to do all three wessie blades at the same time to make things easier. Also constructed was the blade saddle, a plastic strip

20170124_181451_zps79vwtrxg.jpg

and plastic rod for the arms. I will attach the blade saddle to the blade later

20170125_191250_zpscl73xhpe.jpg

Again I did the 2 together and this is the result

20170124_190418_zpsbxstq2xl.jpg

Unfortunately on the 5 you can see where I got a liquid poly finger mark which melted the Matt top coat and decal. I tied to remove the white smear but it wasn't going to budge. I shall deal with that later.

Blades were decalled and the supports cut out from thin plastic card. I used the 1.48 etch set to gauge size and shape. Also some of the decals shifted when I added Sol but luckily I can have this on the inside of the blade

20170128_173844_zps46nsjsbo.jpg

And then simply wrap the support around the blade although this stage was a touch messy. A touch up will be required!

20170129_163618_zps9yragdsf.jpg

The rotor head was fitted in the correct position and the saddle and support were painted in Vallejo red. 

20170129_190301_zps4lhstz0u.jpg

Finally on the blade support a small recess was drilled to locate the saddle rods, this was filled with glue and the cuff was given a dab as well. Then it was down to a lot of time and patience but in the end I was quite chuffed with the result

20170129_192054_zps56navwwc.jpg

20170129_192104_zpsjdbzxsgu.jpg

Next is to sort out the Mk 3 to the same stage and then add all the ancillaries hopefully before the end date!

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 3

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 7:47 PM, perdu said:

dammit man, now I'm wondering if I shoulda gone for folded blades   :(

It saves space but can't help thinking it looks like a bird with clipped wings, albeit an ugly bird with a guppy mouth!

2 hours ago, FIGHTS ON said:

Looking really, really good. I have a spare "2" i would be happy to send you, but would take some days to reach Canada

Thanks for the offer but I have only just started a full sheet of numbers so have plenty spare.

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement, its going to be one tight GB! So inbetween everything I have managed to get the MK3 rotors on, Previously I showed the build up of the blade support and then a picture of it fitted. Here is a shot to show the attaching method on the blade.

20170202_180959_zpsiha0bvst.jpg

The hole is where the points of the support poles will fit in. I drilled it slightly larger than the rod as it sits on the point of where the two supports meet. It doesn't look much but provides a substantial support. Another note is the blade support has 4 strengthening ribs visible on it. I tried numerous things to try and replicate this but couldn't do it neatly so I improvised with a bit of plastic rod to represent that, artistic license is well and truly applied.

So with the blades on it was time to see how they looked

20170202_181834_zpscgt9ijxl.jpg

and with them side by side, you'll also notice I have managed to repair the smudged decal on the Mk5

20170202_181821_zpslavuskar.jpg

And from the front, looking rather nice but I am still not happy with the gaping intake on that Mk5, I may revisit that slow time after the GB.

20170202_181834_zpscgt9ijxl.jpg

Finally a close up of the rotor head arrangement, it was a bit of a pain chopping up the head and repositioning the blade cuffs but I think for this scale it was worth it.

20170202_181845_zpsldev31mh.jpg

So that is were I sit, I need to fit all the aerials, and other ancillaries and hopefully I can call that done, I think my biggest sticking point will be the 5s exhausts which I have stripped down to smooth and am attempting to recreate those 3 ribs on them, or I may just fir some grossly oversized blanks.....:devil:. I am hoping that this goes on to Sunday midnight (local time!!) then I should have a fair chance of getting it all done!

Thanks for looking in

Bob 

Edit: just a quick note on the Mk3 blades, I did try to put the kit decal markings on them but unfortunately they just broke up and died, I really didn't have the enthusiasm to mask and spray them on so I have bottled it and just left them off!!

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 2

Damn and blast it! Missed the deadline by literally 1 minute. 2 mins to midnight and the gallery is locked. Oh well in my mind I got it done in time! I think I need a rest!

Bob

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind encouragement, during the rush to get them done there were bits that I realized were missing, like some (more) handles and other paraphernalia that hangs off them. I will spend a couple of hours and then retake a few more fots in better light as the MK3 looks a bit black and yellow! I will put it in the Main RFI when complete.

Bob