Reference Thread

Just a question about the Mk 3. Some have the 'beak' where as others have an open intake. Was the beak just a simple add on? Can I just leave it off and open up the intake?

I'm talking about the 'Humphrey' nose by the way :D

MD, I believe the fairing was added later in the life of the MkIII, its main role was as a FOD guard with the added bonus of reducing intake anti icing, a bleed from the compressor was used around the lip to reduce icing, just like the MkV intake piping. 

All the the pictures I have a Portland cabs around 1980 had the fairing fitted. 

Thanks for that, it has transpired that early ones didn't have it fitted and I have seen flying photographic evidence so am quite contented to attempt to build it with an open intake. And like I said in my thread, if I make a hash of it I can always just slap it back on and pretend it never happened!

Bob

Hi all,

If you are looking for a Auxiliary Fuel tank for your 1/48 Wessex then I have 10 available. You get the Tank, EMRU body and support arm. All for £8 each.

This will only be for collection from Telford this weekend, I'll be there both days.

Cheers the Woo.

OK just for information, I was looking through my collection of SAMIs and they did a feature on the Wessex ages ago. Just for giggles I thought I would measure up the Italeri wessex. Now I know there are inconsistancies with SAMI drawings but it looks like the rear fuselage is way too long! Or are the drawings too short? I'm certainly not going to be cutting the kit up if it is wrong but what are peoples thought on this?:analintruder:

20161109_172245_zpst1750spg.jpg

Edited by moaning dolphin
Long winded picture posting technique!

I seem to remember I checked mine against some drawing or other and it all seemed to fit (within reason).  Caveat: I'm old now and my memory could well be playing tricks.

Looking at the drawing you show, it does appear that the Wessex is a little "dumpy", but I'd wait for more qualified BM'ers to come along before taking my word for anything.

It may be worth starting a thread for what's incorrect on the Italeri Wessex.  Actually 2 threads - one for the 1/72 version, and another for the 1/48 version.  They would certainly be useful for future Wessi builders

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hendie said:

I seem to remember I checked mine against some drawing or other and it all seemed to fit (within reason).  Caveat: I'm old now and my memory could well be playing tricks.

Looking at the drawing you show, it does appear that the Wessex is a little "dumpy", but I'd wait for more qualified BM'ers to come along before taking my word for anything.

It may be worth starting a thread for what's incorrect on the Italeri Wessex.  Actually 2 threads - one for the 1/72 version, and another for the 1/48 version.  They would certainly be useful for future Wessi builders

Great idea Hendie. 

If you measure the 48th Italeri kit against the 4+ drawings (suitably enlarged) it is spot on. However the 72nd kit is 4mm too short, the error appears in the transition form the cain to the tail cone. Freightdog have a plug in the ROTORcraft range to correct it.

Colin

9 hours ago, noeyedears said:

dolphin

those SAMI drawings of the wessex, any info on where i can get them from?

Hi, you'd be better off with the 4+ book.

Colin

Hi

When I was messing about with the Revell 1/48th kits I got 2 sets of plans inc the ones from SAMI and they were quite different. I wrote to the FAA Museum and Westlands for plans and the same chap replied for both as he hid the same job in both places. He sent me another set which agreed with the original set and showed the SAMI plans were wrong. The 4+ ones were published later agree with my other 2 sets so Im going with those..

Cheers

Colin

10 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Hi, you'd be better off with the 4+ book.

Colin

hi Colin

i have the 4+ book but unless i have a page missing it doesnt appear to have a left hand side view of a has2 (i am trying to rescribe it)

john

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 3:40 PM, noeyedears said:

dolphin

those SAMI drawings of the wessex, any info on where i can get them from?

They are from SAMI volume 7 issue 7 from July 2001. I'm not sure if they'll do back orders that far.

Bob

Ok, guys, here are soem othe reference works I have in my collection all invaluable for modelling any Wessex.

003crre_zpshl3yrp71.jpg

001crre_zpsvnaas8jz.jpg

005crre_zpsfobmux00.jpg

004crre_zpsh6r2fump.jpg

002crre_zpsrb5dxntb.jpg

The last work RNAS Culdrose, is just general pics of aircraft that operated od visited Culdrose. Nothing specific.

Colin

I'd say so too

It is definitely on Her Majesty's Royal Walter in Hendon

5AceHendon103_zpsac9c76ac.jpg

It is also inside the HC2 XR525 in Cosford

I can't find a picture yet out of the hundreds I took of her when I decided she'd be the one to make next

This one only shows the armour shields but if it wasn't for them...

Wessex%20day2%20057_zpszapqwxpm.jpg

I've loads of pictures of 525 but most of them are bare files in my pooter, not many of them are hosted anywhere

I uploaded these when Hendie was doing his masterclass/masterpeice so they might help him

• Like 1

As requested elewhere, the dims and drawings for the weapons platform plus a page fromthe grubbers training manual.

001crre_zpskfswqs69.jpg

002crre_zpsqgjxgdvd.jpg

This page is fromthe 4+ book Westland Wessex ISBN 80-902559-0-6 posted withhtier kind permission. A serious reference work forthe Wessex modller. Now can we please have the Whirlwind choppers?

003crre_zpsp3qj7hal.jpg

Go and build guys...

Colin

Wessex HAS Mk31A/B intake...

crre_zpsusfeavgg.jpg

005crre_zpsll4ok8ga.jpg

The engine start up bottles seem to be the same as the cool gas generator bottles (not always fitted) for the flot gear. However once all the mesh grillwork is added over the intake, not a lot could be seen.

Colin

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:22 AM, heloman1 said:

Wessex HAS Mk31A/B intake

Excellent pictures, would this be the same for a MK3 with the beak removed?

Another question.....

Can anyone shed any light on the trunking arrangement for the underside of a MK3? I have been trawling through but cant get a nice clear picture or diagram. I'm having to make do with weird angles and trying to piece things together like a jigsaw! I have come close with this flickr album of Predannack in Cornwall. A word of warning they are all in a sorry state and there are a couple on their sides including a Mk3 but I can only find one shot of the underside and it isn't greatly clear. Anyway there may be some good other details pertaining to RN Wessi.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=predannack wessex

Bob

On 11/17/2016 at 11:22 PM, heloman1 said:

Wessex HAS Mk31A/B intake...

crre_zpsusfeavgg.jpg

005crre_zpsll4ok8ga.jpg

The engine start up bottles seem to be the same as the cool gas generator bottles (not always fitted) for the flot gear. However once all the mesh grillwork is added over the intake, not a lot could be seen.

Colin

31A only, the B's had mesh fitted.

The subject of those shots is 827, the sole remaining 31A we got it out of storage from H de H at Bankstown for the FAA museum in 1983.

It was a bare shell and we rebuilt it out of leftovers and some parts or the wreck of 825. It was later given away by one of the more bone headed 

museum directors. Quite annoyed by that.

• Like 1

I'm having some fun installing ribs inside the port fuselage and I'm getting to the point of adding the windows/hatches and the sonar gear

Before I lose access to the windows I need to know if the observation bubble window is blued out like the flat ones

I will be making a blank door ( and saving a good un for later) ;) rather than painting over the window

Can anyone advise please?

Have been watching this Group Build with interest, the Wessex being one of my personal favourite Helo's I thought I would share 

some of my pics with everybody they may be of use to somebody

Wessex HU5 Weapons carrier

31201378725_4e09f5eaf2_c.jpgIMGP2718 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

31087320731_293acb3b44_c.jpgIMGP2717 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

31201379975_c6343ffe2d_c.jpgIMGP2716 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

Wessex HAS3 Weapons Carrier

30834197660_bfecfccb55_c.jpgIMGP4490 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

31165576996_def8e83f8f_c.jpgIMGP4489 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

Wessex HAS1 Rotor Head

31201452005_c1c062db2e_c.jpgIMGP9143 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

Wessex HAS1 Winch

31165524876_80c49cbf90_c.jpgIMGP9126 by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr