Type 26 Cuts Steel in Summer 2017

4scourge7

4 'F's and 4 'G's? (rather a lot of E's in the fleet at the moment so skip that letter). Furious, Fearless, Frobisher, Fortitude (I think Formidable may be one of the new SSBNs) Glorious, Galatea, Glowworm, Greyhound

Or how about classical/mythological figures again (Leander etc). Or lets re-do the tribals!

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:48 PM, Francis Macnaughton said:

These ships are going to be 6900 tonnes displacement (8000 full load) and 492 ft long - 2000t and almost 60ft larger than their Type 23 predecessors.

Perhaps some cruiser names would more appropriate!

The Leander class would fit then. It would be nice to see a revival of some of the traditional names.

On 04/11/2016 at 6:32 PM, TallBlondJohn said:

4 'F's and 4 'G's? (rather a lot of E's in the fleet at the moment so skip that letter). Furious, Fearless, Frobisher, Fortitude (I think Formidable may be one of the new SSBNs) Glorious, Galatea, Glowworm, Greyhound

Or how about classical/mythological figures again (Leander etc). Or lets re-do the tribals!

Cant do formidable.. That's an French ssbn 

• 2 weeks later...

Must be "E"s - probably with HMS Elephant (as we already have a Victory & Vanguard in service - Nelson's Flagships). Naming of ships after counties/cities only works when you have lots of ships so no one feels left out, sadly, that isn;t the size of Navy we have anymore. (Nothing more annoying than as a Pompey native, serving on a Pompey based ship to have some Geordie,welsh,scouser visit your ship and tell you that it's "theirs" - mind you, I once had that Diane Abbot bird visit "my" ship once.....bloody hell, what an obnoxious woman! "why do you discriminate against wheel chair users on your ships by having such high door sills" ?????? 

This link is interesting;

http://ukarmedforcescommentary.blogspot.co.uk/p/future-force-2020-royal-navy.html

20 hours ago, FIGHTS ON said:

Must be "E"s - probably with HMS Elephant

Is that Pink Elephant or White Elephant? or is it the one standing in the corner of the room?

..........I'll get my:coat:

• Like 2

On 09/11/2016 at 8:40 PM, Stealthman said:

It'll be interesting to see which naming process is adopted for these. A new 'County' Class would be appropriate ?

The type 23 'Duke' class have used a couple of the traditional 'County' names, so I think  a 'Town / City' class more likely, but personally I would love a return of 'Leander' class names.