1/72 - Messerschmitt Bf.109A/B/C/D by Arsenal Model Group (AMG) - released - new B-2 boxings

Homebee

• 5 months later...

A type well overdue for an up to date version, the Heller one getting a bit long in the tooth & the Avis one being a bit challenged in some areas by all accounts. Let's hope this one addresses those short comings.

Steve

• Like 2

I really hope that some of the subtle differences between (A?),B,C,D are addressed.

Not a full list but:

Not wanting to ramble on about how I feel about the (A?)/B1 vs Prototypes/B series classifications: 'A' should have long wing leading edge slats (if we want to call it 'A').

Oil cooler needs to be positioned differently for 'A'.

On A and B the exhaust pipes don't particularly protrude out of the cowl, they do on C/D with slight differences in those too.

It's something we can rescribe, but the starboard fuselage electrical socket is in a different place on the 'C' compared to B.

To get a really nicely contoured chin intake would be wonderful.

Nice, firm mounting for the undercarriage legs would be lovely, as would wheels that are nicely moulded, OOB, wells that allow the wing halves to actually close.

A transparency that actually fits the fuselage, and is not overly thick.

You can tell I've tried to build the AVIS many times; and ended up throwing every one in the bin. I simply do not believe the reviews of that kit I've read.

The Sword 'D' was quite nice, but it's rare now.

I'm really, really looking forward to this, I hope it addresses some of the above flaws in previous manufacturer's attempts; I for one will be buying around ten if it does.

That's less than the number of Avis/ (superior) Heller I have in the stash :D, (ready to sell if this is good).

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit mystified by the way the wing halves have been molded. the lower wing has a very strange outline which does not seem to align with any existing panel lines, resulting in some very annoying seams to be filled on the lower wing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sroubos said:

I'm a bit mystified by the way the wing halves have been molded. the lower wing has a very strange outline which does not seem to align with any existing panel lines, resulting in some very annoying seams to be filled on the lower wing.

I'm not following you on this - it appears to me that the leading edge of the lower wings matches the leading edge of the upper wings, and the trailing edge of the lower wings corresponds to the leading edges of the (separate) flaps and the ailerons. Dozens of kits are designed this way - the "seam" is the hinge line between the underside of the wings and the flaps and ailerons, so no filling required. Or am I missing something?

Overall, the kit looks great, to me, at least - I might even be forced to buy one, in return for AMG's promise to do some 1/72 Yakovlevs, of course... ;)

John

Take a look at the outer wing panels, John. Underside the seam passes through two rib panels.

Frankly, I view this as possibly an easier seam to repair than some tradition ones. Only when I get a kit and start applying glue will I know for certain, so I'm keeping an open mind. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Greenshirt said:

Take a look at the outer wing panels, John. Underside the seam passes through two rib panels.

Frankly, I view this as possibly an easier seam to repair than some tradition ones. Only when I get a kit and start applying glue will I know for certain, so I'm keeping an open mind. 

Ah - my mistake; I'm sorry, sroubos! But yes, Tim - I agree with you - it's easier to sand down or fill if necessary a seam that goes through the middle of a panel than one that follows a panel line which then has to be restored after you glue the parts together.

John

• Like 1