Ww1 horror of the trenches

kpnuts

Hi all well some of you may know my son bought me some first ww model kits for my birthday then casually dropped into the conversation he would like them in a dio for his school (he's head of history) first problem, I'm ashamed to say I know next to nothing about ww1, second problem the models he bought are from different periods of said war so can't be used together, second problem solved I will do 3 or 4 vignettes showing the start to end of war.

After a bit of research I've made a start on the trench (this is for school 12 to 14 yr olds ) I want to depict how horrific it was but need advice on how far to go I intend to have a shell exploding in the trench so would it be OK to show limbs blown off.

Anyway here's my start, I realise I have to do the step up ledge and started to excavate the dugouts I realise I need to add the corrugated tin above the dugouts, also I need to find a way of making loads of 1/72 scale sandbags.

245gfow.jpg

2yzhirq.jpg

2e67p7m.jpg

• Like 1

On my scene, which you saw on Revell-ations, the children were more upset by the dead horses than by the dead men.

I think just dead and wounded around the explosions would be sufficient.

Milliput for sandbags. Make a snake of it, press flat and nick into sandbag size bits with a craft knife. Don't cut all the way through unless you need individual sandbags

Unfortunately, death is a result of war and in my opinion, to be historically accurate, the full horrors of War should be included.

I'm not saying that death needs to be rammed down their throats but as 12-14 year olds, I would guess that they will have seen far worse on YouTube and the internet!

Alternatively and prior to building the dioramas, a discussion could be held with the kids, to see how they would like to see things presented, maybe to even get involved with the project, thus introducing history and model making at the same time?

Hi all well i spoke to Mike and he said do what you like, he's shown them pics of the trenches that he thinks are far worse than anything I could portray so here is the next installment.

o873ix.jpg

2m5auki.jpg

huog08.jpg

2eolimq.jpg

I pinched the idea of the explosion from Ian W

Obviously his was far better but in my defence I've only just started, there's no colour or smoke I've not attached bits of ladder or other debris (or body parts) 

I'm quite pleased with the outcome so far.

• Like 2

I really like what you are doing with that explosion, but one small observation if I may? The light is too cold, if you know what I mean. Can you change the bulb to a warmer light? If not spraying Tamyia Clear yellow and Orange would do the trick. 

Yep as I said I've added no colour yet I usually use red yellow and either brown or blue depending on the atmosphere I want to create, it's also far to bright at the moment but once I add the smoke and stuff it will dull down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Badder had posted an opinion that you should not include any dead or injured and he explained his reasons for that opinion.

Looks like he changed his mind about something.

Yeah, I flushed my opinions down the loo, because they are just my opinions and ultimately the theme of the diorama and the scenes depicted therein are as I stated entirely up to Kpnuts.

While I'm not going to repeat my opinions, I do think that the 'explosion' is fantastic.

Rearguards,

Badder

H,i all need to cool it down a bit, I think the explosion is still too hot and still have to add debris and stuff but pleased with progress so far. I'm actually quite enjoying this even though it was sort of forced on me and is not my normal genre, maybe I should do more stuff like this.
2eeehb5.jpg
nd7exf.jpg
2e3wd8j.jpg
zodv1j.jpg
122nf5s.jpg
nbqe88.jpg

• Like 6

Hi all here is the next bit, I remodeled it a little bit, I stuck the smashed up ladder and other bits of debris, then I kept looking at it and thinking what is wrong with it? Then it dawned on me they were broken but unmarked, no scorching or burning, so I've fixed that but it still seems wrong, any suggestions.
1604klw.jpg
106zjh2.jpg
2cehhko.jpg
2mrczeq.jpg
14u9jj6.jpg
2vsltoo.jpg
milxsg.jpg
15nakpw.jpg
33v0wtk.jpg
bjao10.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all well i think this is finished (unless someone can tell me something is wrong with it) next one will be the start of the war, lots of mortar holes and mud. Will take some better pics in daylight.

23kuo74.jpg

287i53q.jpg

2igdeud.jpg

2q3ykg3.jpg

hsufd3.jpg

260de74.jpg

15y89ci.jpg

• Like 9

You've definitely captured the kinetic effect of Aritillery, nice job and such a historic day to call this project finished being 100 years since the end of the first battle of the Somme.:poppy:

• Like 3

Hi all made a start on the next one, this will be set prior to the trenches one so will basically be a muddy field.

k1ula0.jpg

2vv8ggz.jpg

The depression in the middle will be filled with muddy water .

• Like 2

Hi all here is how I did the explosion I got the idea from Ian W I've changed the method a bit but this is basically it, obviously it needs colour and smoke yet but this is the basic start of it.

2mdqc5k.jpg

5caud2.jpg

9015yc.jpg

10z1f28.jpg

2qx2idu.jpg

14469dv.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all well since Mike wants these done for after the Xmas break I thought I better have a go at my worst subject the planes, I've started with the easiest and this will be the crashed one, I've done a mock up of how I visualise it, I've borrowed the the battlefield dio base for this, when I do the Base I'm figuring on doing it in a grassy field or corn field with the Victor flying over.

Did they have parachutes then as if they did maybe I will have the pilot somewhere in it gliding to safety.

54y3wj.jpg

n5g6s3.jpg

awoqxg.jpg

• Like 1

No parachutes.

Only the German balloonists had them.

German pilots got some late in 1918

idea; take some stretched sprue and have it sticking out of the ends of the broken wing pieces, with some tissue lightly applied. Fabric covered wings dont break the same as metal ones. The internal wood breaks and the fabric rips or folds.

• Like 2

Hi all I did say planes were my nemesis, here is where I'm at, now, I don't know why I have so much trouble with planes.

wthpn4.jpg

21q8w9.jpg

15cij2v.jpg

This is a simple plane I've no idea how I'm going to cope with the rigging on the tri plane, still trying to get my head round the rigging on this one.

• Like 3

Hi all well the first one in the series is done I've put the two together since that is how they will be displayed, I'm quite pleased with the outcome so far.

345dmko.jpg
17qxpk.jpg
nurye.jpg
23hnblu.jpg
30xdjxv.jpg
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all well here is the next installment, I was going to do this crashed in a green valley in the summer but then I thought, this is supposed to be showing the horror of the war, so I decided to have it crashed in a cold snow covered muddy field, so here is the revision, personally I think it looks really cold.
2qd6495.jpg
k0oock.jpg
28hiqeu.jpg
wks3tk.jpg
cuejd.jpg
a4r3no.jpg
vzycy9.jpg
  • Like 4