British Operated Dakota

Hello, fellow Britmodellers.

I've finally got round to finding an image host and worked out how to download images so here is my first RFI post.Still working on the photography but here is the 1/72 Esci C47 kit built out of the box with decals by Ray Charles.The aircraft represented is the long-serving Double Scotch in Air Freight livery 1975 just prior to the company's name change to Skyways Cargo Airline.

I know the model lacks the mixer air intakes on the exhausts and the HF ariels something I will address on the SCA build.

• Like 1

Nice! :)

I remember seeing these Air Freight (later Skyways Cargo) Daks at Gatwick in the 1970s doing circuits and bumps.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Really nice Dakota, I too remember seeing Dakotas flying out of Baginton airport in Coventry operated by Air Atlantique, at one point it was a great place to see DC-6's DC-7's, DC-3's and Electras.

Great job on this kit though, it's a nice civilian scheme to do it in as well.

Rich

Thank you all for the kind comments.Those were the days Martin when Gatwick was quite enough to accept training  traffic.I have a picture on the study wall of a Morton Air service Dakota performing a single engined go around  .Rich, yes CVT was always interesting you never knew what was going to turn up next.Builds wise the Air Atlantique fleet figures namely G-AMRA and MPZ .

• Like 1

Ah yes, Morton. The Daks and Herons :)

I was lucky to get a jump seat trip in G-AMRA LGW-AMS-LGW overnight in 1979. It was Air Atlantique but on the BCAL night freight service that was also operated by a Bristol 170 at one point. I remember opening the side windows and watching the snow flash past! ;)....

Martin

Nice build of this classic plane - also had once a chance to get a ride in a DC-3 operated by Classic Airlines - or was it Airways? - in the mid 80s when I was around 10 to 11 years old. The flight was from Zurich to Geneva, then visiting the "Automobile Salon" in Geneva and flying back to Zurich. They furnished their DC-3s with nice leather seats and served Champaign during the flight. Thanks dad for having organized this great adventure.

Cheers,

Michael

On 04/11/2016 at 16:07, RidgeRunner said:

Ah yes, Morton. The Daks and Herons :)

I was lucky to get a jump seat trip in G-AMRA LGW-AMS-LGW overnight in 1979. It was Air Atlantique but on the BCAL night freight service that was also operated by a Bristol 170 at one point. I remember opening the side windows and watching the snow flash past! ;)....

Martin

I also took a flight on G-AMRA before regulations put pay to passenger flights 

30279720554_b6eb5672c3.jpgThanks for the further kind comments.

Around 1979 it was not uncommon to see Two or Three Dakotas  at  Gatwick.I remember G-ANAF of Air Atlantique having a small Bcal crest and titles applied below the Cockpit windows.Here she is after a Heathrow diversion on that LGW-AMS-LGW contract.

Edited by jyguy
  • Like 1