Revell 1/32nd Junkers JU 88 A-1 Battle of Britain

Hi all

Haven't done a Work In Progress build for a long time, so thought I would bring this one out for one ^_^ I'm currently reading "Battle of Britain - A day to day Chronicle" by Patrick Bishop, so the model fits in nicely with that

This model was bought when I went on holiday this year to the Isle of Wight, where we had a stop off at Hendon and a short detour for me to the Hannants shop down the road. Would have been a wasted opportunity otherwise!

The model cost me just £5 as it was from the second-hand section, but it was sold knowing some parts were missing so I will have to work around this as best as I can. Still, couldn't leave it at that price he said foolishly!

So here's what I've got to work with:

WP_20161030_10_09_59_Pro_zpsdazidujo.jpg

WP_20161030_10_10_15_Pro_zpsbs1wxblb.jpg

WP_20161030_10_10_21_Pro_zpssj4ta8aw.jpg

Most parts look to be still on the sprue and all the major parts are there as far as I can tell. I noticed one half of a aileron from one of the wings was missing, but should be able to replicate something to look like this.

Now to get started on all that lovely internal cockpit detail! :)

Cheers :rolleyes:

Edited by Hypnobear
  • Like 4

Made some more progress on this one recently - all the internal parts in the cockpit have been assembled and various other parts constructed. Certainly is a good amount of detail in that cockpit and very time consuming to put together :)

Just when I thought I was going to get away with having nothing that I couldn't easily fix missing from this kit though, I have noticed a missing part! The fuselage cover just behind the canopy (part B5 from the second photo) is missing :o It's a long shot, but don't suppose anyone out there has a spare part for this? Otherwise, I'm plotting to have a go at scratch-building a bit from the lid of an ice cream box!

WP_20161103_19_40_22_Pro_zpslsqmieti.jpg

WP_20161103_19_41_11_Pro_zpsej4nhjbi.jpg

All parts assembled, next step is to the paintshop for all that internal detail...

The Junkers has been to the paint shop over the weekend, and has come out with the interiors all painted and ready for the next stage of construction.

I used Humbrol and Revell paints brush painted for all the interiors. Not sure what the correct grey should be for the cockpits of Luftwaffe aircraft or it's closest Humbrol equivalent, but I went for Hu 156 for the basic colour and the seats in Hu 53, then added black on the instrumentation. All the dials, seatbelts and other details were painted carefully on afterwards. I went for Revell 40 for the wheel wells which is like Humbrol's Hu 91 Black-Green - I think I've seen undercarriage bays on German planes as dark green, so dark green it is for this one

Certainly does look nice when all put together! :)

WP_20161106_13_07_33_Pro_zpsalcvhovl.jpg

WP_20161106_13_08_21_Pro_zpsq7jjgz9f.jpg

WP_20161106_13_08_52_Pro_zpslvtfydzn.jpg

• Like 6

Can't you get the missing parts from Revell? I'm just assuming that this is still available, if it isn't just ignore me....

Other than that it's looking good...it must be huge!

Ian

That does look like it is going to be a big one! And that cockpit detail does look impressive, especially all painted up.

As for any missing pieces, shoot Revell an email with the part numbers you need. Most companies will supply a part, sometimes without cost - but sometimes with a small fee depending. Wont know until you ask.

Good luck.

Thanks for the comments :) Nice to build something big, but not sure if I'll be saying the same thing once I start painting the camouflage...

I think I will try contacting Revell for the spare part, I wasn't sure if they would only replace parts that were actually missing from a newly bought kit, not one like this that was already second-hand. Won't know until I try though, so I'll give it a go

I'm actually building this along with Revell's 1/72nd BV 222, so even though this is a good sized model, it's still smaller than that beast of a flying boat! :o

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:39 PM, spitfire said:

That looks great, I've one of those lurking in the loft, must get around to it one day

Cheers

Dennis

It is a great kit to build, and it assembles really quickly once the cockpit is all together. I've still got one more of these 1/32nd JU 88's left and two of the Heinkel HE 111 P's in the stash!

As an update, the Junkers is fully assembled now apart from the liable-to-snapping-off-easily parts I would add on later and the missing part behind the canopy. I've sent Revell an e-mail about trying to get a spare part sent, so this Ju 88 might be taking a short hibernation for a while to see if anything turns up, but it will be back ^_^

Will take some photos tomorrow of the model in it's mostly-constructed state

23 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looks good, hope you've got somewhere to put it!

Thanks, I don't think I've properly planned that far ahead, but would be nice to have it hung from my ceiling once it's done :)

Here's the Junkers now fully built minus the odd few pieces and that bit that's annoyingly missing. The other significant part which was missing was one half of the left aileron, but I managed to fashion something to fit from a spare FROG 1/72nd Tupolev SB-2's wing to go in it's place. Might not be a perfect replacement, but sometimes you've just got to work with what you've got

WP_20161112_12_04_01_Pro_zpstwv5ey7b.jpg

WP_20161112_12_05_08_Pro_zpsgrsmbdmn.jpg

WP_20161112_12_05_33_Pro_zpsf8tlfy0x.jpg

And lastly, a size comparison between a 1/32nd Junkers JU 88 and a 1/72nd Blohm Und Voss BV 222 - told you that flying boat was a monster! :blink:

WP_20161112_12_06_43_Pro_zpsovk0mbr4.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well, no reply from Revell unfortunately about the missing part for the Junkers, so time for Plan B - make the part out of an ice cream container lid!

I've cut a part and crudely fitted it the best I could from a plastic lid - it's not the best outcome, but at least it should mean the bomber will make a resurrection to the finishing line ^_^

Here's a few photos of the makeshift part placed over the gap on the fuselage I had to fix. Also had some time to paint the undersides Humbrol 65. Next up is some lovely work on the two tone splinter camouflage - more coming later...

WP_20170416_10_18_00_Pro_zpstl3xo52m.jpg

WP_20170416_10_16_48_Pro_zpsni8n1e1p.jpg

WP_20170416_10_17_14_Pro_zpsdzn87sxo.jpg

Edited by Hypnobear
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update for this one ^_^

The Anton Junkers has been to the paint shop and received it's upper splinter tone camouflage, and is now looking very green! The upper side camouflage has been brush painted using Humbrol 86 for the lighter shade and Humbrol 75 for the darker, which are my preferred colours for standard Luftwaffe splinter tone schemes

The plastic cover I placed behind the cockpit to cover the missing part seems to have blended in nicely with the rest of the model once painted, so I've got away with that

WP_20170418_18_26_10_Pro_zpsdiwthszk.jpg

WP_20170418_18_24_50_Pro_zpsbw65cf1x.jpg

WP_20170418_18_25_31_Pro_zps75tk3mbo.jpg

WP_20170418_18_25_54_Pro_zps4p2syp8n.jpg

Just decals left to go now and this monster is done!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:24 AM, k5054nz said:

In my experience Revell don't reply regarding spare parts, they just turn up after a few weeks!

Beautiful work, by the way.

I never had anything back from Revell at all, and as I'm not as patient as I should be being a modeller, I decided to improvise instead :)

I've just realised that I never did post photos of my finished Junkers JU 88 A-1, but I've been very busy lately with work and a holiday to Budapest (with an excursion to Budapest Aeropark included ;))

Here it is finished. The model is now hanging from my ceiling banking over the computer desk! I hope you enjoy taking a look at the photos - strangely the greens appear completely differently in these photos (might have been due to the time they were taken maybe?)

DSCN0467_zpskwag5fgc.jpg

DSCN0466_zpsmgonxqbg.jpg

DSCN0477_zpsvo5pqyiu.jpg

DSCN0470_zpszurcfm2n.jpg

DSCN0475_zps9dqzvxoq.jpg

DSCN0479_zpshozcnijm.jpg

Not bad for a model that cost me £5... B)

Edited by Hypnobear
  • Like 4