Red arrows to get new aircraft

cathasatail

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:27 PM, JohnT said:

Perspective - Edinburgh has and had a flagship award-winning pubic bus service.  Someone thought it would be a good idea to replace one of the bus routes with a tram that does basically the same thing.  Projected cost? £400 million.  Finished years late with massive citycentre chaos but construction cost over £700 million with another £200 million still to pay in interest. Plus the cost of the public enquiry which finds no one to blame. And not counting the cost to retailers that went out of business as their streets closed for a year while the road was ripped up.  So my point is if we can spend that sort of money on a vanity project to replace a bus with a tram surely we can afford a little more on HM Forces. It's our money in the end of the day that they spend. How would £900 million have fixed the Reds up?  Problem solved I suspect.

John

PS and in the end they only laid tram track on half the proposed route after running out of cash !

I think you meant PUBLIC bus service John??:D:D. !!  Speaking as a fellow resident of God's own city I do of course agree with you. Given the electric white elephant on wheels really only duplicates the existing service 22, I would suggest therefore that the Reds could operate 9 surplus Volvo B7TLs !! I am trying to imagine an opposition barrel roll involving a pair of bright red 12 ton buses!!:lol:

Allan

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

I think you meant PUBLIC bus service John??:D:D. !!  Speaking as a fellow resident of God's own city I do of course agree with you. Given the electric white elephant on wheels really only duplicates the existing service 22, I would suggest therefore that the Reds could operate 9 surplus Volvo B7TLs !! I am trying to imagine an opposition barrel roll involving a pair of bright red 12 ton buses!!:lol:

Allan

Freudian slip or keyboard error.  I leave it to you to decide!

• Like 1

Just now, JohnT said:

Freudian slip or keyboard error.  I leave it to you to decide!

:lol::lol: And there was me thinking a Freudian Slip was an item of ladies underwear!!

ALLAN

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Allan

There are plenty of shiny red Routemasters in London looking for a home these days as well.  And they wouldn't need any smoke generating equipment, being quite capable of producing their own, albeit in a dirty grey colour only.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/11/2016 at 6:03 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

The smoke could be a problem on Texan 2's.

The exhausts are at the front and the jockeys

need to be able to see where they're going!

(Not to mention the mess down the sides!)

Doesn't seem to be a problem with the PC-9/A's operated by the RAAF's Roulettes over many years.

That said, I've seen both the Red Arrows and Roulettes in action and the Red Arrows left our team in its wake. To be fair, the Roulettes have the team as a secondary duty (they're all full-time instructors at CFS) and the PC-9/A is very manoeuvrable but nothing demands the audience's attention like a jet! I'd hate to see the Red Arrows lose a jet-powered platform as the Roulettes did (they used to have Macchi MB326's but the Hawk 127 was considered too expensive and valuable an asset to be used as an aerobatic mount).

If you want something that will produce smoke, there are plenty of F-4 Phantoms in long term storage at Davis-Monthan. You could get 9 of those plus a few extra for spares. There's a bunch of Harriers there as well...Oh, wait! Too soon?

• Like 3