Red arrows to get new aircraft

cathasatail

Hi all,

Just read on the BBC that the defence secretary has stated two key things:

1. The red arrows will stay in operation

2. The team will get new aircraft in the "next few years"

So, the obvious question is: what aircraft will they likely have?

(I would like to see them reform with red f35's or typhoons personally :D but that doesn't seem likely...)

Kind regards,

Edit: link, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37833311

Edited by cathasatail
Link added

T.1's with less hours.......

Or T.2's

Guy

Edited by F4u

If they were equipped with the Texan II I would rather see them disband; it would just not be the same. 

Speaking to a blue from the team a few years ago, I understand the plan was always to re equip with the T2 in 2018. He did mention that some manoeuvres would have to be rejigged due the different handling characteristics.

I would have thought that national prestige and promotion of the British aerospace industry would demand the aircraft be a home grown product;

Perhaps some tranche 1 tiffies currently in storage could be rolled out for a re spray? The team could be then have a wartime footing  just like they did in the 80s and 90s when they would become part of the Mixed Fighter Force (MFF IIRC). I can but dream 

Edited by andy wood
  • Like 2

As there are few years before the purchase all sorts of opportunities may arise- Licence built Boeing-SAAB  T-X's ?  Leonardo M-346's? Not just for the RAFAT, but for the RAF in general...

Hmm well as the newish T2 will loose support from what I gather one can only assume that it will be  MLSP mk1,.....but sounds like complete bs to me  there are plenty of mk1 and 1a around.

Of course the sensible decision is to disband the crimson crabs and reform the BLUE HERONS.   It's obvious!!! FLY NAVY .

Ps I love them really

Edited by junglierating
  • Like 2

Bicycles! Some manoeuvres will have to be rejigged, for instance all that flying stuff but other than that it'll be a fine marker for British Governmental forward thinking (and we won't be able to get Visas to enter Europe by then anyway).

Duncan B

Written in jest (it would have to be tandems anyway)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Bicycles! Some manoeuvres will have to be rejigged, for instance all that flying stuff but other than that it'll be a fine marker for British Governmental forward thinking (and we won't be able to get Visas to enter Europe by then anyway).

Duncan B

Written in jest (it would have to be tandems anyway)

the japanese do something similar with little mopeds decked out like planes

The way I read the long term plan several months ago, one of the Hawk training units that provides aggressor aircraft for training may be moved over to Typhoon F.2s, freeing up new or low hour Hawk T2s for the Red Arrows.  Not sure if that will come to fruition however.

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

does seem likely they will get some T2's though the billion dollar (or million pound ahem) question is how many, suspect it will be than a few less the current number

Well in order to support a Team of 10 aircraft you'd need significantly more than 10.

• Like 3

Nonsense, British built aeroplanes! What could go wrong?

Ahem, sorry, must be these pills.

The smoke could be a problem on Texan 2's.

The exhausts are at the front and the jockeys

need to be able to see where they're going!

(Not to mention the mess down the sides!)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

100 Sqn don't operate the Hawk T2 neither does 736 NAS; they both operate the T1/T1A.

The only T2s currently on the inventary (28 airframes)  are those with IV Sqn at RAF Valley.

But there are plans to move them over to the T2 eventually, as the Hawk T1 will be phased out across the RAF, and thats the switchover I'm talking about - moving certain training squadrons over to the Eurofighter frees up T2s with no additional purchase needed as they are part of the planned buy.

As Debs says there is only 28 T.2's so could it be T.1A's with lower hours then move on to whatever later on ? I also heard it through the grapevine that it would be T.1A's.......

Guy