Revell Ju88 A1 - Built as B3+HM ('H' White)

This will be my second Britmodeller build. Lots of half done 'practice' kits, but this one is special. This particular Ju88 crashed onto my fathers house in Merton on the night of the 19th of September 1940. It was flying at 16,000 feet when the pilot lost control and it dived across London finally ending up on my fathers house just across the road from the Nelson Hospital. It is reported that the aircraft was hit by AA fire. It is reported by several eyewitnesses that the tail section detached. Several pieces of debris were scattered on its decent. It exploded on impact and a fierce fire resulted from the incendiary bombs it was carrying. My father was in the anderson shelter in the garden and none of his family were injured. The next door neighbours were in side their house in a strengthened room with their 2 week old baby. They survived also! The first picture shows what was left of the house.

dbc93035ad88eaa2026ff564d9fd8f24f4f51ca1

The reason why we know so much about the aircraft is because one of the crew manged to bail out. The crew of B3+HM was as follows: Pilot Oberfeldwebel Max Rohrig, Observer Feldwebel Hermann Fischer, W/T Gefreiter Kurt Neuman and B/M Feldwebel Wilhelm Schlake. It was Schlake who survived landing on a house in Clapham Park. He was brought to the Nelson to have his injuries treated, those he recieved climbing down the drain-pipe of the house he landed on!

Several pieces were recovered including the MG and hatch from Schlakes possition. As you can see, yours to view for 6d!

IMG_4987_zpsmhd7hnsf.jpg

This aircraft had additional MG 15's added to the B-stand on of the pushouts was recovered with the opening for the MG visable. This would have been an early mount, rather than a ball mounting that would be added to later marks. The composite picture below shows the actual part recovered as well as a crashed aircraft with similar fittings. The other shows a later ball mount fitting.

Slide1_zpsz8ox5ahm.jpg

Finally I will be painting the underside black as shown in this example. During the night raids part of the Blitz, many aircraft were blacked out on the underside and even the markings! There are records of German AA batteries being warned not to shoot at aircraft just because they had black undersides!

BW-photo-Junkers-Ju-88A-KG54-ground-crew

For this build I will be using the Eduard cockpit detail set together with the placard set. Quick-boost MG magazines and exhaust pipes. I will also need to get some additional MG-15's as well as some nice metal barrels!

• Like 7

First build update. I primed the cockpit side walls with Tamiya Black, then sprayed RLM 66 as the base coat. I then added some white and highlighted some areas. I have now begun the process of adding the Eduard details. Some of the placards are very tiny! The method I am using for this is to use cleat drying PVA wood glue. This is by far the easiest way I have found, lots of wriggle time and it dries clear so easy to hide any overspills! I cut the PE on a nice piece of perspex. This surface doesn't allow the IMG_5014_zpslepigqgf.jpgIMG_5013_zpsuew4pru9.jpge to bend, like it would on a cutting mat and also allows the knife blade to cut through, which is not possible if you use glass.

IMG_5012_zps2inzpzpk.jpg

Greggels, yes it will be!!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice project and fantastic back story, if houses were insured in the 40's did they pay out?

I don't know the answer to that! Good question! My grandfather worked for the gas board, he was on night shift when the plane crashed. Fortunately the local warden was a family friend and met him at South Wimbledon tube when he returned and was able to brake the news! After the war they move about 5 streets away from Richmond  Ave where the 'plane crashed! I was born in the Nelson some time after!

Edited by Westside Dad
  • Like 1

I sounds like a lucky escape for all envolved.

Try Hannants they have that type of stuff, if it was 1/48 I could help you out with black letters.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&product_type_id=all_decals&code=&scale_id=953&keyword_search=Ju+88&setPerPage=25&sort=0&search_direction=asc&save_search_name=&save_search=

They also do sets of just letters numbers etc.

Love the starting point to this build, the personal links and primary source knowledge.  I don't know much about scales over 1/72, but do you mind if I take a pew and follow?

Simon

You could perhaps paint the code letters. I did this myself with my 1/32 HE 111 1H+EM. The scale makes it quite doable - all you have to do is find the right font and make templates.

12642836_10153360659028359_4340143277525

Painted the fuselage area white first, masked the white E; then painted the entire airframe black and masked 1H and the M. Then painted the camouflage colours.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elger said:

You could perhaps paint the code letters. I did this myself with my 1/32 HE 111 1H+EM. The scale makes it quite doable - all you have to do is find the right font and make templates.

12642836_10153360659028359_4340143277525

Painted the fuselage area white first, masked the white E; then painted the entire airframe black and masked 1H and the M. Then painted the camouflage colours.

Yes, masks are a possibility but I am not sure that I have the skill!

9 hours ago, Nomis61 said:

Love the starting point to this build, the personal links and primary source knowledge.  I don't know much about scales over 1/72, but do you mind if I take a pew and follow?

Simon

1/32 is great for those whose eyes are starting to take longer to focus (if at all)! Although not sure SWIMBO is quite aware of how big this is!

• 2 weeks later...

Some small progress. A very small console that attaches to the starboard cockpit side. Sorry for the quality but no daylight!

IMG_5023_zpskfqyumne.jpg

This is it in position below.The ruler is in cm. The levers are tiny! The knobs on the end were made by dipping a pin in PVA an touching it to the end of the lever. If you pull it up the surface tension makes it form a sphere. A couple of applications and it was done! Just painted it brown and attached the whole thing with super-glue!

IMG_5027_zps1hhzoyoc.jpg

• Like 2