Operation Granby Jaguar armament question

mike kippenhan

Hello all,

I'm building Hasegawa's 1/72 Jaguar Gr 1, using the Pavla ejection seat and Kits-World Operation Granby decals. I don't do many jets so references are sparse.

The kits contains BL 755 Cluster bomb and Matra LR 155 rocket pod and I have some extra Sidewinder I want to put on the over-wing rails. Unfortunately the kit doesn't include a drop tank. Can anyone tell me if these are correct for the Gulf War?

Thanks in advance

Mike

7 hours ago, alex said:

never heard (or seen) a Matra pod on a desert storm Jaguar. But absence of proof is not a proof of absence.

Matra pods were not used by RAF Jags over the Sandbox. You could try robbing a pair of CVR-7 pods from Airfix's Harrier GR.7/9 kit.

Cheers,

Andre

During Op Granby Jaguars carried an ALQ-101 ECM pod on the Port outboard pylon, a Matra Phimat Chaff pod on the STBD outer pylon as standard. On the inner pylons they could carry 1000 Lb bombs x4 on the tandem adapter, Improved BL755 Cluster bombs x4 in the same arrangement, CVR-7 x2 (one per pylon) rocket pods and Fuel tanks. On the centre pylon either a fuel tank or the Recce pod could be carried, although 1000Lb bombs x2 were carried as the fuel tanks were carried on the inner wing pylons  during the early part of the war. Then of cause they did carry AIM-9L/Ms on the overwing pylons. Hope that this is of some help.

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

Outer pylons as per Jabba's post.

Overwing pylons AIM-9L/M only

Inner pylons: Fuel tank or tandem beam with 1,000lb iron bomb or BL755 (NB only 8 used during war), or single pod for CRV 7 or CBU-87 (latter two items fixed direct to pylon, not on bomb beam).

Centreline: Fuel tank, or tandem mounted 1,000lb iron bombs or BL755. 

IIRC, the BL755 were used early in the war and might have been on the centreline pylon, as ops started with the underwing pylons (inner) carrying fuel tanks. This was then changed to a single bag fitted on the centre and weapons on the inner pylons.

CRV7 was an urgent operational requirement; problems with the software integration led to the urgent procurem

• 2 weeks later...

If you have access to one, the Airfix kit for the Jag comes with a centerline fuel tank.  I robbed one for my Hasegawa build (still need to finish that one...).  Not sure if it is dimensionally accurate, but it looks the part.

Mike

The Desert Storm boxing of the Hasegawa Jaguar pops up regularly on eBay and typically doesn't go for too much (£10-15), it comes with two drop tanks. Sadly does not include the jammer and dispensers which were standard at the time. For me that is the main limitation of the otherwise pretty decent kit.

Hasegawa-172-Jaguar-GR-Mk1-A-Desert-Sche

The Italeri (Revell rebox) has all the goodies but detail is not great and some people on this forum have complained about the accuracy of the fuel tanks. I believe it also carries the recce pod.