NEI Glenn Martin bomber kit?

JohnMacG

I'm looking for a 1/72nd scale kit of the late-model Martin 139WH-3'3A (AKA the Martin 166). For those who can't place a 139WH-3, it's the one whose most recognisable feature is the long glass 'greenhouse' on top of the fuselage (along with many other changes from the standard B-10 type).

I'm looking for ANY kind of kit, limited-run injection, resin, vac-form, conversion - anything.

Of course I don't expect firms like Airfix or Hase to produce one, but I can still hope for from of smaller producers,  but I know it probably won't happen, at least not while they're churning out 'Luft 46' twaddle.

• Like 1

Your only option is the Williams Brothers B-10 kit, which has just recently been re-released.  You would have to make the long canopy yourself, as well as whatever other modifications are necessary for the 139W.  The kit itself is from the 1970s, and might be regarded as "limited run" by today's standards.  A decent kit, and reasonably accurate, but requires a bit more effort than your typical Hasegawa or Tamiya offering.  Think early-2000s MPM.

Cheers!

Steve

Edited by Steve N

You may want to wait for someone to come out with a kit.  The changes - compared to a B-10B - are pretty substantial: new nose section, the long canopy, different nacelles and engine cowlings, and the biggie - the wings are different.  Compared to the B-10B planform, the 139WH-3 wing looks like a C-47 wing; the trailing edge is almost straight. 

Jimmaas,  thanks for this info about difference in wings. I did not know it. It enhanced stability of plane - shifting back center of aerodynamic force. Older profiles did not show it, modern -did.

BTW - here is basic article on NEI Martins: 

https://thejavagoldblog.wordpress.com/background-info-book-1/airplanes-2/glenn-martin-b10-bombers-in-dutch-service/

and decals set for Java Sea war in 1941-2

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=205227

Cheers

J-W

P.S.

Martin 166 completly out of scratch:

http://maquette72.free.fr/amis/GMazon/2012_173_gm139/index_g173.php

Not perfect but really impressive - although without "DC3" style wing...

Edited by JWM
addition PS

Thanks  all!

So, no kit. Pity.

Jim, I corresponded with you about the WH-3 differences some years ago; I've thinking trying to convert the Williams B-10 kit for a long time now, but the more I think about it, the harder it looks, to the point of near-impossibility. Or maybe I'm just getting old (wiser?)

It is strange tho' that a plane that was built in fair numbers (85 went to NEI, if I count correctly), saw MUCH combat and a variety of markings (3 Dutch schemes, Thai, Japanese & USAAF), hasn't attracted somebody to kit it.

To add to the differences already mentioned, I believe the plane had a modified bomb bay from the earlier model which changed the external shape of the fuselage as well.

It's pretty much a completely different aircraft.

Don't be discouraged with the 139-WH3 not being a viable build. Go with the Williams Brothers B-10 in NEIAF markings. It's too interesting a project to throw by the wayside. I'd be interested to see how you proceed with the build as I am thinking of doing the Martin B-10 in Dutch markings also!

Don't throw in the towel yet. Build on!!

Cheers Paul